New house, new pellet stove. Lots of questions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
You didn't happen to check the auger with the door open, did you?

You can test the auger motor by cutting the wires and splicing them into a regular plug in with wire, if you have something like that around…either way I hope the new auger motor fixes it.

You can test the auger motor by cutting the wires and splicing them into a regular plug in with wire, if you have something like that around…either way I hope the new auger motor fixes it.
I do not believe I am capable of that kinda thing. I'm interested to learn for sure, someday!

Reactions: Washed-Up
Well! Still NOT working. I'm devastated. I know the baring is still good as it is spinning wonderfully, better now actually...

But it doesn't work....movement. Everything in the stove is working, we have a call light and everything. I'm beyond confused. Here is what happened up until it stopped working.

-The entire stove was cleaned, but was still in operation at this point.
-Combustion blower was cleaned out and new seal was put on by husband. (Stove was not ran after that)
-We put on a new tee joint, which required the stove to be moved ahead a few inches.
-My husband didn't like that the stove was sitting on boards (back and front end both had 2 each) so he threw it on something else that was thicker because it now was off even more due to the pipe change.
-Once stove was moved and put on something else it was not level (not sure if it was prior) but it was making a noise after it was moved. I noticed it told husband. He shimmed it called it a night. Stove ran and used all the pellets, had a good strong flame, best we had seen since buying the house. Probably from all the cleaning and the new pipe!

That is the timeline leading to the discovery of the stove not working. I am unsure what to do at this point. I've completely cleaned the hopper, got a brand new auger motor after the failed attempt at cleaning and re lubing the old one. I've checked all wiring, Cried. Cussed. walked away. Cried some more. Prayed. Checked the fuse. Tried it again. Cussed again. Contemplated throwing it out in the snow. Sat on the floor contemplating why everything in the house sucks.....

Someone help me. My poor husband is just not a handy man, bless his heart....he just isn't. So I need to fix this or we will have to pay someone to fix it or buy a new stove...and I'm not about to spend my money when I'm willing to fix it myself!

Must be. :p

image.jpg

OK you need to see if voltage is getting to the auger motor,when the call light is on. So you have to be careful as stove will have power to it.

Holy crap. That is gibberish. So, I have to open the junction box? Make sure the augur wires go to the right junction? Test while the call light is on?

OK see that diagram, you need to have one probe on the black wire,at the motor,you should be able to "back probe" the connector, push the probe in the back side of the wire terminal housing/connector.
The other probe you touch to any part of the stove that is clean metal,not painted.

OK see that diagram, you need to have one probe on the black wire,at the motor,you should be able to "back probe" the connector, push the probe in the back side of the wire terminal housing/connector.
The other probe you touch to any part of the stove that is clean metal,not painted.
There a whole lotta black going on in there. I had to dismount it because its hard to get into..

image.jpg

There a whole lotta black going on in there. I had to dismount it because its hard to get into..

View attachment 289901
You don't have to be in there. But while it is open, look around for any discoloration on the terminals,the plastic coverings turning dark. That would be a sign of a poor connection.The place you need to be is at the plug in connector very close by the auger motor.

You don't have to be in there. But while it is open, look around for any discoloration on the terminals,the plastic coverings turning dark. That would be a sign of a poor connection.The place you need to be is at the plug in connector very close by the auger motor.
Okay. Gave myself a good chuckle for being a total imbecile. All looks well in there.

As you can tell I’m not good with diagrams.
So after your last message, this is what I’m seeing.

OK that white connector at the motor, check for power on the white wire to ground, while call light is on, if you see no voltage,check the black the same way.

So, look at the diagram, you need to find the vacuum switch. See the red wire on it,going to the junction box? you need to test for power there. If it is inside a harness , try checking both wires.