New Stove Reviews

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HighHeat22

Sep 29, 2011
southern michigan
Giving up on quadrifire act 3100 after this season. Have tried everything possible and have to replace this under performing stove. Ive been cking out several new stoves. Has anyone purchased a cleveland iron works wood stove the medium one. I see a couple of reviews online but would like to hear more reviews from Hearth members. Have 1800sq ft ranch with stove setup in living room. A neighbor just bought a Kuma insert and its absolutely fantastic but its very expensive.

There was a thread on this a while back. It was being sold by Lowes for a little while under the Master Forge brand. It's a new company with a new cheap stove. There's not a lot of info on it. If more heat is necessary, it could be the house is losing heat too rapidly? In value stoves consider the Drolet Escape 1800 or maybe an Englander.

I don't think you ever described how you are operating the air controls on your quad. They really are pretty good performing stoves the only issue is common cracking of the air manifold in the back

Yes, the Quad 3100 is a straight-forward tube stove with a good track record. Years ago precaud did a detailed comparison of the 3100 and the Kent Tile Fire. The Quad did quite well there.

Reactions: bholler
There was a thread on this a while back. It was being sold by Lowes for a little while under the Master Forge brand. It's a new company with a new cheap stove. There's not a lot of info on it. If more heat is necessary, it could be the house is losing heat too rapidly? In value stoves consider the Drolet Escape 1800 or maybe an Englander.
Ok. I will ck out both those stoves. Thank you.
I don't think you ever described how you are operating the air controls on your quad. They really are pretty good performing stoves the only issue is common cracking of the air manifold in the back
Ive burned for 20yrs and have had several great performing stoves. Ive explored every option on this quad. Im getting 5 to 6 hr load burn times and thats simply not working. I need something thats going to give me at the very least 8hr burn times. Several people have commented on my previous posts on this stove either you get a good quad or a bad one and unfortunately this is a bad one. Its time to move on I know what a good stove works like and this isnt it. So im exploring options and looking at reviews on stoves. I have 2 friends that have quads and they are both beasts. Neither are this 3100act model. I do appreciate you help.

The direction of loading will affect the burn time. For a longer burn, try E/W loading.

If the house is losing heat rapidly in cold weather, a larger stove may help. The Englander 32-NC is a serious big heater that is still affordable.

Cleveland Iron Work parent company makes the Mr. Heater brand of portable propane heaters. I own 2 and there is no portable propane heater that is better. So I saw they make woodstoves also and was looking for reviews other than what is on there website.

Reactions: PAbeech
The direction of loading will affect the burn time. For a longer burn, try E/W loading.

If the house is losing heat rapidly in cold weather, a larger stove may help. The Englander 32-NC is a serious big heater that is still affordable.
Yes Ive looked at the englander 32-nc and its a beast. Unfortunately i dont have the clearances for it.

I was wondering about that. The Quad has good clearances. The 1800 Escape is about 25% larger than the 3100. It can be loaded N/S with no longer than 16" splits but is biased toward E/W loading. It has a great track record. The Drolet Legend or Myriad III are the same size as the Englander and also are heating beasts. A skosh smaller, but still a big stove is the Drolet HT3000.

Last edited:

Ive tried EW, NS even upside down if thats possible. Thats a joke. Have tried every wood possible. Even borrowed splits from neighbors. Running between 12 and 16% on moisture. All with same results 5 to 6hr burn times. We moved permanently to our summer lake house last june. We previously closed it down in the winters. The quad was from the previous owner and I thought we would be good to go for this season. Not the case and Im just burning thru to much wood.

I was wondering about that. The Quad has good clearances. The 1800 Escape is about 25% larger than the 3100. It can be loaded N/S with no longer than 16" splits but is biased toward E/W loading. It has a great track record. The Drolet Legend or Myriad III are the same size as the Englander and also are heating beasts. A skosh smaller, but still a big stove is the Drolet HT3000.
Thank you for all the info. Ive got some stove leads to follow up on now.

Ive tried EW, NS even upside down if thats possible. Thats a joke. Have tried every wood possible. Even borrowed splits from neighbors. Running between 12 and 16% on moisture. All with same results 5 to 6hr burn times. We moved permanently to our summer lake house last june. We previously closed it down in the winters. The quad was from the previous owner and I thought we would be good to go for this season. Not the case and Im just burning thru to much wood.
What pipe temps do you start to shut the air down at and how far do you shut it down? I just think you are jumping the gun a bit on this. I work on allot of these and have yet to see a "bad one". You havnt even burnt a full season yet every time i swap stoves it takes me about a half a season to get the new one figured out and working the way i want

6 hour burn times are probably around par for a small stove like the 3100.

Good luck on the hunt for a new stove. As mentioned, the Drolet Escape 1800 looks good - I've heard people here talk about achieving 12 hours burn times on them.

It's a 2 cubic foot firebox not really small it should be able to get a solid 8 hours with good dry hardwood

Reactions: TomMcDonald
Cleveland Iron Work parent company makes the Mr. Heater brand of portable propane heaters. I own 2 and there is no portable propane heater that is better. So I saw they make woodstoves also and was looking for reviews other than what is on there website.
Well after 3 calls to cleveland iron works and talking to 3 different representatives I couldnt get an answer on there medium stoves firebox cu ft size or if they have an air wash system for there glass. Which i found incredible. They keep saying they are new into pellet and wood stoves. So im going to look

Well after 3 calls to cleveland iron works and talking to 3 different representatives I couldnt get an answer on there medium stoves firebox cu ft size or if they have an air wash system for there glass. Which i found incredible. They keep saying they are new into pellet and wood stoves. So im going to look at more established woodstove companies.

It's a 2 cubic foot firebox not really small it should be able to get a solid 8 hours with good dry hardwood
I thought the same thing on a 2 cu ft firebox. But mine will not.

6 hour burn times are probably around par for a small stove like the 3100.

Good luck on the hunt for a new stove. As mentioned, the Drolet Escape 1800 looks good - I've heard people here talk about achieving 12 hours burn times on them.
12hr burn times would be fantastic. Im definitely looking into that stove. Thanks.

12hr burn times would be fantastic. Im definitely looking into that stove. Thanks.
12 hours is really going to be a stretch for a 2.4 cubic foot box.

The 3100 is definitely capable of 8+ hr burns, but probably not when it's 20 outside. Our 3 cu ft stove will do 12 and even 14 hr burns. But that is only when outdoor temps are mild and above say 35º. If it is 30 outside and windy, the reload cycle will drop down to 8 hrs as I push the stove harder for heat. This is true of any stove making up for the heat loss of the house.

Well after 3 calls to cleveland iron works and talking to 3 different representatives I couldnt get an answer on there medium stoves firebox cu ft size or if they have an air wash system for there glass. Which i found incredible. They keep saying they are new into pellet and wood stoves. So im going to look
I wonder if this company is going to stick around. They seem more like an import house and not stove builders.

What pipe temps do you start to shut the air down at and how far do you shut it down? I just think you are jumping the gun a bit on this. I work on allot of these and have yet to see a "bad one". You havnt even burnt a full season yet every time i swap stoves it takes me about a half a season to get the new one figured out and working the way i want
This stove is pretty simple to operate and i agree it does take time to learn each stoves tendencies and optimal operations. But ive tried everything from ew to ns load patterns to different wood to borrowing splits to having fan on or off. There are only 2 air controls the main and secondary startup. On new load fireup push both controls all the way in. After 10 to 15 minutes pull the startup secondary all the way out and after reaching 500 degress on stove top pull out main air control all the way out and push in about an inch. At that point secondaries are kicked in and have lazy flames. Even on overnight burns i pull out the main even more to try and stretch the burn times and im only getting 6hr burn times. Im open to any suggestions to try different.

The 3100 is definitely capable of 8+ hr burns, but probably not when it's 20 outside. Our 3 cu ft stove will do 12 and even 14 hr burns. But that is only when outdoor temps are mild and above say 35º. If it is 30 outside and windy, the reload cycle will drop down to 8 hrs as I push the stove harder for heat. This is true of any stove making up for the heat loss of the house.

I wonder if this company is going to stick around. They seem more like an import house and not stove builders.
Well i have the clearances for the 1800 escape. Im looking around.

This stove is pretty simple to operate and i agree it does take time to learn each stoves tendencies and optimal operations. But ive tried everything from ew to ns load patterns to different wood to borrowing splits to having fan on or off. There are only 2 air controls the main and secondary startup. On new load fireup push both controls all the way in. After 10 to 15 minutes pull the startup secondary all the way out and after reaching 500 degress on stove top pull out main air control all the way out and push in about an inch. At that point secondaries are kicked in and have lazy flames. Even on overnight burns i pull out the main even more to try and stretch the burn times and im only getting 6hr burn times. Im open to any suggestions to try different.
What happens if you close both all the way?