• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Endangered Species

Oct 26, 2016
Wytheville, Va
If I were to buy a outdoor gasification boiler this coming summer; What are the chances that newer technology will come along in a year or two. I understand things constantly evolve. I don't want to purchase now if there is a real possibility that better units are say a year out.
Thanks

Define 'newer tech'.

Manus might tweak things in a response to user feedback or the like - or if a design turns out to be needing improvement. I don't think you'll see something else coming along to replace 'gasification' if that's what you mean. They are mostly only innovating in order to meet EPA regs, and if they're there, they won't spend much R&D money to go further if they don't have to.

IMO.

I guess I should have said application of older technology in the outdoor boilers. I have been looking for years. Every time I think I have made up my mind something sways me another way. If I were building a new structure hands down it would be a indoor unit. For me I just want to buy the best unit I can without regretting it next year. From what I can gather the heatmaster g200 seems to be a smart buy? However after reading another forum (outdoorwoodfurnaceinfo) there was a guy that said he felt like some amazing things may come to market in the next few years.

I guess I should have said application of older technology in the outdoor boilers. I have been looking for years. Every time I think I have made up my mind something sways me another way. If I were building a new structure hands down it would be a indoor unit. For me I just want to buy the best unit I can without regretting it next year. From what I can gather the heatmaster g200 seems to be a smart buy? However after reading another forum (outdoorwoodfurnaceinfo) there was a guy that said he felt like some amazing things may come to market in the next few years.
I am not an outdoor wood boiler guy and don't know much about them. My comments will be based solely on a buddy that runs one. He runs an old school version that seem to run amazingly clean, barely any smoke. Not sure if that is because he has so much demand that it runs flat out or what. For him the BIG win was not to have to process wood (he had done that for a wood stove for 30 years) and not really give any thought as to what he throws in it. He built a big pole barn around the boiler and uses a tractor to get logs there, simply cuts into rounds right into the pole barn. Of course he is on 270 acres so neighbors and wood are not issues for him (he harvests with big equipment and barely touches it so volume of wood used is not a concern). I can tell you that I see barely any smoke ever coming out of that thing. He is so fearful of needing to going back to handling wood if he goes to a gasser version that he bought a slightly used duplicate boiler to keep around as a replacement when/if needed. In regards to your specific question, I imagine that folks that purchase a new outdoor boiler are going to want the same experience that I just described, when they do not get that they are not going to be very happy - to your point, how will manufacturers react to that? No opinion here and I don't know much about the new outdoor boilers so take my comments for what they are worth, just an observation.

Reactions: StihlKicking
I own a G200 and am amazingly happy with it. I too would would probably own an indoor gasser with storage for new construction or even a Coal Stoker boiler which I find to be really the way to go since you can load it like pellets for many days and the coal prices are very stable and low. But that being said I have an old 220 year old house and have very little in the way of basement and no place for storage etc. I could build an outbuilding just for the boiler and storage but never thought that was a great option for me. Anyways back to the technology, I dont think anyone is going to make any huge leaps and bounds as far as greater efficiency goes. I think we are basically to the point of very little gain at this point because of the low stack temps. Any lower and they are going to start collapsing flue gasses. So that being said I think small improvements will be made but thats about it. The only thing that I would like my heatmaster to have is a wifi controller on it. I talked to the manufacturer and they said within 1-2 years they would be coming out with there own version of centrals 'firestar controller' which would be able to be wifi compatible and possibly have more temp measurements available. Currently they are using a Siemens LOGO controller which works great, Holds up very well and can be bought off the shelf(isn't proprietary like centrals firestar). If I were you and are set on buying an outdoor gasser I would suggest a G200 hands down(easy to run, runs extremely efficient which is backed up by the EPA test numbers and is very well built) but if you are interested in a more electronically connected interface like I am I may wait for the new controller.

From what I can gather the heatmaster g200 seems to be a smart buy? However after reading another forum (outdoorwoodfurnaceinfo) there was a guy that said he felt like some amazing things may come to market in the next few years.

I don't think I would put off a purchase based on that - 'next few years', that's a long time.

The G200 seems like a good choice - just going by what has been said such as right above this. If I was going to buy an OWB, that would likely be on the short list close to the top.

If I were building a new structure hands down it would be a indoor unit.

Have you considered an IWB & storage & your whole winters wood, in an outbuilding? Just something else to consider....

Similar to cell phones, I don't think you will see big changes or improvements. Probably more digital and microprobes controls evolution.

When you visit the large heating expos in Europe you will see hundreds of manufacturers, a lot more competition between brands and more innovation. A very small % of that product makes it to the US and Canadian markets.