Nor' Easter! Bring in the pets!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's Glendale Rd right before the blinker there at Pomeroy Mountain Rd......

The water is flowing really fast and as I said about a foot below hitting the I-Beam last time I looked. The bridge is old with lots of rebar showing - does not look like it would hold up to the water hitting it......at least not for a couple hours.

zeta said:
Pretty much the same scenario here as where RingOfFire is.
No power outage for me either. Storm of the century? No way.
I've seen much worse here.

Zeta, I agree with you....this storm seems like nothing compared to others....I think they are making something out of nothing! I heard on the radio this morning this is the 2nd worst dumping of rain....do they remember the storm last spring????? Perfect storm? I don't know....this just doesn't seem very bad to me.

Get the orrs out!

In meteorological terms there are lots of ways of measuring a storm. If you take the sum of all the factors including area affected, amount of damage, loss of life, wind intensity, amount of rainfall, (both total and over a given period of time,) central barometric pressure, coastal flooding impact and storm duration, this storm is truly a biggy! 8.5" in central park!, record snowfalls from Colorado to NY state, tornadoes, 9 lives lost, a simultaneous rain area stretching from GA to ME, wind gusts to hurricane force, central barometric pressure below 29.00", severe coastal flooding and beach erosion from NJ to ME, and, we will still feel this inreduced form for another day or two to come. While GW would point to bigger and more frequent storms; one storm, one season, one year and one region are no validator of its occurence. Its the sum of global averages of many years and the trend with such strong correlation to greenhouse gas model predicators that have over 1000 of the worlds foremost researchers on the the subject convinced. Ahh but what do they know?

Webmaster said:
It's Glendale Rd right before the blinker there at Pomeroy Mountain Rd......

yup - that's the one

Meadow (not mountain)

I don't have local tv access, but had a few calls about ch. 40 showing some video on the Manhan river and the lower section of PMR (good thing you are up the hill a bit, Web, and Webwidow). Sounds like they are concerned about the bridge at the east/southhampton border (on PMR). I know its built on wood pilings, and really not THAT old. I think that one was built a year or 2 before I was born, but if the river goes high enough to take it out (I've seen it a few feet from the bottom of the road before). Hopefully it will hold up - I'm sure it will. I'm just real glad my Mom sold the house I grew up in (at that bridge) last year, but do feel bad for the folks that are there now.

Not quite sure what you are eluding to jpl?????????
Let's see you are in NH what was the flooding situation like last may (2006) or the columbus weekend storm of 2005. is this big compared to that?
And hate to tell you but the topic was on the nor'easter which being a New England term has nothing to do with ah...... Anything but New England.
And when was the last time you experienced coastal events in Inland NH?
I have to agree as most here in New England on the coast.......... This storm was nothing compared to most....... SORRY :smirk:

Harley, as you know I have LOTS of ways around those bridges - still, it will set them way back! Seems to take YEARS up here to build or rebuild the bridges.
Pomeroy Meadow Rd is closed right where that little bridge is, but the water is not running nearly as fast there as on Glendale - it is high, but not fast so I think the water will just flow over and bypass that bridge.

Yes, we are way too high here for it to ever get us - we must be 100 feet or more above that level. Nothing like good high ground! I did learn something about living in rural areas from my short stints in WV and TN - and high ground is good!

just drove down from akron ohio to my home in Va. saturday night in akron we got a snowfall which was strange as ive ever seen, the "snowflakes" were coming down in clumps that ranged from golf ball sized to tennis ball sized, fluffy balls of snow, never seen such myself. anyway, by the time we reached the ohio river today it was way up the banks, continuing down I-77 towards charleston WV we started seeing every river and creek we passed over its banks. in charlestown the river was over most of the docks that folks had built on the river's flood plain out into the river. looked like a real mess. the worst thing i encountered was wind that made it hard to drive comfortably. i was getting blown all over the road, was driving 2004 blazer with 4.3 vortec so horsepower was no problem , just had to fight the wheel all the way home, got home, rear gutter was laying in the back yard, blown off the house. have limbs broken in the maple behind the house, neighbor has a lot of siding damage, looks like his wall in the back was peeled, siding is everywhere but on that wall. gonna be a busy week in my neighborhood.

GVA said:
Let's see you are in NH what was the flooding situation like last may (2006) or the columbus weekend storm of 2005. is this big compared to that?
And hate to tell you but the topic was on the nor'easter which being a New England term has nothing to do with ah...... Anything but New England.
I have to agree as most here in New England on the coast.......... This storm was nothing compared to most....... SORRY :smirk:
In May of 2006, we received approx 15" of rain over three days, this storm we received about 6" in 20 hours. May of 2006 had a washed out car from across the street of my business in Newmarket NH as the Weather channel's home page photo and Jim Cantori in our town reporting live. Columbus weekend storm caused horrible flooding in the Alton and Kenne NH area unlike anything they had seen since the great hurricane of the 30's. But neither of those storms significantly impacted a really large area, neither had significantly low central barometric pressures, neither cause coastal flooding, and niether had really significant winds. This storm acheived a central barometric pressure of a strong cat 2 or weak cat 3 hurricane, one of the lowest central presuures for April on record! In terms of regional impact, you're right, this storm was no record breaker, but when you look at it's whole history, the range of areas it affected and the extent of its impact, it's impressive. For whatever relevance it has, I'm kind of a weather nut so I'm looking more at how big this storm got from a meteorological perspective rather than its immediate impact on just us.

Look at the radar! This thing is still wrapping around and they are calling for 3 or 4 more days of rain here - light - which is lucky.....

Webwidow walked outside this morning and said it was warm and still - I told her we were in the EYE, and I think it was so. Soon after, all hell broke loose.

Jim Cantori I remember him he was reporting on the Oct 91 storm in Gloucester while I was windsurfing in the background, now that was a storm.......
WHAT A RUSH.........

Webmaster said:
Look at the radar! This thing is still wrapping around and they are calling for 3 or 4 more days of rain here - light - which is lucky.....

Yeah, based on the radar its been wrapping around over my head... for a whole day! Move on, will ya!

-- Mike

GVA said:
Jim Cantori I remember him he was reporting on the Oct 91 storm in Gloucester while I was windsurfing in the background, now that was a storm.......
WHAT A RUSH.........
You had to watch out for broken fishing vessels in between the curls on that one! Now that was a storm! Yahoooo!

jpl1nh said:
GVA said:
WHAT A RUSH.........
You had to watch out for broken fishing vessels in between the curls on that one! Now that was a storm! Yahoooo!
Naw I wasn't that far out. :) maybe a half mile from shore....... Wow.... back when I was young and stupid........ Now I'm just old and stupid.... :p

GVA said:
jpl1nh said:
GVA said:
WHAT A RUSH.........
Naw I wasn't that far out. :) maybe a half mile from shore....... Wow.... back when I was young and stupid........ Now I'm just old and stupid.... :p
I know I was stupid when I was young cause somehow I let myself get old..hmmm.. I never surfed, but if you haven't read "In search of Captain Zero" by A C Weisbecker, you'd prob really enjoy it. It's an awesome surfing book with lots of young and stupid from the perspective of older and actually less stupid!! Don't think he burns any wood anywhere in the book though.

Webmaster said:
Harley, as you know I have LOTS of ways around those bridges - still, it will set them way back! Seems to take YEARS up here to build or rebuild the bridges.
Pomeroy Meadow Rd is closed right where that little bridge is, but the water is not running nearly as fast there as on Glendale - it is high, but not fast so I think the water will just flow over and bypass that bridge.

Yes, we are way too high here for it to ever get us - we must be 100 feet or more above that level. Nothing like good high ground! I did learn something about living in rural areas from my short stints in WV and TN - and high ground is good!

Yup - neither of those 2 bridges are going to go down - worst case, they may have to shore them up a bit, and either way - it may be just a one lane bridge for a little while, which is no big deal at all... The one on Glendale actually has 2 rivers going into it at that point - the north branch of the mill river, and the manhan - they come together about 1,200' from the bridge on PMR, and both go out to the Glendale rd bridge. Then it goes out by West st (shouldn't be any problems there), over the dam, and out to the oxbow, to the CT river. I think you are well above 100' from there. There's certainly going to be quite a bit of water in those houses in that section - they've had it before. There's only 2 "new" family's in that little stretch of road that may not have seen it get this much water, but I think they'll be fine once it settles off tomorrow (I used to think think that was fun as a kid... my parents might have had a different perspective).

jpl1nh said:
GVA said:
WHAT A RUSH.........

The was "The Perfect Storm" the unnamed hurricane. A step above a nor easter!

Good link here: http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/satellite/satelliteseye/cyclones/pfctstorm91/pfctstorm.html

Yes, Nor'easters can be very bad. I remember as a kid the March storm of 62 (?). It took out a lot of the New jersey coast. Hit Cape May particularly hard. We drove through the weekend after the storm. It looked like the scenes from Katrina.

7AM Tues, winds 15 to 20 mph, temp down to 35 and snow is starting to mix in with the light rain. My storm total through last night was 6.52" of rain in 24 hours. News pics from around NH show lots of downtown flooding in towns like Laconia, New Boston, many others. Roads washed out or flooded all over the place. I know NJ flooding is pretty bad too, I imagine thats true through much of the northeast. Couple more raw, windy days and we should start seeing real spring warmth moving in. Weekend looking like dry, sunny, and temps moving towards the 60's, maybe even 70! Yee haw, then here come the black flies!!

"Up here on the Hill"...
Been on (basement) "flood watch" for 36 hours. The whole thing whether GW debate etc. last years storms, north of the border, down Lowell/Lawrence way etc etc, Whether or not this storm amounts "To a hill of beans" greatly depends on your "perspective" (i.e. exactly where you are 'standing'). Everyone is making good points all around...the biggest thing about this Nor' easter is the "quick jabs" it is getting in. The bands of heavy rain (coming through here anyway) are dumping a butt load of water fast and hard. I have had my "rainwater harvesting/management system" set up for almost ten years with little problems...until this storm. Every "once in awhile" it has needed to be 'tweaked'. Four times in this storm it has become "overrun". This storm is dropping some serious amounts of water...both short and long term...add into the equation that there is still frost in the ground...equals a mess.

And to top it off...just about everything outside (i.e. firewood) is soaked...forget the tarps...wind has been blowing so hard...it seems to lift em' like rugs and then sweep it under.

I went out an hour ago...looked out towards the streetlights and it reminded me of being at the beach during a hurricane. I'm just glad it has been rain...and not snow.

Yup...Gotta love New England weather!

Boy, you all have my greatest sympathy. It sounds like our last November. Rain was coming off the roof so fast down the roof valleys that it just overshot the gutters. This had got to be no fun even if you're a duck!
I think I read that Central Park, NY set an all time record of over 5.5". It bested the previous puny record of 1.8". They had 7.5" by Sunday night. That is rain of tropical proportions.

GVA said:
Guess I'm gonna have to strengthen my stand on this storm, indeed I think it has proven to be one for the record books. Homes washed out to sea in Saco Me, 55" of snow at Sugarbush USA, wind gusts to 81 mph off south coast, storm deaths in 17 states. The road damage and flooding closures here in the Seacoast of NH are really bad, I know the same is true all the way down through NJ, though not in every single spot. Power outages in the northeast in the 250,000 plus range some not expected to get it back until this weekend. Overall, and over a very large area, a storm with tremendous impact on many, many, people. In Lowell Ma ranked now as 5th worst FLOODING EVENT after, yes, May of 2006. I fear one of the hardest things about the flooding is that there probably has been a lot of structural damage to roadways, dams, bridges, etc from the events of last year, then adding this on top starts to really cause damage issues. My ex- working on the planning board in Durham Nh was reviewing their flood maps. She pointed out this is now the 4th "100 year" event in the last 30 years. Hmmm, 2 of them within the last 12 months! May or may not have to do with global warming but is consistant with what GW models project.

Status
Not open for further replies.