OK to poke a fire in a BK?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I had drywall with wood studs and only about 8 inches of side clearance from the stove. They wanted 12 inches clearance from the side of the stove to anything flammable, including the studs, so I ripped out the drywall, replaced the wood studs with steel and, just to be extra compliant, replaced the drywall with painted Hardieboard. Looks better than you'd think - you can get it pre-painted from Hardie. And I got the 26% tax credit on all the installation work - materials, etc.
sounds really great! You got pics anywhere in here?

You can see the gaps between the Hardie board and the studs to make a ventilated wall - hard to see, but there's a gap at the top of the tiled wall. Gotta build something in the alcove next to the stove to store wood.
Chinook 20.2.jpeg

You can see the gaps between the Hardie board and the studs to make a ventilated wall - hard to see, but there's a gap at the top of the tiled wall. Gotta build something in the alcove next to the stove to store wood.
View attachment 319792
From what I read about the nfpa wall shields, they only needed to be ventilated top and bottom. Is there any reason that you also left the sides open?

Whether or not the wall shielding actually solved a clearance issue.

Yeah, I had the idea that I would wrap decorative metal like the old radiator covers around the corners. It's not needed for the ventilated wall, but it seemed like a cool idea. Turns out there are other decision makers in the house and we are at a standstill on the original plan.

What's the purpose of boxing it in so tight? Not seeing what's to either side, other than the room with end table on the left, it seems counterproductive to have it boxed in so tight.

Reactions: moresnow
Just got back from 5 days camping in Death Valley. On the right side of the enclosure is a door to a bedroom. on the left side we want to build a wood storage area. It could have been less tight on the left hand side but then it also would have been asymmetric. The existing pipe is where it is, so the stove stayed where the old Jotul was.