Out with the old in with the new part 2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WASPKFD

Nov 3, 2013
Iowa
OK so I found an insurance company that will insure my area ( in the country no fire hydrant and fire station 5 miles away). But must be a EPA stove.
So out with the ol BUCK 28000 God missing it already and haven't removed it yet for almost 10 years it has been awesome!! any way
Decided on the Blaze King King 40.. main reason is I have a 8" chimney and it get cold in Nothern Iowa lol
Questions
I have an 8 in stainless dual wall chim thru roof, is it best to go single wall or double wall for the stove pipe from the blaze king to chim??
THANX for all the help guys more coming soon!!!

0.jpg

I think most run double, I do. Looks better, safer.

Reactions: WASPKFD
thats what I thought but thought I read that double wall ran cooler and problem with draft?? I could be wrong?? and whats the best price on a KING 40?

old set up

117664-f3d1d85e09a340c3e154dee4db677498.jpg 121187-475eaae01bf8174fb03021b83f48dc1c.jpg 116660-eada8f313fb09541b8b60d0c85a976ea.jpg

Manual states double wall needed due to flue gases being cooler coming out of the stove, single wall would shed more heat which is no good with those stoves. BTW - while you may miss the old buck, you may find the new king awesome and using less wood during the season... lots and lots of happy burners with the BK brand, and speaking for myself, wish I started with the princess right from the get go.

Last edited:
Great!! thank you!! im picking it up next weekend ,, so yep dual wall it is.. !!

Do note though that the burning mode of this stove is different. Not a searing radiative heat, but a constant, even output that keeps the room at temperature.

I second the double wall. As Kenny said, the stoves are so efficient (i.e. they shed their heat in the room rather than up the flue), that the flue will be cooler. To ensure it does not get too cold, a double wall pipe is needed.

AWWWW Ill miss the roaring fire from the buck. kind of sucks pulling her out.

wish I started with the princess right from the get go.
whys that? too hot?
I have a fairly large home, has 2 additions that do not have hvac in those rooms so I need the high output.

whys that? too hot?
I have a fairly large home, has 2 additions that do not have hvac in those rooms so I need the high output.
my first stove was entry level and a big waste of time, the bk has been awesome right from the start

hats what I thought but thought I read that double wall ran cooler and problem with draft?? I could be wrong?? and whats the best price on a KING 40?
Just the opposite. Cat stoves run cooler flues in general. The point of the double-wall pipe is to keep the flue gases hotter and draft better.
AWWWW Ill miss the roaring fire from the buck. kind of sucks pulling her out.
The BK40 will have a good fire if the heat demand is high.