Outdoor clean burning heater....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kenstogie

Feeling the Heat
Oct 2, 2012
Albany (ish)
Was thinking of building a small heater for the colder nights for an out door patio situation... preferably one that burns clean ... Not sure if this feasible....

-Looking to burn wood that I have around (pellets would be good too)
-Clean burning
-make some decent radiant heat
-safe too

I was thinking a rocket stove like a rocket mass heater.

other ideas??
maybe you've been down this road....
thought??

Reactions: Handsonautotech
I am interested in this. Where I am any outdoor wood burner is supposed to be as clean as an indoor one.

I've looked into a similar outdoor heater search and found active discussion boards here: https://permies.com/f/260/rocket-mass-heaters
and here: http://donkey32.proboards.com/

I'm considering something like a "batch box" style rocket mass heater without much mass. Since I want it to heat up quickly at night, then I don't care if it cools down after the fire burns out since the outdoor party will be over. Trying to figure out how to achieve this with all masonry materials; minimal metals to minimize rust degradation

Now that I know what I'm doing, I'm just going to build a small masonry heater for around $500 or so - placed out in a patio/closed in section. It will be 2' x 3' and 6 or 7 feet tall. I'll use used fire brick (~$300), a 12" x 12" fireplace clean-out door (no glass - $25), natural river rock facing (free) or clay brick ($50), etc....

I like the simplicity of these masonry heaters - throw your wood in and light it, set a timer for 1.5 hours, hear the beep, and close the damper - done. I wish I had more places to heat so I could build a few more masonry heaters. It's fun collecting all of the ingredients and than assembling them together.

Last edited:
Now that I know what I'm doing, I'm just going to build a small masonry heater for around $500 or so. It will be 2' x 3' and 6 or 7 feet tall. I'll use used fire brick (~$300), a 12" x 12" fireplace clean-out door (no glass - $25), natural river rock facing (free) or clay brick ($50), etc....

I like the simplicity of these masonry heaters - throw your wood in and light it, set a timer for 1.5 hours, hear the beep, and close damper - done. I wish I had more places to heat so I could build a few more masonry heaters.

Is this going indoors or outdoors? I've been thinking there's probably an opportunity to save money by building a masonry heater into a fireplace. A more efficient burn than wood stove insert, plus take advantage of existing chimney mass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen a rocket stove / mass heater that was built as a bench.

Outdoors in a semi closed in space made in the side of a hill. Rocket mass heaters & masonry heaters start getting confusing to distinguish sometimes. Masonry heaters have doors. Both can have benches. RMHs are fed small amounts of wood over a longer time. In places like Eastern Russia people burn in 'fireplaces' without doors that have long gas flow chambers inside them - I guess this is a fireplace built like a masonry heater?

My thought was to have a smaller more portable solution but you guys are on the right track... of course with something kicking out radiant heat it would get HOT and you've got to be careful with that.....

Burn barrel. Bums have loved them for decades!

Reactions: T-roy_
A more efficient burn than wood stove insert, plus take advantage of existing chimney mass.
The claims of masonry heaters being more efficent than inserts are pretty questionable. If built correctly yes they can be very efficent. But so can inserts. And building one into an existing fireplace would be very complicated. Not saying it could not be done but it will not be easy. It would probably be easier to tear down the fireplace and start from scratch.

Reactions: Highbeam
I want to build a rocket stove that uses a masonry bench for thermal mass. Not sure it qualifies as clean, but it would be nice to have a 100° seat to sit on outside at night. :)