PelPro stove installed 16" from wall; should be 3". What can we do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Guess the manufacturer of the unit wants you to destroy the interior of your house then. Putting a cleanout Tee inside is a no no unless it cannot be installed on the outside for some reason. Believe me, you leave it inside and the first time you pull the cap, you'll understand perfectly why it needs to be on the outside.
Having a T inside the house doesn't have to be a disaster. Our pellet stove replaced a wood stove, so we were forced to run the vent up to the existing 8" thimble and run a flue up inside the chimney. When I remove the caps from the T's (one at the base of the stove, the other up at the thimble, there is never enough accumulated ash to pose a problem. Though I grant you, it might be a different story if I didn't listen to you guys about frequent thorough cleanings!

Having a T inside the house doesn't have to be a disaster. Our pellet stove replaced a wood stove, so we were forced to run the vent up to the existing 8" thimble and run a flue up inside the chimney. When I remove the caps from the T's (one at the base of the stove, the other up at the thimble, there is never enough accumulated ash to pose a problem. Though I grant you, it might be a different story if I didn't listen to you guys about frequent thorough cleanings!

Therein lies the key to no mess. Problem is, how many owners adhere to a cleaning schedule?

Nobody brushes the pipe when cleaning? I get the initial pile of ash which is usually a little less than would fill the cap. It’s the brushing that stirs up the mess. As far as brushing from the other end, my brush will navigate a 45 but not a 90.

Reactions: tbear853