Registration of wood stoves.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I don't live in Alaska so I don't care in the least. But even if I did I wouldn't care that much

How many wood stoves will sink in canoeing accidents?

It is also only for residents of the Fairbanks Northstar borough

The evidence is right in your face. They are not even hiding it anymore. If you can't see what is going on then their is no help for you. You are made to register just about everything. Car, boat, four wheeler, trailer, snowmobile, your firearms in some states and on an on. And now your means of keeping yourself warm with wood stoves. Money and control. I posted a simple thread about wood stove registration and you made it perfectly clear that you dont care. So be it.

The evidence is right in your face. They are not even hiding it anymore. If you can't see what is going on then their is no help for you. You are made to register just about everything. Car, boat, four wheeler, trailer, snowmobile, your firearms in some states and on an on. And now your means of keeping yourself warm with wood stoves. Money and control. I posted a simple thread about wood stove registration and you made it perfectly clear that you dont care. So be it.
And how often are cars boats trailers etc confiscated???

Why didn't you mention this only applies to one borough in Alaska?

My understanding is that there are areas of bad air pollution around there, attributed to wood smoke. While I'm generally against the govt being too involved, often times folks acting in their own interests, when using a common resource (in this case, the air), the common resource gets destroyed. I learned about this in 8th grade English class in an old piece called "The Tragedy of the Commons".

So, the govt, acting in it's most valuable form, is acting to protect the common resource. Which is a very good thing.

What would be a better method to protect the air that everyone needs? I'm not asking fascitiously, I'd really be interested to hear some ideas.

For the record, I don't believe the intent is confiscation, but it definitely is control. The problem is, once the cat is out of the bag, there is no way to know what future people will do with it. I'm not fearful that the folks in that area are going to lose the right to heat with wood, at least anytime soon.

My understanding is that there are areas of bad air pollution around there, attributed to wood smoke. While I'm generally against the govt being too involved, often times folks acting in their own interests, when using a common resource (in this case, the air), the common resource gets destroyed. I learned about this in 8th grade English class in an old piece called "The Tragedy of the Commons".

So, the govt, acting in it's most valuable form, is acting to protect the common resource. Which is a very good thing.

What would be a better method to protect the air that everyone needs? I'm not asking fascitiously, I'd really be interested to hear some ideas.

For the record, I don't believe the intent is confiscation, but it definitely is control. The problem is, once the cat is out of the bag, there is no way to know what future people will do with it. I'm not fearful that the folks in that area are going to lose the right to heat with wood, at least anytime soon.
Very well said

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Let’s just keep giving .gov more power.

Let’s just keep giving .gov more power.
If you lived in an area where air quality was a big problem you may be glad they were doing research to help change that.

And btw this is simply a local ordinance.

If you lived in an area where air quality was a big problem you may be glad they were doing research to help change that.

And btw this is simply a local ordinance.
The EPA did an air study in my very remote area saying it was the terrain and prevailing winds plus some other crap. The town I’m in is 25k acres like every other “township”. There are 125 voters. The next 3 towns north might have another 30. One town south is less than 2000. Look up Moosehead Lake Maine.
What kind of study looks at such a remote place for wood burning? Having 10k NW winds is very common. NW of there is more very low population areas.

I could go on.

The EPA did an air study in my very remote area saying it was the terrain and prevailing winds plus some other crap. The town I’m in is 25k acres like every other “township”. There are 125 voters. The next 3 towns north might have another 30. One town south is less than 2000. Look up Moosehead Lake Maine.
What kind of study looks at such a remote place for wood burning? Having 10k NW winds is very common. NW of there is more very low population areas.

I could go on.
I would assume a study intended to determine the effects of wood burning in remote low population areas. But that's just a guess

Recently I have been reading in Dutch newspapers, that their National Environmental Agency advised not to burn wood stoves on certain days. Those certain days are days when there is dense fog (which is common there), almost no wind, etc. In a heavily populated area, under certain circumstances, an advisory like that is not bad. Registration, I don't know. Having said that, there are now government officials in The Netherlands talking about banning all wood burning appliances. Some towns are already implementing that.

Reactions: Ludlow and Ashful
I believe someday having to register will happen nationwide. In our lifetimes? Idk. What i do know is once registered they will most likely implement a tax added to your real estate taxes. When taxes arent paid liens are eventually the next course. I realize that most people will just pay the tax and no big deal. The problem is the registration is just another way for the government to create revenue and bleed citizens dry and then waste it on some bs that isnt helping anyone in this country or the world around us. Im not a conspiracy theorist. I believe all of government is working against the average citizen and always will.