Replacing Husky 55 Rancher with Stihl model.... which one?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

olsonbri

Jan 24, 2011
Stillwater, OK
Hi all! My wife says I was good this year and says Santa will bring me a new saw. I have a 2003 55 Rancher that runs great when it runs, but it doesn't always run, gets fussy, floods, can be hard to start, and thus I'm getting a Stihl.

I'm burning about 4+ cords/season.

I basically scrounge for wood, be it split wood, rounds, logs, downed trees, or standing trees. Whatever I can find. A 24" Dia. trunk would be considered a large trunk around here. Any suggestions as to the model I should aim for?

Reactions: 2PistolPacker
I'm only set on Stihl for the long term value (i think). Kind of at the point where parts are beginning to be replaced (bar, mounts, etc). I think if I had a Stihl I wouldn't be looking for a replacement/backup saw. Correct me if I'm wrong! Thanks for the spec suggestion.

Hi all! My wife says I was good this year and says Santa will bring me a new saw. I have a 2003 55 Rancher that runs great when it runs, but it doesn't always run, gets fussy, floods, can be hard to start, and thus I'm getting a Stihl.

I'm burning about 4+ cords/season.

I basically scrounge for wood, be it split wood, rounds, logs, downed trees, or standing trees. Whatever I can find. A 24" Dia. trunk would be considered a large trunk around here. Any suggestions as to the model I should aim for?
How big is. A 55 rancher. A stihl which I enjoy 460 18" bar and a24" bar . For smaller work I enjoy a limbing saw echo a lot cheeper and less hp's works fine. Would rather have a Stihl. Maybe old St. Nick will bring me one. Lol

Last edited:
How big is. A 55 rancher. A stihl which I enjoy 460 18" bar and a24" bar . For smaller work I enjoy a limbing saw echo a lot cheeper and less hp's works fine.

460? I don't know for sure where to look, but browsing the "farm and ranch" models at stihl.com:

http://stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/farm-and-ranch-saws/
Would rather have a Stihl. Maybe old St. Nick will bring me one. Lol

Does St. Nick have any opinion about coals in the fireplace when he comes?

Depending on budget you could look at an MS 291 as the modern equivalent farm/ranch saw ($450-500) or MS 261 as a pro model, slightly lighter & slightly more power ($600 range).
Both should be reliable & cut all the firewood you need.

Depending on budget you could look at an MS 291 as the modern equivalent farm/ranch saw ($450-500) or MS 261 as a pro model, slightly lighter & slightly more power ($600 range).
Both should be reliable & cut all the firewood you need.

Thanks midwestcoast. I'll check out the MS 291.

I know Stihl doesn't sell online, but do you ever see sales on Stihl saws at dealers? Just curious. I love to deal shop, but haven't been in the saw market to know.

Guys have some luck getting dealers to throw in goodies like oil, chains… but price is usually pretty set.

+1 on a pro saw261/362 Stihl or 550xp / 555 husky their worth it In the long run

I'm only set on Stihl for the long term value (i think). Kind of at the point where parts are beginning to be replaced (bar, mounts, etc). I think if I had a Stihl I wouldn't be looking for a replacement/backup saw. Correct me if I'm wrong! Thanks for the spec suggestion.

I think you're wrong; parts availability for Husqvarna saws is fine. Yours is surely fixable, but maybe not worth it if you have to pay someone else to do the fixing.

In case you're confused, the Stihl 460 is nothing like the Husqvarna 460.

Since you're concerned about long-term repairability, keep in mind that the Stihl farm and ranch saws will have clamshell engines which are more difficult/expensive to rebuild if that's ever necessary. The same is true of the current 400-series Husqvarna's. In your position I'd probably go for something along the lines of a Stihl 261, or a Husky 550xp or 555. These are all well-made machines with magnesium crankcases and easily removable/replaceable cylinders.

If you're looking into a Stihl farm/ranch saw, expect about the same quality as the 55. Neither are bad saws, but neither are great saws either. They're middle of the road saws that are perfect for weekend firewood work. When they finally reach their age limit, you can rebuild them if you're handy, but if not it's probably better to sell it for parts and get a new saw rather than pay someone to fix it.

If you really want something that'll last for decades with great resale value, get a pro model saw. For Husqvarna, the pro saws have the "XP" in the name. For Stihls, for the most part the second number in the model will be even: 261, 362, 440, 461, etc. Their are some exceptions though, such as the 180 which is a homeowner saw. You'll pay more upfront for pro grade, but those saws are much easier to work on typically, they hold their value better, and they are more pleasant to run with better power/weight ratios and better anti-vibe.

From either company, I think it's unfair to say that Husqvarna is worse than Stihl, or vice versa. Both make great saws and have good parts and dealership support.

If you really want something that'll last for decades with great resale value, get a pro model saw. For Husqvarna, the pro saws have the "XP" in the name.

I want to quibble with this a bit. Husqvarna makes some saws that lack the XP designation but are very similar to ones that have it. The 555 has a lot in common with the 562XP. The old 365 is mostly the same as a 372XP. In these cases the non-XP saw has different performance characteristics but the same high-quality materials and construction.

For your needs i would go ms261c model..if you go to your dealer can be had for bout $525 new..or just cruise the classifieds for a good used one..
Good idea Splitoak. Brings to mind some dealers have rebuilt or used in the back

I want to quibble with this a bit. Husqvarna makes some saws that lack the XP designation but are very similar to ones that have it. The 555 has a lot in common with the 562XP. The old 365 is mostly the same as a 372XP. In these cases the non-XP saw has different performance characteristics but the same high-quality materials and construction.

I forgot that Husky sometimes puts out those "almost pro" saws.

Reactions: mikey517
Yep.

545 = detuned 550XP
555 = detuned 562XP

I wouldn't hesitate in recommending any of those for your purposes. 545/16-18" or 555/20" would be my suggested configurations.

In fact, the specs for the 555 are very close to those of the venerable Stihl 361.

Every time I go to the local Husky shop I find myself drawn to the 555 . . . love the power to weight ratio . . . not loving the price tag, but it does beat out the 562XP's high price tag.

Every time I go to the local Husky shop I find myself drawn to the 555 . . . love the power to weight ratio . . . not loving the price tag, but it does beat out the 562XP's high price tag.

+1

If I didn't already have a 361, I'd be very tempted by the 555.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.