Repurposing the existing smoke chamber

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The brick outside (exterior of the house) becomes warm after hours of burning.

Part of your problem is just the inherent loss of heat that is going to come with an exterior chimney. Personally, I would prefer a stove outside of the fireplace rather than an insert, to reduce that loss.

Obviously you want to maximize your insulation to minimize heat loss. It would seem to me that if you had an insulated, airtight, well-sealed blockoff plate at the level of the old damper, then nearly all the heat ABOVE that plate would be generated by the liner itself. If the liner was insulated right down to the blockoff, then the heat should be minimal and the loss should not be too great, even though some heat certainly would build up and be lost through transfer from the brick to the outdoors.

Reclaiming heat or preventing its loss from a fully insulated liner does not seem like a worthwhile effort, in the smoke chamber or anywhere else. On the other hand, if heat is being lost from the actual stove, and that heat is not coming into the living space, you have a problem. But I don't know ways to approach that beyond: 1) insulated blockoff plate to contain most heat below damper area; 2) insulated fireplace to prevent transfer to exterior, and 3) blower/fans to circulate air and transfer heat into the living space.

Mellow that is anice fire box you have created. That looks like a great idea. I'd like to get some more specifics from you later.

Hi rwhite Yes you are correct The flue has a poured slurry of vermiculite. And I have the liner partially insulated with wrap inside the smoke chamber. There is probably about 3 ft that is not insulated.

Now I have removed the surround and added a 6 inch inline duct fan. and am forcing the heat within the smoke chamber back into the room.

It works but Im not a big fan of the idea yet. Still needs to be tweaked.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on reinstalling the insert.

Mellow that is anice fire box you have created. That looks like a great idea. I'd like to get some more specifics from you later.

Hi rwhite Yes you are correct The flue has a poured slurry of vermiculite. And I have the liner partially insulated with wrap inside the smoke chamber. There is probably about 3 ft that is not insulated.

Now I have removed the surround and added a 6 inch inline duct fan. and am forcing the heat within the smoke chamber back into the room.

It works but Im not a big fan of the idea yet. Still needs to be tweaked.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on reinstalling the insert.

Branchburner....But I don't know ways to approach that beyond: 1) insulated blockoff plate to contain most heat below damperarea; 2) insulated fireplace to prevent transfer to exterior, and 3) blower/fans to circulate air and transfer heat into the living space.

Yes you speak right with the above observations. Hence, that is what I am up against. Since I have added the 6 inch inline duct fan I am able to get more heat back into the room without compromising the cooling of the liner.

Its coming down to your third point....air circulation.

Insulate with Roxul all the way down to a block off plate placed as low as you can place it. Insulate the fire box as recommended then leave the stove an inch or so proud so your surround is off the brick. That will let any residual heat out w/o stealing heat from the liner. Then let the stove do its job and let the liner what it does.

Reactions: bholler
dont bother jatoxico He has been given that solution many times but is more interested in coming up with some miracle solution rather than listening to those of us that have the experince to know what works

Status
Not open for further replies.