Richmond® 50 Gallon Electric Water Heater with Hybrid Heat Pump any good?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Still should only be 2 legs of 120...unless its 3 phase (very doubtful) would just be large breakers/wiring...just as with your e boiler

No, these things have multiple double pole breakers. Like 3 - 40 amp 240 volt feeds. That's 6 slots.

How so? They still get wired up to 240...so 2 legs of 120v...if you are running in hybrid mode (or electric only) they still use big power if/when the electric elements kick on...I used the same wiring as I had for my previous 50 gall electric heater.
I have mine set to "heat pump only" mode, so the electric elements don't kick on. We have only ran low on hot water once that I know of...but it would have been fine if I would have taken my shower last instead of my wife...I like warm showers, she likes HOT.

Had to check the breaker box again, and the on demand electric water heater is only using 4 spots, 60 amps each. So if i went with the hybrid I would open up 2 spots on the breaker box. I have the Steibel Eltron Tempra Plus 24. It has been really good and it has saved us money compared to the old electric tank heater the house came with. But the hybrid technology makes it tempting to switch, especially if I get the rebate and manage to save money, then it should pay for itself.

Reactions: brenndatomu
Surprised to see rebates for switching from electric to electric, my COop would only do rebates for Gas/Oil to Electric.

It's about conservation. They also provide rebates for switching from incandescent bulbs to LED.

Surprised to see rebates for switching from electric to electric, my COop would only do rebates for Gas/Oil to Electric.

I think it's also about managing peak load for those few times of the year when the capacity reaches its limit. And Long Island suffers from high energy costs, so it's probably cheaper to conserve than to build/buy more supply.

My house is all electric. It's a small ranch, and still the average monthly electric bill is about $150. My goal is to get it close to $100.

August electric bill came back down to a more normal range after the non stop heat let up in July...it would be down ~100 kWh from the same period last year, if adjusted for the same number of billing days per bill...or about 4 kWh hour per day...oh, and still haven't had to use the dehumidifier in the basement...

My house is all electric. It's a small ranch, and still the average monthly electric bill is about $150. My goal is to get it close to $100.
The on-demand or instant home water heaters really only save your "storage heat losses" from a full tank sitting hot in a cold space.
The heat pump water heaters will heat your water a bit slower, but at a cop of around 3 or 4, that's 30% the monthly cost of a regular tank type. Definitely a win at our $0.21/kwh.
Only question is: where will the unit be located, in the basement or in the living area?

Sept. bill is down 252 kWh's from the same period last year! We must have had a hot September last year (I don't recall) as that is surely due to (at least partially) AC usage.
So for me this is almost $30/mo. savings this month.
I'll continue these updates through the end of the year, which will give me a full year history comparison.

Reactions: vinny11950
Looks like I forgot to post the October bill...it was down 9 kWh per day, or 254 kWh for the month...or almost $30 saved!
I just got my November bill too...lowest bill I've had in years!
Went from 657 kWh last year, to 475 for the month this year...total bill is sub $60 !!!

Reactions: vinny11950
Looks like I forgot to post the October bill...it was down 9 kWh per day, or 254 kWh for the month...or almost $30 saved!
I just got my November bill too...lowest bill I've had in years!
Went from 657 kWh last year, to 475 for the month this year...total bill is sub $60 !!!

I have solar so I don't pay for electricity but I connected an electricity monitor to my HPHW tank. For my wife and I it was averaging around 1-2 kwh a day. Even if I we had to pay for the electricity with the 3rd highest electricity costs in CT it was less than $10 a month. The savings are insane.

12th electric bill since installation arrived yesterday (Merry Christmas! ;lol )
569 kWh compared to 738 last year.
When I get a few minutes I will add up the total savings for the year...

So I finally remembered to compare 2020 electric usage to 2019 (pre HPWH)
2020 was 1852 kWH less than 2019...for us, that is a savings of $216.68. ($18/MO)
No way to say for sure that is the EXACT amount the HPWH was directly responsible for saving us, but it was the only change made... everything about our household was basically the same otherwise, so I'ma say the HPWH was responsible for 99% of that.
So with what I paid for it, and with paying $70 more for the extended warranty, that gives me roughly a 5 year payback...and I have that 10 year full warranty....so it will have paid for itself, and the next one by the very soonest time I could potentially have to pay for another one out of pocket...and it seems like the prices have come down on them too, but no regrets...

Last edited: