Seasoning Rack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jlow

Feeling the Heat
Jan 19, 2009
Sterling Heights, Michigan
Near completion of my seasoning location for my first year of burning. Still need to put the roof on. The wood next to it is from my neighbors yard. Some dead ash. The rack is 20' x 8' x 8' tall. Should hold 6-7 cords. I will move them to the garage in the fall for the burning season. My wife wants me to use it for a horse stable instead. I guess I could always build another one a little farther back.

Attachments

• DSC04459.JPG
    DSC04459.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 641
  • DSC04468.JPG
    DSC04468.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 666
  • DSC04476.JPG
    DSC04476.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 658
I'm a little worried about the strength of that roof WRT snow load. It wouldn't meet minimum code around here. Did you pull a permit and have it inspected? I would double up on all roof horizontal members.

Unless you are going to use the horse to help move wood,,, build the stable farther back. He will just get jealous watching you walk past him to spend time with your wood! :)

Thanks for the heads up. I thought about using 2' x 6' for the roof, but, we really don't get the snow like you do. If it got out of hand I could easily remove the snow. I ived in N Minnesota and everyone had a roof shovel. I have never needed one here. The shingles will be dark green and it is in all day sun so I hope for some melting to occur.

A few suggestions. I think you would be better off splitting your wood now & working on the shed later. I also always make a point of not having my rounds on end, especially on the ground. To my way of thinking,
the end facing up is sucking in water when it rains for three days. Th bottom end on the ground is also acting as a big sponge & the bark is holding all that moisture in. Laying on it's side exposes both ends to wind
and sun to start the drying process. I realize that is ash, but I got in the habit of dealing with all wood the same way.
Al

Thanks Al, for the info. Those rounds I split yesterday. I had bucked them on Saturday and brought them home. Now that I have a splitter I don't let them sit for more than a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.