(Semi-Serious Post) How high is too high? (picture included)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have never seen this before, that is awesome!! I might have to try this because I have so much wood I don't know where I am going to stack it all
Oh you can get real creative:

Reactions: ispinwool
From somewhere in Maine . . .

12744_1180382222864_3499918_n.jpg

I used To stack higher than 4’ on a slight hill with levelers but with the high clay soils we have and the frost that can go deep sometimes the stacks always moved in the spring and fell. I’m on level ground now with less soil so I can stack up to 6’ with no problems except putting my canvas tarps isn’t as easy as it could be.

Reactions: t0asty
We stack about 6 feet. No end posts, just cribbing. So far so good. We did some at 7-8 feet last year with excellent results.

How about a Norwegian stack?

vedstabel_1024x1024.jpg

DSC_0049-Photo-Lars-Mytting.jpg
THAT is a thing of beauty!! did you know about "Slow TV: National Firewood Evening"...it's a Norwegian TV show
about all things firewood related. (there are actually 2 or 3 different ones.) I settled in with some knitting and enjoyed it tremendously!

I stack mine about 5' 3" on top of TWO pallets. So the rubber roof top covering of my stacks of wood are at about my nose level...and I'm 6'5" tall. I also cut mine 20-22" long too, so that helps keep them upright.

DSC00792.JPG

THAT is a thing of beauty!! did you know about "Slow TV: National Firewood Evening"...it's a Norwegian TV show
about all things firewood related. (there are actually 2 or 3 different ones.) I settled in with some knitting and enjoyed it tremendously!
I'll have to look up Slow TV.

A very good book about firewood, "Norwegian Wood- Chopping, Stacking, and Drying Wood the Norwegian Way", is one I recommend:
"the latest Scandinavian publishing phenomenon is not a Stieg Larsson–like thriller; it’s a book about chopping, stacking, and burning wood that has sold more than 200,000 copies in Norway and Sweden and has been a fixture on the bestseller lists there for more than a year. Norwegian Wood provides useful advice on the rustic hows and whys of taking care of your heating needs, but it’s also a thoughtful attempt to understand man’s age-old predilection for stacking wood and passion for open fires. An intriguing window into the exoticism of Scandinavian culture, the book also features enough inherently interesting facts and anecdotes and inspired prose to make it universally appealing. "

Norwegian Wood on Amazon

It is a good read.