Should I tip my chimney sweep

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Oct 15, 2020
New Hampshire
Chimney sweep company just installed a liner for our pellet boiler.

their invoice service has a spot for tipping. Is it normal, expected, preferred to tip your Chimney Sweep?

10% would be a lot though I can do a custom tip.

hmm good question. seems everyone in america thinks they should be tipped. they have tip jars at fast food places now. My opinion is tip if you feel like it. I personally tip more then most because my wife works for tips, but that doesnt mean it should be expected.

I would think the best tip would be to give the sweep a good online review and good word of mouth, etc. You probably paid good money for the install to begin with. Just my opinion.

I feel like it matters if you're dealing w/ an owner or just a crew.

I appreciate the feedback everyone!

They did a greatjob but after spending $1800 I think we’re tapped out. I’ll definitely leave a glowing review for them and spread the word. Additionally I know they will be installing another liner and wood insert in the future for us as well as regular maintenance. Hopefully that is plenty of appreciation!

I’m happy to tinker and DIY things but I’m terrified of heights. No way you’d catch me on the roof, in the middle of a snowfall no less!

Reactions: marty319
I appreciate the feedback everyone!

They did a greatjob but after spending $1800 I think we’re tapped out. I’ll definitely leave a glowing review for them and spread the word. Additionally I know they will be installing another liner and wood insert in the future for us as well as regular maintenance. Hopefully that is plenty of appreciation!

I’m happy to tinker and DIY things but I’m terrified of heights. No way you’d catch me on the roof, in the middle of a snowfall no less!
I get tips occasionally. It's usually $10 or so. For me it isn't about the money it is more that they showed appreciation. I got a toblerone on Monday that was definitely as good as $10 at the time. We get cookies etc allot as well

I get tips occasionally. It's usually $10 or so. For me it isn't about the money it is more that they showed appreciation. I got a toblerone on Monday that was definitely as good as $10 at the time. We get cookies etc allot as well
What’s a toblerone ?? Never heard that word before..
BTW, hows that stove treating ya ??

Reactions: bholler
Yeah, I wouldn't put a line for tips on our invoices either. My guys/gals get tips when the customer feels like it. I think they do pretty well around Christmas, lol.

When I have work done at my house, its probably a big project with lots of guys, like a roof. Cash isn't practical, but i make sure there's a cooler with drinks, snacks, etc for them. Really, its the appreciation that matters. That candy bar really makes a difference!

Reactions: marty319
What’s a toblerone ?? Never heard that word before..
BTW, hows that stove treating ya ??
Pretty good it seems like the cat is on its way out at this point.

I never accept tips but one time this older couple 80-90’s offered some canning goods if I brought the jars back = yup. Pie fillings and some jams. I made sure they have my # in case something comes up

Reactions: moresnow
Chimney sweep company just installed a liner for our pellet boiler.

their invoice service has a spot for tipping. Is it normal, expected, preferred to tip your Chimney Sweep?

10% would be a lot though I can do a custom tip.
I have had lots of work done by contractors over the years and have never ever seen a spot on the invoice for tipping.as far as I'm concerned that is very tacky

Reactions: bholler
The only person I tip that doesn't normally get a tip is a Waffle House cook, but only if they have a joint tucked in the hat band.
And you haven't lost your shoes stuck to a greasy floor when you walk out;lol