The Blaze King Performance Thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
northroadak said:
We had a new Princess insert installed last August. Burning beetle killed spruce, we're averaging 7 to 8 hours on a full charge. I keep hearing about setting thermostats on "1.50" or "1.75". What does that mean? Mine has 9 marks from low to high, no numbers anywhere. Is 1.50 halfway between the first and second mark?

The free standing has numbers.(mine anyway) 1 is around 1 o'clock, 2 is 3 o'clock and 3 is around 5 o'clock and the max position is straight down.

Lanning said:
BKInsert said:
northroadak said:
Mine has low and high with 8 dots between them, no lines. You have to use the flashlight to see them.

Forget about the dots and numbers, the thermostat dial moves 180° or half a circle, from low at the bottom end, to Hi at the top facing up. If you run the stove at close to the low mark, lets say 1st dot, you will get the longest burn times, I get anywhere between 14 hours to 18 hours. If you run the stove at half output, thermostat dial half way facing the stove wall, your burn time will reduce to 8 to 12 of useful burn times. If you run it at 3/4 or full burn times may drop to 6-8hours of useful heat. Don't forget to set the blower fan at approximately the same setting as the thermostat dial, this will affect your heat output and burn times as well.

There are some other factors that will affect your burn time but I think overall this should work for most BK Insert users.

Plus 1 on your comments about the BK insert, although my burn times are just a little shorter right now because all I have is ash. what kind of wood are you burning to get those times?

Mostly hard wood, but when warm outside I use some of the silver maple I have, you can feel the difference in the weight of the wood, the silver maple is mostly on the light side...

BKInsert said:
northroadak said:
Mine has low and high with 8 dots between them, no lines. You have to use the flashlight to see them.

Forget about the dots and numbers, the thermostat dial moves 180° or half a circle, from low at the bottom end, to Hi at the top facing up. If you run the stove at close to the low mark, lets say 1st dot, you will get the longest burn times, I get anywhere between 14 hours to 18 hours. If you run the stove at half output, thermostat dial half way facing the stove wall, your burn time will reduce to 8 to 12 of useful burn times. If you run it at 3/4 or full burn times may drop to 6-8hours of useful heat. Don't forget to set the blower fan at approximately the same setting as the thermostat dial, this will affect your heat output and burn times as well.

There are some other factors that will affect your burn time but I think overall this should work for most BK Insert users.

Your getting that long of a burn time with the blower on? I get 10 hours on low, max with the blower on, with the blower off the damn thing burns all day. During frigid spells I have my tstat in the middle and blower in the middle and I turn the tstat up as the load burns down. If Im there to baby sit the stove I get 6-8 hours too of good heat.

weatherguy said:
BKInsert said:
northroadak said:

Your getting that long of a burn time with the blower on? I get 10 hours on low, max with the blower on, with the blower off the damn thing burns all day. During frigid spells I have my tstat in the middle and blower in the middle and I turn the tstat up as the load burns down. If Im there to baby sit the stove I get 6-8 hours too of good heat.

I always use the blower, I usually keep it in track with the thermostat dial. During the frigid spells mine runs as you described, 6 hours of useful heat that could be extended to 8 with some tinkering with it. At very low setting, never all the way low, just a tad higher, I get the 14 to 18 hours. To clarify it at 18 hours I can restart it with enough small red coals, stove temperature probably very low, maybe ~200.

I really doubt that the blowers make a diff in burn times..only way it could is if the stove cooled enough to open the t-stat.
Maybe on the inserts in could happen.
I know my blowers will not open my t stat..at least not until the fuel is running somewhat low.

You will transfer more heat off the stove faster which in turn cool the steel some...and heat transfers to something cooler- faster...still don't change the burn in the stove...only more air can do that as far as burning the wood faster.
This myth is starting to drive me nuts..lol.

Turning the air up is burning your wood up faster...nothing else.
Unless someone can prove me wrong!

HotCoals said:
I really doubt that the blowers make a diff in burn times..only way it could is if the stove cooled enough to open the t-stat.
I know my blowers will not open my t stat..at least not until the fuel is running somewhat low.

You will transfer more heat off the stove faster which in turn cool the steel some...and heat transfers to something cooler- faster...still don't change the burn in the stove...only more air can do that as far as burning the wood faster.

Well cooling the stove will open the tstat more allowing more air to fuel the fire thus burning it down faster, it makes a big difference. The week I didnt have power I was getting 14-16 hour burns on the same setting Im getting 10 hours now.

weatherguy said:
HotCoals said:

Well cooling the stove will open the tstat more allowing more air to fuel the fire thus burning it down faster, it makes a big difference. The week I didnt have power I was getting 14-16 hour burns on the same setting Im getting 10 hours now.
I said it may on the insert.
The t-sat works off how hot the back of the stove is.
I been testing a lot and on mine the blowers won't open it if I have a good load burning.
I set the t-stat just to where it closes(i have the cover off) then turn the blowers on..the cat probe temp will drop a lot..the ir will show some drop.
But the fire don't change and the stat does not open..now when the fuel runs low the t-stat will open..but that is a long ways off when only a few hours into it.

I think some of you guys are just turning it up some when the fans are on..it don't take much after 2 to open the air more then you think.

HotCoals said:
I set the t-stat just to where it closes(i have the cover off)

What do you mean by where it closes? I've never had the cover off mine.

HotCoals said:

On any insert you need to run the blower to transfer the heat from the stove part that is inside the chimney, out to the room. The blowers will not affect the burn time if run correctly, they WILL affect the heat output dramatically. Think about it, the stove sits mostly/partially inside a firebrick cave, it will heat up this mass and conduct some of the heat through the pipe up to the top of the chimney, this would be a waste of BTU's.

Believe it or not if you close the thermostat almost all the way and keep the blower towards the high speed you will shorten the burn cycle, the stove will cool down and the thermostat will open to compensate for the heat drop in the stove. The room temperature will increase, due the faster heat transfer from the stove to the room acting as a good heat exchanger, and this is why the burn time will shorten. This is energy conservation.

SolarAndWood said:
HotCoals said:
I set the t-stat just to where it closes(i have the cover off)

You can hear the t-stat closing, try to cycle the t-stat back and forth in the middle of a burn, you will hear it where it closes, this is the door flap of the air intake. The position where you can hear it will change depending on the temperature of the stove.

SolarAndWood said:

If the stove is stone cold and you go from high burn down you'll hear a metallic sound when the flapper closes, this happens around 1 on mine, when my stove is decently warmed up it happens just south of 2. The closing point will change depending on how hot the stove is as the temps increase the close point should be higher.

BKInsert said:
HotCoals said:

On any insert you need to run the blower to transfer the heat from the stove part that is inside the chimney, out to the room. The blowers will not affect the burn time if run correctly, they WILL affect the heat output dramatically. Think about it, the stove sits mostly/partially inside a firebrick cave, it will heat up this mass and conduct some of the heat through the pipe up to the top of the chimney, this would be a waste of BTU's.

Believe it or not if you close the thermostat almost all the way and keep the blower towards the high speed you will shorten the burn cycle, the stove will cool down and the thermostat will open to compensate for the heat drop in the stove. The room temperature will increase, due the faster heat transfer from the stove to the room acting as a good heat exchanger, and this is why the burn time will shorten. This is energy conservation.

I know all that.
I been playing with this for almost two seasons.
If that t-stat does not open the burn will not change.
Like I said twice now..it may have more effect in a insert situation.

I know you insert guys cant do it but the free standers can take off the cover with just two screws and see the dang thing.
Do it into a nice burn then turn the blowers on and report back.

Where it closes completely? The only time that happens in this house is May or maybe if someone sets the tstat too high at the beginning of the cycle.

rdust said:
SolarAndWood said:

If the stove is stone cold and you go from high burn down you'll hear a metallic sound when the flapper closes, this happens around 1 on mine, when my stove is decently warmed up it happens just south of 2. The closing point will change depending on how hot the stove is as the temps increase the close point should be higher.
Mines the same way.
Some think when the stove clicks heating up or down that the t-sat is making that noise..nope.
BK is a little to proud of the t-sat imo.
The long burn times are when the thing never opens.
If you take the cover off you will see below the flapper a hole that lets a small amount of air in at all times.

Attachments

• wood 001.jpg
    wood 001.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 347
SolarAndWood said:
Where it closes completely? The only time that happens in this house is May or maybe if someone sets the tstat too high at the beginning of the cycle.
It closes when you hear the click turning it down from 3 or whatever.

HotCoals said:
SolarAndWood said:

Gotcha, that sound if you drop it fast at the beginning of the burn? Then it burns on the min air through that hole until the stove cools off? Then opens to maintain whatever temp you set it to?

If the flapper is open the air gets inside the stove through the two outside tubes then down past the flapper into the stove,
if the flapper is closed the air has a shorter route into the stove..from the bottom middle through the little hole into the stove.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 527
mines freestanding with low med high. so thats not the theory behind the numbers vs words

that must be a heck of a linkage setup for adjusting the tstat on the insert. anyone got a diagram or pic of that?

SolarAndWood said:
HotCoals said:
SolarAndWood said:

Gotcha, that sound if you drop it fast at the beginning of the burn? Then it burns on the min air through that hole until the stove cools off? Then opens to maintain whatever temp you set it to?
Right..that's how it is supposed to work.
But trust me..better yet pull your cover and see for yourself..tha stove has to be down around 250 stove top to even begin to open usually...and that is if you leave it to right at the edge of being closed after your fire is established and ready for low cruise.
Now..if you have it say at 2.5 and the fire is not going good yet it will close it after the stove gets up in temp.it does a better job doing that then opening back up again.

HotCoals said:
BKInsert said:
HotCoals said:

I know all that.
I been playing with this for almost two seasons.
If that t-stat does not open the burn will not change.
Like I said twice now..it may have more effect in a insert situation.

I know you insert guys cant do it but the free standers can take off the cover with just two screws and see the dang thing.
Do it into a nice burn then turn the blowers on and report back.

I know you do, just trying to explain how the insert works... Ideally a free standing stove has the best overall stove to room heat transfer efficiency, to gain back some of this efficiency one needs to insulate the stove part that is inside the fireplace as much as possible.

greythorn3 said:
mines freestanding with low med high. so thats not the theory behind the numbers vs words

I think it's as simple as yours is an older model, they probably changed it when they went to the 1006 model number. A lot change change in a decade plus.

Something you might want to try.

If your burning down coals and you want to speed it up throw a cup or two of pellets on the coals with the air all the way up.
Talk about some heat in a hurry..and it will burn the coals up faster!

I can heat the stove from 250 stove top to over 500 in like 15 mins doing it..then reload for the night.
It is something that works well once you get it down.
1 bag last forever and you can always spike a fire with it!

Attachments

• burn 002.jpg
    burn 002.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 500
  • burn 001.jpg
    burn 001.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 480
HotCoals said:

If your burning down coals and you want to speed it up throw a cup or two of pellets on the coals with the air all the way up.

I can heat the stove from 250 stove top to over 500 in like 15 mins doing it..then reload for the night.

Thats a good idea, It probably works better than eco bricks.

It does!
I have done it both ways..pellets 10 times better and way cheaper.
Just rake the coals forward and spread a few cups of pellets over them..not deep...crank the air but you might not need full open.
If you want you can make your stove a blast furnace doing it!
I have the cat engagement doing it..just as i do if I was just burning coals period.
Most times I get home at 5..and when its warm like this (35F) I just burn coals till 9-10 pm...then if there is to many yet I use some pellets..or even if the stove is just down on temp I use them.
Just loaded up and it's 78F in the next room..prolly 85 in my family room.
The wife loves it!

weatherguy said:
HotCoals said:

Thats a good idea, It probably works better than eco bricks.

+2, thanks for the tip! sounds like a great idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.