Tips on insulating around garage door tracks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Green Mtn Boy

Nov 19, 2008
Northern Vermont
Just wondering if anyone has any tricks for a better way to insulate around the tracks of a garage door. I can hear the wind whistle through on a windy day. I believe it's coming from in between the door panels where they bend and also at the very bottom of the door. I have heavy duty garage door weather stripping on the outside of the door but they have a barn door look so it doesn't contact directly on the door but instead on the band board. My first thought was to build a small wall around each side and insulated it but was looking for other ideas to incorporate.

You can buy this stuff that looks like trim board, which has a nice gasket made into it for the sides. Also if you look at the track, you will see that it can be adjusted to bring the door closer or further from the wall. As for the bottom of the door, there is a product avaiable for that as well, it mounts on the bottom of the door.

You say it is coming in where the panels bend. So it is not a big one piece door.
Then why not put some of that sticky one side foam strip tape (get thin) and apply it along the top of each door panels. So you would need a lot of tape (each panel section will need a strip). Should act as a draftstop.
I have the problem on the sides of the door. Will look into what was mentioned above.

Status
Not open for further replies.