Two trees down from storm: What are they?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FTG-05

Feeling the Heat
Feb 8, 2014
TN
Found two downed trees on my property yesterday from Saturday's storm that came through.

I suspect I know what they are but I thought I'd ask the experts.

Unless they are really useful for smoking meat, I won't be processing them - I simply don't have the room anymore.

Tree #1:

uw4W4FY.jpg fiViLaA.jpg HhqNz8F.jpg

Tree #2:

6kTI3E1.jpg xPuifjd.jpg

Thanks for looking and the help!

Last edited by a moderator:
#1. I think tulip poplar.

#2: Sassafrass. Cut off some of the leaves and bark. They should be very fragrant. Does it smell like root beer?

Reactions: TreePointer
Yes, poplar and sassafrass. You can make tea from the root of that sassafrass tree. Fresh sassafrass tea is delicious, cut out a 3 ounce chunk of root and boil it for ten minutes.
Smells like root beer.

+7. The leaves make it a piece of cake ID.

Reactions: TreePointer
#1. I think tulip poplar.

#2: Sassafrass. Cut off some of the leaves and bark. They should be very fragrant. Does it smell like root beer?

What I figured - worthless.

Also, I can't smell. I can't even smell the two skunks I shot in the last month or so. But the orange color gave it away as does the bark texture.

Anyone who lives in SC TN want these two, just bring your truck and trailer and I'll load them up with my tractor. Offer starts around the end of July due to knee replacement surgery. PM me if interested. Like I said, I have no room for them.

Be carefull with the Sassafrass tea. I believe it's been labeled a carcinogen. That's why I believe you don't see it around anymore. Could be wrong but check on it first before partaking.

No kidding? Sassafrass tea a carcinogen?
I used to make that stuff all the time when I was a kid. I was a suburban kid, I thought it was cool that you could get food from the woods, when I was 10 years old I went into the woods all the time, especially in spring time, and dug up a little sassafrass plant and made tea and drank it.

Dammit, I poisoned myself at age 10.

Yea, you and me both. A couple local farm shows used to have a food vendor show up that made and sold sassparila (spelled right?) that's made from the Sassafrass root and carbonated like root beer. After the carcinogen thing he never showed up after that. I was told that was why. This was back in the early 90's.

What I figured - worthless.
Well, I use Tulip for kindling. You might have room for some of that, if you even use kindling. Sassafras is very rot-resistant, if you need to lay a log on the ground for some reason..erosion control or whatever.

Yea, you and me both. A couple local farm shows used to have a food vendor show up that made and sold sassparila (spelled right?) that's made from the Sassafrass root and carbonated like root beer. After the carcinogen thing he never showed up after that. I was told that was why. This was back in the early 90's.
We used to make the tea as kids too. There were smaller sassafras growing right across the street. It does have the capacity to cause cancer and liver damage in lab rats, but to what extent in humans is unknown. The best time to get a little root is in early spring apparently.
https://www.drweil.com/diet-nutrition/food-safety/sassafras-tea-safety/

There are many natural toxins in foods that we enjoy and even in medicines. The strength and dosage is what makes the difference.

Reactions: Kevin Weis
I wouldn't call it worthless - there are BTUs in it. I'd add it to my stacks, especially if it is easy to get to - looks like it is on a yard or field edge?

Id keep the poplar as its a good shoulder season wood .. you could cut it up now and it would be ready this October ..

You want it, come get it, I'll load it for you, won't even have to touch it. (Offer good end of July due to knee replacement surgery).

Otherwise: I literally don't have the room to store it:

Pole Barn. the rack to the left of the fuel tank is now empty. I'm saving that rack for a standing dead Shagbark Hickory I'll take down next fall (each single rack is about 0.6 of a cord). Everything else is full:

ACZjjlt.jpg

Wood shed #2. First two bays are full of mixed hardwoods including Hickory, Poplar, Hackberry and some Maple. Last bay is full of recreational wood, mostly Oak wood flooring and that massive POS Tree of Heaven:

ABWv8Ml.jpg

Wood shed #2. First bay to the left is full of Poplar. The 2nd is full of White Oak, Hickory, Ash (visible as rounds) and Locust. The 3rd bay is about 2/3s full of Red Oak; I'll be saving that for smoking wood when it's ready in a couple years (each bay is ~3 cords):

Yum4vGj.jpg

Free offer: anyone wants these, come get them late July.

Thanks,

Reactions: Woody Stover
I appreciate the offer but it's like an 800 mile drive not quite worth it

Well, fork me living: I wrote that long-winded bloviated response - and forgot to check your location first! Don't I feel dumb! ;em