Uh oh...what's this?!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
So I was kinda right! Is there a large difference in heat output with the plenum? Of course the firebox is a little larger too.
Well...yes and no. It was a really busy summer around here and I didn't get everything changed over the way I wanted to. My goal is to take the Yukon out, install this unit in its place, and then I have a 60-70k BTU oil furnace that will be tied in too...make it all work together seamlessly. The way things are now, if I want to run the AC or oil heat I have to do a little work to switch things around...gotta get it to where its more user friendly so the wife can run things if I'm laid up or gone...I'm on call 24/7 at work and sometimes I get called a lot in the winter.
Anyways, it got to be late October and it finally got cold...we soon were gonna need more heat than the fireplace stove can make, so I had to throw things together in little time...so it went in as an "add-on" just like the Tundra was...so no plenum...I have a 10x20 duct coming straight off 'er up into one of the main ducts...working pretty well like that.
Definitely has a lil more nuts than the Tundra...but its hard to compare directly because we have added an extra 650 sq ft that we were not heating before...that, and this winter has been so mild so far! Still haven't loaded but twice per day...and half loads (at most) at that!

Reactions: laynes69
IMG_20190101_223402060 (2).jpg IMG_20190101_224134249 (2).jpg

Reactions: JRHAWK9
I think @3fordasho gets credit for figuring this out first... @laynes69 was on my trail too...but thought I was still running the VF200 from last year that he found for sale and passed on...then I swooped in and bought. @JRHAWK9 has been in the loop the whole time (except for the color) ==c quite the wealth of Kuuma knowledge he is...

I think @3fordasho gets credit for figuring this out first... @laynes69 was on my trail too...but thought I was still running the VF200 from last year that he found for sale and passed on...then I swooped in and bought. @JRHAWK9 has been in the loop the whole time (except for the color) ==c quite the wealth of Kuuma knowledge he is...

Should have just kept throwing hints around for the rest of the winter lol.

Reactions: brenndatomu
Why did you sell a 200 model for the 100?
Longer firebox...the VF200 takes 18" wood...and I have 20 cords cut to 20-22" sittin here, which the
VF100 takes 22" max.
I spent all last winter cutting 4-6" off each split...when spring came I said, enough!
That, and the 200 was just barely big enough to do the job...and I knew we were going to be adding more space to heat starting this winter, so the 200 would have struggled to keep up once winter really set in.

Last edited:
Longer firebox...the 200 takes 16" wood...I have 20 cords cut to 20-22" here, which the 100 takes 22" max.
I spent all last winter cutting 4-6" off each split...when spring came I said, enough!
That, and the 200 was just barely big enough to do the job...and I knew we were going to be adding more space to heat starting this winter, so the 200 would have struggled to keep up once winter really set in.

(And if anyone didn't know, the 100 is bigger than the 200. Not sure why they numbered them like that, seems a bit backwards. But they're allowed. :) )

Should have just kept throwing hints around for the rest of the winter lol.
Thought about draggin it out a lil more...but when ya have a hot lil number in a red dress ya kinda wanna take 'er out and show 'er around a lil, no?! ;) ;lol

Sorry about the crappy pics...its kinda tight in there for taking good pictures...and my new phone doesn't always do the best pics
either...it can, but doesn't always.

Reactions: Case1030
So is it a v100 painted red?

@brenndatomu What is the difference between a VF100 and VF100R ?

If we were talking John Deere tractors I would know. ;)

The 'R' model has that fancy, user applied, red paint job. It's a very rare one of a kind model. ;lol

For what its worth, i knew from the 1st pic. But i just saw the 1st pic tonight, so i lose.. How are you liking the set it and forget it? Have you played with t-stat or high low? Took me a year to really get it the way i wanted.

Reactions: JRHAWK9 and woodey
Holey moley...he is still alive!
Well, the way I had the Tundra set up it was almost set it and forget it too...but not quite to the degree the Kuuma is.
Its working very well so I haven't played with it too much...worked through a couple minor bugs right off the bat, and added a speed control to the blower...just put wood in, and shovel ashes out since then.

Reactions: JRHAWK9
Holey moley...he is still alive!
Well, the way I had the Tundra set up it was almost set it and forget it too...but not quite to the degree the Kuuma is.
Its working very well so I haven't played with it too much...worked through a couple minor bugs right off the bat, and added a speed control to the blower...just put wood in, and shovel ashes out since then.
Of course you did!! lol... I still have no need for improvements... really boring actually.

Reactions: brenndatomu
LOL.. It is.. I wish I had that passion. but its not needed for me. Been contemplating doing a speed controller with a pid loop of the T-stat. But I don't need it, and need to allocate my time and cash towards the new Harley.