VC Intrepid II Non-standard Glass Gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew Olney

Dec 29, 2015
Tennessee
I'm doing my first full replacement of gaskets on a Vermont Castings Intrepid II I bought used some years ago. I've replaced the door gasket before but this is my first for griddle and glass gaskets.

The strange thing is the glass gasket. What is in there now appears to be non-standard, but at the same time it looks like it was precision manufactured for the door.

The current gasket appears to be thin white fiberglass mat cut to the exact dimensions of the glass. This is in contrast to the recommended replacement part listed in the manual and online, which is 3/16 "rope" gasket (e.g. http://www.amazon.com/3440-Intrepid-Vigilant-Vermont-Castings/dp/B00J10U456)

Here is a picture of the gasket with the glass removed

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B15kNkuEypndYXFLbEtramhUb3c

I think I'd like to replace with what is in there now. Unlike the other gaskets I've replaced, the door has no "channel" cut to accept a rope gasket, meaning that the mating surface is flat. Also the screws that hold the glass in place are pretty short; too short I think to include 3/16 gasket in addition to the glass thickness, but I haven't tested that.

I have looked for it because it can also be used as gasketing for some cast bronze
gas grill burner & furnace/boiler components. AFIK, it comes in sheets,
& the amount of waste left from cutting out specific shapes, just doesn't make it
cost effective. I it should be available at some industrial heating supply places.

Status
Not open for further replies.