Vermont Castings Resolute III Rebuild

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

arakt1

Feb 21, 2017
SC
Well...here we go! I bought an older VC Resolute III and upon my first fire...smoke leaked from everywhere! Rebuild time! This is my first attempt. I ordered a new gasket kit and new cement. Today I completely disassembled the stove & started removing the surface rust. This will be a tedious task, but the stove seems to be solid...nothing cracked. I'll try to keep you guys posted. And, please feel free to offer your advice if you have experience with this stove. Thanks for the input.

Attachments

• IMG_1257.JPG
    IMG_1257.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 966
  • IMG_1260.JPG
    IMG_1260.JPG
    160.6 KB · Views: 940
  • IMG_1261.JPG
    IMG_1261.JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 805
  • IMG_1262.JPG
    IMG_1262.JPG
    177.6 KB · Views: 799
  • IMG_1263.JPG
    IMG_1263.JPG
    180.1 KB · Views: 861
  • IMG_1264.JPG
    IMG_1264.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 803
  • IMG_1265.JPG
    IMG_1265.JPG
    158.6 KB · Views: 800
  • IMG_1266.JPG
    IMG_1266.JPG
    255.3 KB · Views: 792
  • IMG_1267.JPG
    IMG_1267.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 822
  • IMG_1268.JPG
    IMG_1268.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 818
  • IMG_1269.JPG
    IMG_1269.JPG
    169.2 KB · Views: 1,113
  • IMG_1287.JPG
    IMG_1287.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 846
Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Looks like you got this! Only 2 things which you nay have already thought of:

remove ALL the old cement from the grooves and mating surfaces. Every speck. It's really nice when your parts covered in nw cement go together as planned. It's really a mess when they don't.

Use new tie rods! You'll need the added length to pull it together at the end. Once they're finally tightened you snap off the ends.

Use never sieze on everything. Whether or not you're the guy who works on it next it'll be appreciated!

Good luck!!

There's 3 kinds of people in the world, those that can count, and those that can't.
Hey Defiant3- I'm I correct in my recollection that the fireback is no longer available for the Resolution 3? My parents 80s vintage model is in dire need of replacement.

Arak1- looking good! Thanks for sharing your experience. I have the exact task in my immediate future. I'm watching intently. Your fireback looks excellent. You have your paint picked out?

Unclear. I was told in JUly that the upper fireback was discontinued, now it seems to have shown up again though I haven't tried ordering one. Lower fireback has always been in production to my knowledge, but I can't really be sure of anything yet. Woodmans site currently shows ALL interior componets for the Resolute including the fireback kit, which I had thought was discontinued as well! Even the right insert is now available as a factory part. Woodman's had been casting them as aftermarket fro the last few years instead. Weird.

I recently looked at a Vigilant that had been "rebuilt" using bright cadmium plated
all-thread rod for tie rods. Some how that did not seem craftsman like to me. But you have to wonder why the replacement tie rods are $25 each. Couldn't we just run a 1/4 - 20 die down some 1/4" cold rolled steel? Or is there something special about those $25 replacments?

I recently looked at a Vigilant that had been "rebuilt" using bright cadmium plated
all-thread rod for tie rods. Some how that did not seem craftsman like to me. But you have to wonder why the replacement tie rods are $25 each. Couldn't we just run a 1/4 - 20 die down some 1/4" cold rolled steel? Or is there something special about those $25 replacments?
What's special is the price. They'll charge it if folks will pay it.

What do you not like about the cadmium plated replacements?

Just make sure that neverseize is used on the bolts, and your idea about using self-threaded rods should be fine. I'd paint the raw steel with high temp paint.