Weekend scrounge score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I too would highly recommend a Polar trailer. I was considering the tandem axle, but decided I didn't need the extra load capacity and could save the money. Even though these trailers are not cheap, I consider it the best tool investment I've made in the past 5 years. I went with the 1500 and added the side rail kit which pretty much doubles the volume you can haul. I use the trailer all year for yard chores, but it really shines for hauling wood. My wood piles aren't near the house so I use the trailer to stage firewood. I simply load the trailer with wood from my stacks, haul it to the walkout patio door where my hearth is located; I just leave the trailer there with a tarp to keep the snow off and then I use plastic totes to haul wood into the house as needed. A trailer load lasts me about a week of 24-7 burning and I don't need to keep a large pile of firewood near the house. Very slick and it's a great product that I wouldn't want to be without!

I will note that the dump feature works, but isn't like a true dump trailer (for example, dumping rock or soil, you have to shovel/rake most of it out as the dump angle isn't very extreme), but my use is primarily for firewood and therefore didn't buy it for the dump feature...though I do use it in that capacity.

Last edited:
I too would highly recommend a Polar trailer. I was considering the tandem axle, but decided I didn't need the extra load capacity and could save the money. Even though these trailers are not cheap, I consider it the best tool investment I've made in the past 5 years. I went with the 1500 and added the side rail kit which pretty much doubles the volume you can haul. I use the trailer all year for yard chores, but it really shines for hauling wood. My wood piles aren't near the house so I use the trailer to stage firewood. I simply load the trailer with wood from my stacks, haul it to the walkout patio door where my hearth is located; I just leave the trailer there with a tarp to keep the snow off and then I use plastic totes to haul wood into the house as needed. A trailer load lasts me about a week of 24-7 burning and I don't need to keep a large pile of firewood near the house. Very slick and it's a great product that I wouldn't want to be without!

I will note that the dump feature works, but isn't like a true dump trailer (for example, dumping rock or soil, you have to shovel/rake most of it out as the dump angle isn't very extreme), but my use is primarily for firewood and therefore didn't buy it for the dump feature...though I do use it in that capacity.
I would have bought the HD1500 if I had known they made it when I bought my HD1200 trailer but when I added the rail kit it was all good then and the weight I haul with the HD1200 is more than the ATV is rated at already anyways.
I recently replaced the tires on my trailer from 2 ply to 4 ply after one of them split open with weight in the trailer. I should be good now for some time. I guess this thread is turning into a trailer thread...ooops.

Take a look at JRHAWK9’s Polar trailer in the thread ATV+trailer in the gear forum. It’s a nice tandem trailer. You might not need as nice a trailer and Polar makes other nice ones. The also sell a metal rail kit for around $100 that builds up the walls so you can haul more if your UTV can pull the weight. And their trailers swivel and dump and are rated at 1200-1500lbs.

Ummmm. You have to be cautious about going broke saving money.

It's often difficult to get enough use out of vehicles to justify their purchase price, licensing, insurance and other operating costs. It may make sense to use one vehicle slightly more intensively than to buy another vehicle that will sit someplace rusting and taking up space 99.9% of the time.

"Saving" money by burning wood is often done by substituting labor for cash. If that's the bargain to be made, perhaps it's not a good practice to also substitute spending money for labor.

It's a judgement call, but when I read posts about people filling up their property with drying wood, buying a wood splitter, tractor, truck and other equipment, I wonder how much people wind up saving.

Of course, people are entitled to do as they wish, but if you also claim to be saving money.... (?)

Sometimes I'm wondering if this wood burning isn't promoted by wives who want to know where their husbands are all the time ---- in the back yard, splitting and stacking wood! And turning hunks of wood into splits while transforming themselves into hunks with all the physical labor!

Reactions: Sirsplittsalot
Ummmm. You have to be cautious about going broke saving money.

It's often difficult to get enough use out of vehicles to justify their purchase price, licensing, insurance and other operating costs. It may make sense to use one vehicle slightly more intensively than to buy another vehicle that will sit someplace rusting and taking up space 99.9% of the time.

"Saving" money by burning wood is often done by substituting labor for cash. If that's the bargain to be made, perhaps it's not a good practice to also substitute spending money for labor.

It's a judgement call, but when I read posts about people filling up their property with drying wood, buying a wood splitter, tractor, truck and other equipment, I wonder how much people wind up saving.

Of course, people are entitled to do as they wish, but if you also claim to be saving money.... (?)

Sometimes I'm wondering if this wood burning isn't promoted by wives who want to know where their husbands are all the time ---- in the back yard, splitting and stacking wood! And turning hunks of wood into splits while transforming themselves into hunks with all the physical labor!
I think it’s a hobby for some like me. A labor of love of some sorts. Yes I’ve spent big in 2 ported pro saws but I’m spoiled and that’s what I like to run. And the ATV and trailer I’ve had long before I burned wood but they are very handy to have when I’m cutting and collecting wood now. The log splitters I’ve had I bought on Black Fridays and I did well for what I got. I’m retired and it gives me something to do and a reason to get off of the iPad and get out of the house for and I like wood heat better than the drafty furnace plus I’m not lining the pockets of big oil buying their LP. Plus working with the wood gives me a good excuse to buy cool guy stuff right? ::-)

I think it’s a hobby for some like me. A labor of love of some sorts. Yes I’ve spent big in 2 ported pro saws but I’m spoiled and that’s what I like to run. And the ATV and trailer I’ve had long before I burned wood but they are very handy to have when I’m cutting and collecting wood now. The log splitters I’ve had I bought on Black Fridays and I did well for what I got. I’m retired and it gives me something to do and a reason to get off of the iPad and get out of the house for and I like wood heat better than the drafty furnace plus I’m not lining the pockets of big oil buying their LP. Plus working with the wood gives me a good excuse to buy cool guy stuff right? ::-)

Heh, heh! Everybody needs a hobby!

I have no argument with that, it just seems that some people spend a lot of money to save money!