What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I ended up with a stove that simmered the home to 75 F. Too hot for my taste.

Put 3/4 a load of sassafras in for overnight. 37 minimum temp early morning.

We still had some good winds going on last night and early this morning so I set the furnace at 62 overnight, our house temp was 68 when we had our first coffee so we set the furnace to 58, it won't run set at 58.

We had 22.6 this morning with hardly any winds so I started a fire in the wood stove with some cherry and red maple, the house temp is just over 70.

38 F this morning. Wind picked up yesterday afternoon and evening while it was cooling down. Home is still warm enough from yesterdays unintended (in-home) heat wave. (Cat-) stove is simmering. It seems Friday morning I will be letting the stove go cold. Then from Sunday it's an annoying 50-53 during the day while in the 30s at night. My stove works best running continuously rather than only having night fires. Not sure what I'm going to do then...

But until Friday it's burning time. Maybe I can finish the sassafras, after which I'll go pine and if it's cold overnight, oak.

We still had some good winds going on last night and early this morning so I set the furnace at 62 overnight, our house temp was 68 when we had our first coffee so we set the furnace to 58, it won't run set at 58.

We had 22.6 this morning with hardly any winds so I started a fire in the wood stove with some cherry and red maple, the house temp is just over 70.
We had some strong winds yesterday. Temp started at 40 and dropped to single digits quick. Was a crisp 7 degrees this morning. Threw a couple pine splits in to burn down coals and get some quick heat. Burning some elm, oak and locust now..

Gosh if you get some more 7 degrees I have a feeling you will be burning just oak...I read that the wood is the hottest burn and do not know if this is right...enjoy --I cannot use my stove until friday when we "might get cold weather and snow"---waiting for it...I will burn some kiln dried oak 16 inch pieces and enjoy the beautiful fire..clancey

Weather guessers lied, it was -13 this morning not -5. Overnight full hardwood fire wasn't enough to keep the furnace from kicking in, but I think I had the air open too far too long and sent BTU'S up the chimney. Furnace is set to 58, have it up to 64 with softwood in the Strattford II. It's up to 0 degrees F at 11:42...

Hope the wife got a good enough daytime load going in the NC30 at home to keep the electric baseboard heaters from kicking in while she's at work, although it's not quite as cold there.

Got my 520 square foot cabin in process.....last weekend I finished the main insulation work. Got out of there Sunday while we got 7-8" of snow!
I'll be up this weekend, will be a good test to see how cold the interior and slab gets unoccupied with temps like today! And it'll be a good test of how much wood I'll go through in a weekend. I'll be weighing what I burn.

I burned a LOT of lumber scraps recently before the cabin was insulated...I'll be burning red pine and red oak splits this weekend, the oak I CSS in 2018 and 19.

We had some strong winds yesterday. Temp started at 40 and dropped to single digits quick. Was a crisp 7 degrees this morning. Threw a couple pine splits in to burn down coals and get some quick heat. Burning some elm, oak and locust now..
I checked the house property for downed trees, we had a few very small trees come down but nothing that would go in the stacks.

Tomorrow I'll check a few more area that are higher in elevation.

Loosing track of all the different woods in my pile but got pine oak maple ash Bradford pear and one baby size mulberry split for tonight

IMG_20211207_192613567.jpg

34 now. A low of 32 tonight. Tomorrow 43/33 and they say snow.

Added 3 pieces of pine around 3 pm to keep it going. Now a full reload of sassafras.

Low headed for around 20 tonight, I started a small fire this afternoon to get the stove warmed up, used a couple splits of the red elm I have; took off without a hitch so I’m assuming it’s under 20% I got a few more to actually split and check tomorrow. Another load of pine down for tonight.

Down to 13 last night and sitting on 16 now. Loaded Betty up with Red Oak last night ending with a good bed of coals this a.m.. Gradual temp. swing up into the 40's and rain on saturday. Wierd winter continues, no appreciable
snow on the horizon for the next week or so.