What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Currently 37 out, house is 70. Checked the elm and the splits I checked are 10-14%, not bad considering it was cut green in January, sat in rounds til April then s/s. First real winter system coming through, only calling for a couple inches of snow possibly but lows headed for single digits starting tomorrow night. Have juniper and mahogany for those nights. I’ll start a warm up fire here shortly with some pine, then it’ll be red elm and pine for tonight with a low headed for the teens again. Another nice evening cozy by the stove watching Christmas movies with the mini me. Stay warm all.

What can I say: after adding three oddly shaped ash pieces in the afternoon to carry the stove until the night reload, I filled it with sassafras again around 8.30. Some bent splits though, so it isn't as full as normally. It should carry until 8 am or so.

39 then, a low of 33 tonight.

Woke up to coals and my ritual of loading 2/3 of a box of full of red oak. As usual, the wife keeps it simmering during the day.

Hickory and post oak last night with a low of 42. A warm front started moving through around midnight last night and its 48 now with 30 mph gusts. Going up to 67 today. Looks like no fire until maybe tomorrow night, after a high of 72 friday we will go back to 33 that night. Roller coaster weather for the last few weeks down here.

Hickory and post oak last night with a low of 42. A warm front started moving through around midnight last night and its 48 now with 30 mph gusts. Going up to 67 today. Looks like no fire until maybe tomorrow night, after a high of 72 friday we will go back to 33 that night. Roller coaster weather for the last few weeks down here.
You and I are in the same area. Im right on the Missouri border. Like you said, possibly may need to light up either tomorrow night or Saturday morning. Then looking at the forecast the 13th through the 17th looks like it may be warm enough to leave the box cold. Cold wind last night turned into a nice warm wind this morning. Deer season opens back up here the 26th-31st so I hope we get some cold weather then. I missed a doe on closing day. She was 20 feet away and I missed. 20 feet. ;em

You and I are in the same area. Im right on the Missouri border. Like you said, possibly may need to light up either tomorrow night or Saturday morning. Then looking at the forecast the 13th through the 17th looks like it may be warm enough to leave the box cold. Cold wind last night turned into a nice warm wind this morning. Deer season opens back up here the 26th-31st so I hope we get some cold weather then. I missed a doe on closing day. She was 20 feet away and I missed. 20 feet. ;em
🤣🤣🤣 OOPS! I will NOT reveal the closest deer I've missed..., but it's a downright rotten feeling when you could hit it with a thrown acorn. Head up and get back out there!

Yea it's been very warm. We might break another high temp record tomorrow. I've been there done that missing deer close. It inevitably happens if you hunt enough. Best to completely miss than wound one and it gets away though is how I try to look at it. Good luck, hope you get one.

More red oak and a few locust splits keeping us warm through the overnight. Headed for a warm up through the weekend. Stove will probably be cold for the next few days.

Burning down some pine, then ash and beech for overnight. Snowmageddon coming tomorrow afternoon through midday Saturday... 12-18" here in the northwoods if you believe the weather guessers... Home in SE WI is only supposed to get a coating to an inch.

Added a split of pine, one cedar, and an ash ugly this afternoon. That's done now.
34 f now, a low of 32. Tomorrow 50. I'll likely let the stove go cold tomorrow, as it'll be 50-39-60-43 (day, night, day etc), so the minisplit can do the job.

Will then brush the cat and scoop some ashes out this weekend.

Edit: of course I forgot to note what I reloaded with: sassafras.

28 right now and I'm absolutely pooped so I just loaded up a little early with red oak and red maple. Going to be 45 tomorrow so likely a tiny am reload then let it go out for the day. Saturday looks 50+ so it's likely gonna be a low wood usage weekend. Could be the last for a while but you never know up here in New England.

As promised, a small 6 split N/S load of shorties to take the edge off this morning. Working a 4 hr OT shift so I'll be home at 1:30 but I doubt I'll even reload it. Going to be pretty nice out today. Love how fast dry wood takes off!