What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It was 66.6 this morning.

Nothing in the stove but we had 57.7 before coffee this morning.

I'm not sure how much rain we received overnight but it stopped this morning before coffee, the temp earlier this morning was 61.3.

We had 48 this morning, I almost brought some wood in before I came in from working outside today but didn't.

It will be 43 here at the lake tonight. But apparently nice and sunny weekend, low 70s.
No burning yet.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Calling for 38 ::F tonight
Filled and tested the pellet stove this morning
Pulled the wood furnace pipes and checked for dead birds
non this year. Yes I have had them in the pipes before
As Diable said sunny and warm on the weekend

53 here right now. Might flip the switch on the LP fireplace😳. Did same last weekend (was testing the batteries 😉

7 a.m. 2 ::C Just short of our first frost
thinking about turning the pellet stove
on to take the chill out. low 20es::C this
afternoon

Thinking of shutting off the pool heater this weekend. Gotta get temperature down about 25 degrees before closing it.

Gonna be few more weeks before I'm burning, I think.

It was 6*C here this morning (65kms) north east of Ottawa. 21*C in the house. The sun will warm things up quickly. But yes, the heating season is coming. I read this somewhere the other day…they are calling for a cooler than normal fall and warmer than normal winter…..so I will say it will be the opposite 😝

Reactions: NickW and Ashful
It was 6*C here this morning (65kms) north east of Ottawa. 21*C in the house. The sun will warm things up quickly. But yes, the heating season is coming. I read this somewhere the other day…they are calling for a cooler than normal fall and warmer than normal winter…..so I will say it will be the opposite 😝
Yes, "they" can't get a 3 day forecast accurate so a whole season seems unlikely...

Reactions: Ashful
We're running the heat pump on some mornings as a chill chaser, but there is still enough daytime sunshine to warm up the house nicely. In the stove is wood ash. I will be getting it ready to burn next week. We are going to use the heat pump more this year. The goal will be to not burn until it gets below 40º. That might mean not burning until November. We'll see. This is a test to see what the actual cost ends up for heating exclusively with the heat pump during the shoulder season. If it's cost effective while keeping the house at 72º then we may only burn Nov-Feb instead of the usual Oct-Apr.

We had 40.8 this morning, we ran the propane fireplace for some heat.

We had 43.8 for a temp this morning, this afternoon in the sun it's 70 and in the shade 68.

overnight lows last night were upper 40s. Woke up to the house at 61. Sun shining though which warmed everything up nicely. Still buying our time before our first burn. Hoping to make it to October.

Cleaned the chimney today. Only had about 3 cups of light grey to dark grey soot/creosote from about 26 feet of chimney and burning around 2 cords last year. I'm very happy with that. We have geothermal heating and cooling, so we like to use the wood heat to supplement it as much as possible when it's cold out. We have our porch stacked and ready for winter. This year we have a lot of shagbark hickory so it will be interesting to see how it performs. The rest consist of oak, honey locust and ash. The oak and honey locust I like because it was old dead standing with no bark so it is nice and clean to bring in and burn.

IMG_20230916_221250.jpg

The boy wanted a fire tonight, pine and silver maple

We have 49.3 tonight.

Wood will be coming in today. Overnights have been in the low 40s. The new heat pump is happilly keeping up and throwing comfortable air, but I'm itching for some wood heat.

We had 55.3 this morning with an afternoon temp of 66.2 so far. I've been looking at the long range forecast, if it holds, we should start burning in the first week of October.

We had 54.5 this morning with steady rain which is still happening.