What to do with COALS, COAL BUILDUP, UGH!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ansehnlich1

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 5, 2006
Adams County, PA
HAHA %-P

Ain't no way I have too many coals yet, I just wanted to go right on ahead and address the problem BEFORE cold weather moves in :)

Been around long enough to know the inevitable.....'too many coals' threads will be around in the next couple months!

woooohoooooo!

can ya tell I'm bored???

Drag the mass of coals to the front of the stove, detach your keyboard and lay it on top of them, open the primary air all the way and close the door.

Don't forget to toss your mouse in there with it...helps minimize creosote buildup.

BrotherBart said:
Drag the mass of coals to the front of the stove, detach your keyboard and lay it on top of them, open the primary air all the way and close the door.

:lol:

ansehnlich1 said:
HAHA %-P

Ain't no way I have too many coals yet, I just wanted to go right on ahead and address the problem BEFORE cold weather moves in :)

Been around long enough to know the inevitable.....'too many coals' threads will be around in the next couple months!

woooohoooooo!

can ya tell I'm bored???

Burn Popple, your coal worries are all gone.

zap

Yep been there posted on that. Here is some of what I have learned. You might have coaling issues if your asking to much from your stove like I always am/was. They will tell you your wood is too wet, maybe but I was having the issue with kiln dried hardwood lumber scraps. It basically for me came down to I needed a stove that would be running 500-600 degrees top temp 24/7 to heat my house and that just isn't possible unless your throwing wood at it all the time and that isn't possible unless your removing coals all the time. At least it wasn't possible with the US Stove Magnolia. Good stove, results seemd to similar to what I read about on this forum.
When I got the Elm I was able to have my cake and eat it too. Coals in the back will last for many hours, rake to the front, where the primary air is old school in the door, and they burn hot and go away fast. All the time while maintaining good top temps with the fresh load in the back. Rinse, repeat and the cycle continues.

I've never really had a problem with it. I've almost always been able to let them burn down enough even in the cold weather before needing to reload. If this is a regular issue and the wood is good I'd think tightening up the house will help or a larger stove so you can go longer between reloads.

House is actually too tight. Yes there is such a thing. Windows in whole house sweat profusely in the winter months (modern thermopane windows). Odd for a house heated with wood and no humidifier running. But everyone, professionals included say its lack of fresh air in the house. Interior humidity can't adjust with outside air temp.
And I heat from basement, yes I know all the pitfalls with that. That's actually the under-insulated part of the equation.
Went to much bigger stove , 5.5cuft. from 3.5cuft.

Scoop them out and toss them on your driveway to melt snow and add chunky stuff for traction. My driveway is kind of steep and its look like it was from "Back to the Future" a few times. It beats shoveling.

OMG, j00r burning teh coal?! In a wood stove, no less! The mind reels! :p

Switch to pine till the coals burn down.

Throw a ferret in there. It aerates the coals and accelerates the burn rate. Oh, and they do a great job of cleaning the pipe on the way out.

Save them. They make great stocking stuffers at Christmas . . .

Carry them to Newcastle ;-)

Toss a cast iron pan in, get it hot for about 5 mins. Throw in a beautiful ribeye. Let cook to desired doneness.

Eat ribeye and contimplate getting a larger stove or better fuel :)

pen

jeeslouise, i got coals up to my friggin' burn tubes and don't know what to do :)

i was thinkin' of puttin' 'em in a plastic bag and store 'em next to the wood pile.....problem is, should I cover the tops or not? they are callin' for rain ya know!

I'm too cheap to buy the luxuries, if I get too many coals I just put then on the driver side seat in the truck. Gives me a nice toasty bottom without the expensive fancy new fangled "heated seats".

X's 2 Dougfir and any other NW wood that burns and leaves hardly any coals.... :lol:

pen said:
Toss a cast iron pan in, get it hot for about 5 mins. Throw in a beautiful ribeye. Let cook to desired doneness.

pen

If you can afford ribeyes, what the hell are you doing burning wood for heat?

BrotherBart said:
pen said:

pen

I told the neighbor he had better keep those cows out of my yard.

pen

ansehnlich1 said:
HAHA %-P

woooohoooooo!

can ya tell I'm bored???

Nice proactive approach.
Unfortunately, by the time someone with this problem comes along, this post will be loooong gone and they'll post anyway.
Us (We?) regulars get it.
The only time that happens to me is when it's real cold out for more than a day. The house just won't hold the heat (yes I know about adding more insulation), so I do the "big coal bed shuffle". ;-P

pen said:
BrotherBart said:
pen said:

pen

pen

I came real close to that one time at the old place. Landlord raised beef - black angus. H-mmmmm. One time one of the steers got out and ended up in my garden! I actually got the .06 out and put the crosshairs on it just to freak my wife out.

"Danny... don't do it!"

"Why not?"

"It's not our steer."

"It may look like a steer to you, but it looks like a porterhouse through this here scope." :coolgrin:

Battenkiller said:
pen said:
BrotherBart said:
pen said:

pen

pen

I came real close to that one time at the old place. Landlord raised beef - black angus. H-mmmmm. One time one of the steers got out and ended up in my garden! I actually got the .06 out and put the crosshairs on it just to freak my wife out.

"Danny... don't do it!"

"Why not?"

"It's not our steer."

"It may look like a steer to you, but it looks like a porterhouse through this here scope." :coolgrin:

"Just gettin' my veggies back"..

Status
Not open for further replies.