What would you buy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Which one do you like Meduim sized Contemporary Stoves from Jotul & Morso

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AngusMac

Hearth Supporter
Jul 28, 2010
Scotland
So, I hold a gun to your chest and ask you whats it going to be and why!?!
(not that we use guns where I come from (its mostly axes or log splitters :) )
The stove heights, widths and outputs are simmilar, sorry, I couldnt find photos of the same size.
1/ Morso 8140
33zbjht.gif

2/ Jotul 274
25jv8r9.jpg

3/ Jotul 250
10ruvf8.jpg

In my eyes, they are all Rosie O'Donnell ugly. Pick the one you like best.

Matt

EatenByLimestone said:
In my eyes, they are all Rosie O'Donnell ugly. Pick the one you like best.

Matt
Hi Matt, thanks for that, I suppose its the differance between the North American and European market.
who is Rossie O'Donnell?

I'd go with #3, and hold the Rosie pics, please :)

Hoo boy, that was rough. No more Rosie!

Gotta ask, do you cut your own wood or buy it? 12" sticks would drive me nuts, but if you buy fuel and that is a normal size, then I'm leaning toward #2, with soapstone sides.

All of them seem to have the same spec - max log length 12". In that case I'd pick the simple line of Morso, but I'd upgrade to 8150 if possible.

EatenByLimestone said:
It's just a contemporary look. Nothing wrong with it. That's why they make different stoves so everybody finds one they like.

As for Rosie, she's a very outspoken nut job.

Matt
they call her "old roast beef head were im from"

AngusMac said:
(not that we use guns where I come from (its mostly axes or log splitters :) )
The stove heights, widths and outputs are simmilar, sorry, I couldnt find photos of the same size.
1/ Morso 8140

2/ Jotul 274

3/ Jotul 250
Pull the trigger u aint putting one of those Rosie looking stoves in my house, I really liked you and your family till now angus,Your post of visit to Joutul was good . ( Differnt strokes for differnt folks.) Surely them ugly things will heat your hose they are made by Joutul.

Cpt

Now a Dolly looking stove thats a differnt story good luck to you and your family Angus.

They look more like a fridge (icebox) (Kinda like Rosie I guess)

But If I had to pick it would be #3

Your on a rolll tonight. Angus have you ever heard of either of thse 2 :bug: :bug:

cptoneleg said:
Your on a rolll tonight. Angus have you ever heard of either of thse 2 :bug: :bug:

Actually "these three".

As with all stove purchases look at the maker's specs, your heating requirements, advice from hearth.com com and then go buy the one your wife likes.

AngusMac said:
(not that we use guns where I come from...)

What would I buy? A bullet-proof vest.

By the way, not that we use guns where I come from, but around here when we threaten someone we hold a gun to his head, not his chest. I'd suggest you start a new thread in that vein if you want people to take this seriously.

I voted for #3. It has the classic lines of an Absolut bottle, which I would be using heavily if I owned that stove.

Angus, this is the 3rd (or is it 4 now) thread on the same topic. If you still haven't decided, flip a coin. They are both great stoves from great companies and you probably won't be able to tell a lick of difference between them. But, if you can get one with soapstone sides, I'd do that in a heartbeat.

Which ever stove of the three put out the most heat and had the best potential for a long burn, that would be my choice.

I like #2 especially if you get the soapstone option.

Todd said:
I like #2 especially if you get the soapstone option.

I like the design of the third one the best. Unfortunately I would probably need 8-10 of them to heat this house.

I really don't care for the contemporary look of these stoves . . . but if you forced me to choose at the point of a Claymore I would go with #3 . . . the lines are a bit softer and not as harsh and so boxy looking.

Between the sub-30k btu output and the 12" splits I would probably go insane If I had to own those stoves. I understand housing floor plans aren't as big in Europe, but you are still heating 1000 sq ft -1600 sq ft. It's not like everyone is living in an 600 sq ft studio.

I just don't understand why larger stoves aren't available for longer burn times. If I'm trying to heat anything over 1000 sq ft, it wouldn't be with one of the little stoves.

That isn't to say that the stoves aren't neat looking. I like the modern look. I am just baffled as to why they all carry nearly the same specs.

Maybe the stoves are made more for ambiance over there than heating. You can probably get as much ambiance from a 12" log as a 16" log. The twelve inch thing may be why there are multi fuel stoves over there. You can pack more btus into a small firebox with coal than wood.

Personally, I think the ultimate in ambiance would be a 4 foot wide stove. It would also be easier to stack a cord of wood. Personally I'd like to see Blaze King tackle this one. It could be the modern version of Load on Sunday, Hunt all week! (for Winchester fans)

Matt

I like the morso the best as shown because it has a solid look to it. However, I do like the elevated ones and how they have the underside area, is it OK to put stuff under them or would it violate the clearances?
I have seen the #2 one with the soapstone sides and it's gorgeous. Don't know why everyone is so down on the contemporary stoves, I think they are lovely. I would have loved a Morso 7110, the looks of it in person were just gorgeous, uncluttered, and it would fit into any type of decor. But the firebox was a little small, (and I ended up going with an insert anyway for less hearth modification). The only one I don't really like much of your selections is #3... it does look like an old icebox or something to me... I dunno. Good luck!

Phew... I regret starting this thread.
Okay, I m listening to you all.

First thing, the market in Europe seems totally alien to the US, maybe a bit like the differances in the automobile market?!

Second, I really look into a product before I buy, if I m spending big money, and have to look at the quality and operation.
So I ve looked at the technical drawings and discovered the following;
The Morso has 2 layers of cast, both Jotuls have one.
We looked at the stoves in the shop, and the door operation and air control on # 2 was hideious to say the least, and its air intake ducts at the back are dubious.
The 250 is relatively simple, but I can see the same quality there as the Morso (ok the Morso costs abou $US 450 more.

Lastly, I have always been a Jotul man, but, it seems to me that Morso (who were always Multifuels rather than Wood burner only) have started to produce excellant woodburner only and in the meduim sized contemporary market, they are probably better.

So I put the poll on to see if there was anything I was ignorant about, and I ve learnt a lot (mostly about Rosie O'Donnell, Dolly Parton and Dolly the sheep (she is a Scottish sheep (I m so proud....not)))
So, I know I ve put on 3 threads asking about this, I do appologise, but its a big purchase and we want to get the right thing.
If there is a prize, then I have to give it to Tickbitty for the best reply, but I find the other replies very entertaining, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.