What would you buy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Which one do you like Meduim sized Contemporary Stoves from Jotul & Morso

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
AngusMac said:
Phew... I regret starting this thread.
Okay, I m listening to you all.

First thing, the market in Europe seems totally alien to the US, maybe a bit like the differances in the automobile market?!

Second, I really look into a product before I buy, if I m spending big money, and have to look at the quality and operation.
So I ve looked at the technical drawings and discovered the following;
The Morso has 2 layers of cast, both Jotuls have one.
We looked at the stoves in the shop, and the door operation and air control on # 2 was hideious to say the least, and its air intake ducts at the back are dubious.
The 250 is relatively simple, but I can see the same quality there as the Morso (ok the Morso costs abou $US 450 more.

Lastly, I have always been a Jotul man, but, it seems to me that Morso (who were always Multifuels rather than Wood burner only) have started to produce excellant woodburner only and in the meduim sized contemporary market, they are probably better.

So I put the poll on to see if there was anything I was ignorant about, and I ve learnt a lot (mostly about Rosie O'Donnell, Dolly Parton and Dolly the sheep (she is a Scottish sheep (I m so proud....not)))
So, I know I ve put on 3 threads asking about this, I do appologise, but its a big purchase and we want to get the right thing.
If there is a prize, then I have to give it to Tickbitty for the best reply, but I find the other replies very entertaining, thanks.

Out of curiosity, what is the square footage of your home?

Go with the one with the largest firebox...

Sorry, Angus, just had to give you a hard time. ;-)

Seems like you are leaning toward the Morso and I am sure you won't be disappointed. The quality of their stoves is excellent and they put out a ton of heat for a small firebox. In fact, one of the deciding factors in us returning our Fireview was we get more heat out of our Morso than we did with the Fireview which has a firebox twice the size.

In all seriousness, I would expect your poll to be skewed towards #3 (as it is) but not for reasons helpful to you. Photos 1 and 2 have no context for the stoves, but #3 includes hearthpad, furniture, artwork, and a couple of glasses that may or may not contain Absolut. I think your poll results are going to reflect that. (I for one am subconsciously drawn to the fine artwork, not to the vodka potential of the glassware.)

I would need more than quick visuals to really have a solid preference. Your most recent post has me sold on the Morso for now. Any other pros and cons to consider, like venting options? I'm guessing that the Jotul with the soapstone option is quite pricy, but that would be nice.

Ive seen a Morso like that here in the US at a house I inspected. It looked good in the style of home they had but they had a 4500sf home and this was just for ambience and to heat the family room.

burntime said:
Go with the one with the largest firebox...
Hi Burntime,
I contacted Jotul and Morso about burn box size.
The manager at Morso is going to measure it and get back to me.
Jotul havent replied yet.

wendell said:
Sorry, Angus, just had to give you a hard time. ;-)

Seems like you are leaning toward the Morso and I am sure you won't be disappointed. The quality of their stoves is excellent and they put out a ton of heat for a small firebox. In fact, one of the deciding factors in us returning our Fireview was we get more heat out of our Morso than we did with the Fireview which has a firebox twice the size.
I agree with you Wendell.
I reckon they are just as good as each other, but there seems to be a better technical design to the Morso!?

The bottom one does look a bit like a bottle of Absolut! But... to me it also looks kinda like it snaps together like a rubbermaid shed or something. Those ridges in the side...

I think it looks more like R2D2.

I have to agree on all accounts. I like a lot about the Morso, except that it looks like someone forgot to put on the legs or bottom wood storage pedestal. I guess the 8142 is visually what I mean, but if that puts the rear vent too high, then I can understand getting the 8140. Other than that it appears to be a well constructed stove.

EatenByLimestone said:
It's just a contemporary look. Nothing wrong with it. That's why they make different stoves so everybody finds one they like.

As for Rosie, she's a very outspoken nut job.

Matt

Guns Kill People Like Spoons Make Rosie O'donnell Fat :lol:

OK LADS I have the 250 as you can see in my photo and it is the dogs bollocks, 9kw output and the large window gives you a free fireworks show every night, the secondary burn is like a gas pipe gone mad it spits out secondary burn flames like a jet engine...this is the baby to get and knocks the boring traditinal stoves back into the 70s....move with the times baby,,,this is the future,

Well, that settles that. No more Absolut jokes from me.

tickbitty said:
The bottom one does look a bit like a bottle of Absolut! But... to me it also looks kinda like it snaps together like a rubbermaid shed or something. Those ridges in the side...

The ridges you see on the side are a second skin the stove has on sides top and back..it makes the stove almost like a convection heater.

Neil said:
OK LADS I have the 250 as you can see in my photo and it is the dogs bollocks, 9kw output and the large window gives you a free fireworks show every night, the secondary burn is like a gas pipe gone mad it spits out secondary burn flames like a jet engine...this is the baby to get and knocks the boring traditinal stoves back into the 70s....move with the times baby,,,this is the future,

Thanks for that Neil, thats good information.
We ruled out the 274 and now look at the Morso and Jotul 250

I got an email back from Morso about the firebox size, which is quite respectable (in cm, sorry).
Jotul havent got back yet, maybe the guy is on holiday.

2cmp3pd.jpg

ivgxo3.jpg

Neil said:

I really like how they look. Give me a baker's dozen and I should be able to heat my home...

Neil said:

Love it! You should write their US advertising copy!

If those where MY only choices, and, aparently based on the 1st post, I had to choose or get whacked with an axe..

I would choose the second one, because it looks similar to one I saw here in the USA, but that one had soapstone sides....

I would then put it, in the box, in the basement, and just run the damn heat pump.

:cheese:

Dakota's Mom - I would move to the U.S. and get the Jøtul F 118 CB Black Bear

http://www.jotul.com/en-us/wwwjotulus/Main-menu/Products/Wood/Wood-stoves/Jotul-F-118-CB-Black-Bear/

AngusMac said:
Neil said:

Thanks for that Neil, thats good information.
We ruled out the 274 and now look at the Morso and Jotul 250

I got an email back from Morso about the firebox size, which is quite respectable (in cm, sorry).
Jotul havent got back yet, maybe the guy is on holiday.

That looks nowhere near as good quality as the 250 to be honest, the baffle is fibre instead of cast for a start.

That is a BIG Firebox

Como said:

That is a BIG Firebox

I can't tell if that is sarcasm.

Not sarcasm I think.

If the measurements were in cm it would be massive.

Como said:

That is a BIG Firebox
That is big, and I could get some decent sized logs in for burning overnight.

AngusMac said:
Como said:

That is a BIG Firebox
That is big, and I could get some decent sized logs in for burning overnight.

Looks pretty small to USA standards. That 345mm converts to 13.5 inches so your wood would have to be sized less than that. Looks like the fire box is a tad over 1cu ft. For a good overnight burn in a non cat i'd be looking for something closer to 2 cu ft.

BrotherBart said:
As with all stove purchases look at the maker's specs, your heating requirements, advice from hearth.com com and then go buy the one your wife likes.

++ on that. Some things are universal. Buy the one that the wife likes, it will be the focal point of whatever room that it is installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.