What would you buy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Which one do you like Meduim sized Contemporary Stoves from Jotul & Morso

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sen. John Blutarsky said:
BrotherBart said:
As with all stove purchases look at the maker's specs, your heating requirements, advice from hearth.com com and then go buy the one your wife likes.

++ on that. Some things are universal. Buy the one that the wife likes, it will be the focal point of whatever room that it is installed.
My wife wanted the Jotul 274. So we went to the stove supplier and I asked her to open and close the door and play with the air controls. She hated it, it was awkward and she had to bend down to reach, I also pointed out that the controls would confuse the hell out of my mother who is often at our house.
So she tried the Morso and found it far easier to use, although she prefers the look of the Jotul. She doesnt want the 250 because she says it looks like a spaceman's helmet
She wants the Morso.

Todd said:
AngusMac said:
Como said:
I got an email back from Morso about the firebox size, which is quite respectable (in cm, sorry).

That is a BIG Firebox
That is big, and I could get some decent sized logs in for burning overnight.

Looks pretty small to USA standards. That 345mm converts to 13.5 inches so your wood would have to be sized less than that. Looks like the fire box is a tad over 1cu ft. For a good overnight burn in a non cat i'd be looking for something closer to 2 cu ft.
It is big by European standards and due to the height, I could get a huge log in

AngusMac said:
She wants the Morso.

Smart wife!

The local Morso dealer has several of the larger versions of the stove you are looking at and the one they have burning they always have bigger wood that they have put in vertically on an angle so it won't fall forward. Makes for a very beautiful fire.

wendell said:
AngusMac said:
She wants the Morso.

Smart wife!

The local Morso dealer has several of the larger versions of the stove you are looking at and the one they have burning they always have bigger wood that they have put in vertically on an angle so it won't fall forward. Makes for a very beautiful fire.

You understand it too well Wendell and can see the fire use as I see it.

A month ago I was convinced of buying the Jotul 274, but now, its almost definite the Morso, for ease of use, double skin with a simple design that will work as a convector, larger burn chamber, and for us it is also plreasing on the eye.

Its interesting to see how differant the North American market is.

I still have a strong passion for Jotuls, we still have 2 in use and they are faultless, but Moros have a gap in the contemporary meduim sized stove market, and it seems to me that Morso have really excelled in wood burning over the past couple of years.

I'll buy the Morso. The best looking of the three. I happen to love the modern looking stoves. Just bought a Scan 60.

AngusMac said:
Sen. John Blutarsky said:
So she tried the Morso and found it far easier to use, although she prefers the look of the Jotul. She doesnt want the 250 because she says it looks like a spaceman's helmet
She wants the Morso.

I had the same thought as your wife.

Attachments

• spaceballs-part2.jpg
    spaceballs-part2.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 223
Gunks said:
I'll buy the Morso. The best looking of the three. I happen to love the modern looking stoves. Just bought a Scan 60.
Scan are now owned by Jotul.
Do you still have your Jotul (is it a N0.6 in the photo?)

Gunks said:

Congratulations. i love their stoves and want the A 10 but got such a good deal on the Morso I had to get it. But, It has turned out to be a great stove too but would've like the bigger firebox.

wendell said:
Gunks said:

Congratulations. i love their stoves and want the A 10 but got such a good deal on the Morso I had to get it. But, It has turned out to be a great stove too but would've like the bigger firebox.
Isnt the A10 the cast Iron model?
It look very simmilar to your Morso.

What kind of material do they line those fire boxes with?

AngusMac said:
Gunks said:
Scan are now owned by Jotul.
Do you still have your Jotul (is it a N0.6 in the photo?)

Yes. I still have the stove in the photo. It is a Jotual Combifire No. 1.

wendell said:
Gunks said:

I got a great deal on the Scan 60 -- $1300.

AngusMac said:

Yes and yes.

wendell said:
AngusMac said:

Yes and yes.
I read up about it last night and looked at the exploded diagrams, its a well made stove alright.
Hmmm.. wonder if I should include that in the shortlist?
I think it will be the Morso anyway.

AngusMac said:
wendell said:
Gunks said:

Hmm . . . when I think of the A-10 I think of something very different than a woodstove.

Attachments

• a10_2.jpg
    a10_2.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 172
AngusMac said:

Wasn't the reason you were looking for a new stove was the one you had put out too much heat? (Of course, after all these threads I could be confused.) If so, the Anderson 10 would cook you out. I can heat my 2700 sq ft home with my Morso until the temps get down into the 20's Fahrenheit.

wendell said:
AngusMac said:

Wasn't the reason you were looking for a new stove was the one you had put out too much heat? (Of course, after all these threads I could be confused.) If so, the Anderson 10 would cook you out. I can heat my 2700 sq ft home with my Morso until the temps get down into the 20's Fahrenheit.
No, think I ll drop the A10.
Your home must be very well insulated. What power does your Morso have?
The Bear we sold was supposed to be 24,000 BTUs, but was a lot more than that. The 602 is supposed to be 20500 BTUs, but cannot heat the 1000 sq ft area,
except in summer.

35,000 as I recall. Not great insulation but did put in new windows a few years back.

I should add a disclaimer that to do that, we had to run it harder than it was designed for. Now, with adding the Oslo, we will be able to run it a little easier.

wendell said:
35,000 as I recall. Not great insulation but did put in new windows a few years back.

I should add a disclaimer that to do that, we had to run it harder than it was designed for. Now, with adding the Oslo, we will be able to run it a little easier.
A Morso and a Jotul in your home, perfect!
It will be the same with us, but 2 Jotuls and a Morso

If you go back to your first thread I told you that in the very beginning!! ;-) :lol:

wendell said:
If you go back to your first thread I told you that in the very beginning!! ;-) :lol:
Yes, I do remember Wendell, but I thought you hadnt got the f500 by at that point !
I never knew your Morso could heat such a large area! Kind of makes me nervous if I m buying a 6kw stove, maybe too hot again !

Like I said before the 602 wasnt powerfull enough to heat in the winter months, and the f118 was just too powerful, they are supposed to be 6 and 7 kw, but more like 4 and 10 kw !?!

Yes, it is hard to know. I would say you certainly can just put in less wood at a time. If you look at the manual, I have been burning larger splits and much more in the firebox than what is recommended. Now, with the Oslo, I can follow the rules as all the Morso needs to do is heat the basement once it is cold enough to start running the Oslo.

Status
Not open for further replies.