Whats the hottest temp you have measured your wall at?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I've found that most manufacturers quote 117 degrees (F) above the ambient temperature for clearance testing. I've always been told that 185 + degrees is the tipping into the danger zone...

I've heard this same thing, most recently from Jotul (last week); that 117 degrees (F) above ambient is used for clearance testing.

I plan on replacing my flush insert with the Progress Hybrid next year. Can you offer your first impressions on heat output, burn times and general impressions.

Sorry, don't mean to derail the conversation.

My T5 is at minimum clearances to drywall (3" from back corners) which made me nervous for a bit now I've just gotten use to it and haven't seen any evidence of damage. The walls get hot but not too hot to touch, never measured with an IR though. I would like to assume the clearances have to be pretty strict during testing, taking pyrolosis into consideration unless any of these manufacturers/installers would want to deal with the lawsuits I'm sure would be brought on by damaged caused just due to clearance issues.

I plan on replacing my flush insert with the Progress Hybrid next year. Can you offer your first impressions on heat output, burn times and general impressions.

Sorry, don't mean to derail the conversation.

I updated my signature to include a link to my specific setup. I'll add some comments now that I've done some burning in the stove.

My walls were getting too hot in my opinion a couple years back, (can't remember the reading I think it might have been in the 170's) and I installed additional heat shields on the side of my stove. Now that wall gets up to like 145 max, which I'm much more comfortable with.

I've heard this same thing, most recently from Jotul (last week); that 117 degrees (F) above ambient is used for clearance testing.
70º ambient + 117º equals 187º. That's too hot. Also, ambient temp varies. Some people keep their house at 80-85F ambient all winter long. Add 117 and you get 197 to 202º. A wall that is >180F is too hot. Here is a shot of pyrolysis caused by hot water pipes passing through a floor. That is 180-190º water.
Screen Shot 2018-10-10 at 10.56.35 AM.png

70º ambient + 117º equals 187º. That's too hot. Also, ambient temp varies. Some people keep their house at 80-85F ambient all winter long. Add 117 and you get 197 to 202º. A wall that is >180F is too hot. Here is a shot of pyrolysis caused by hot water pipes passing through a floor. That is 180-190º water.
View attachment 230598

I hear you. This is what I was told by my dealer after he spoke with a technician at Jotul last week.

How close was your IR Laser from the surface? The further back from surface the wider your reading zone is you could have better getting some additional ° 's from the pipe or something else.

This is just for a reference on what I mean, by no means are these specs exactly what your brand/model of Laser is...

upload_2018-10-10_13-35-8.png

Yeah I was trying to see if there is any sheet metal artwork that would look good behind the stove. The other option is to stick a pipe shield on there like you would for a single wall pipe.

I might run it hard and monitor a few more times before deciding on anything. Its probably been run this hot and long 3 or 4 times now with no problems to the wall yet. I've read about the drywall degrading but its such a small area I'm not too concerned about that. Directly behind the stove was in the 140 to 150 range which felt hot but not worryingly so in my uneducated opinion.
sawblades__element26.jpg