Where is my catalytic combustor?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cat?

• no

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • yes

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kosmonauts

Jan 15, 2016
Pennsylvania
Hey,

Have a vermont castings intrepid 2 model 1308 (half glass doors), and i know that it is a cat stove but I have no idea where the cat is and don't really know how it works. Just purchased this stove and cleaned it and replaced all the gaskets and made it air tight, however, I am unsure of the cat operation. Any help would be greatly appreciated as always. Thanks guys.

Check your manual for location, maintenance and correct operation. Cats are expensive to replace, be sure to get it right.

bob

Reactions: Kosmonauts
You can probably find the Manual online, you might need some other parts that house the cat.

There should be an access plate on the back of the stove that gives you access to the cat. It'll take a #3 Phillips screwdriver to get at it. If the chimney leaked, the screws are the first thing to seize up, good luck.

Whoa, hold up. Hate to be disagreeable, but in fact it was the 1303 that had rear cat. access, the 1308 is the kind where ya have to go at it from the firebox. The '08 even has the rear panel but you'll be disappointed and confused when you remove it and there's nothing helpful in there.

So there are the wierd clamp thingys that hold the upper fireback and throat hood that have a lock nut on the back of the stove, then the bolt you loosen on the inside that allows them to rotate to a vertical position. Then you can take out the fireback, and voila there's the cat . cover and of course, the catalyst nestled right in there behind it. Manual has pic.s that help.

I would spray liberally with your lubricant of choice. Webby's right, when things are siezed up it really takes ALL the fun out of it.

I guess I was incorrect. I thought the half glass models had rear access to the cat?

Status
Not open for further replies.