Why we elevate our wood...or should.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skyline

Burning Hunk
Oct 29, 2009
Oregon
Our first day without rain for a while and I thought these pictures show clearly how the wood touching the ground, even if its asphalt, (which is why I didn't bother putting down sleepers) doesn't dry. Every inch above the ground helps the wood dry a little better.

Attachments

• DSC_9020.jpg
    DSC_9020.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 239
  • DSC_9021.jpg
    DSC_9021.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 254
  • DSC_9022.jpg
    DSC_9022.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 230
Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Ja, at one time I used to lay down stringers and a first course of junk Poplar as sacrificial wood and put my good wood on top of that. Then I switched to using pallets.

Yeppers, thats why we use pallets. And those pallets go bad rather quickly, but the wood on top of those pallets dries out nicely. Good post, Skyline...

That is why I also use pallets. This year I found a guy selling plastic pallets for $5 so I bought 10 of them. He ended up giving me 14 because a couple had some cracks. Time will tell if it was worth it. I stacked oak on 6 of them 5 feet high and they seem to fine so far.

Skyline,
Great photos that speak for themselves. Also the reason why I took the advise from Hearth menbers and keep the wood off the ground!
Tim

Attachments

• DSCF2911.JPG
    DSCF2911.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 179
those pallets go bad rather quickly
I stacked the last few cords on pallets with bricks under the 2x4s. Those pallets should be there a long time. I'm also experimenting with landscape timbers supported by concrete half-blocks laid on their sides.

It has been said here that the air is more moist closer to the ground. That leaves another reason to lift the stacks, but we don't know how high they need to be. Sort of explains why the upper splits are dryer than the lower splits. Ours are 3" above grade and I wonder if that's high enough.

Woody,
Same here. If you can get the pallets and bricks or something else for cheap, why not? Some of my stacks are on downhill ground so I figure when it rains, let the water run right on through.
Tim

It has been said here that the air is more moist closer to the ground. That leaves another reason to lift the stacks, but we don't know how high they need to be. Sort of explains why the upper splits are dryer than the lower splits. Ours are 3" above grade and I wonder if that's high enough.

Gark,

Yes the humidity is definitely higher closer to the ground. All 3 factors, source of moisture, lower temps, and less air movement contribute. Pallets are good but pallets and a vapor barrier is even better, especially in a wood shed. The ground is an endless supply of moisture. I won't be so lazy next time, even on asphalt.

Good post skyline.

Gark, we typically stack 3" above ground and sometimes less and have no problems. However, if I lived on clay ground I'd stack higher, but we live on yellow sand and you won't find much standing water here. Water goes through sand like a sieve. When in doubt, go a couple inches higher.

I am going to start redoing my wood stacks this summer once the snow melts and everything dries up. The ground is not level so it's a pain to shim everything or stack at an angle. Gonna make a "bed" for the pallets with gravel or maybe crushed rock.

I am going to start redoing my wood stacks this summer once the snow melts and everything dries up. The ground is not level so it's a pain to shim everything or stack at an angle. Gonna make a "bed" for the pallets with gravel or maybe crushed rock.

I have that problem too, not sure if its as bad as your land but I use bricks to level the pallets and sort of tie the pallets together to make them more stable.
You can see on this part of my rack

IMG_4931.jpg

Reactions: Dune
I have that problem too, not sure if its as bad as your land but I use bricks to level the pallets and sort of tie the pallets together to make them more stable.

IMG_4931.jpg
I like it! Stack it, dry it, burn it and you are a happy camper. Good set up Weatherguy.
Tim

Yeah pretty much same as what you have. I'm going to also cut some pallets up to make my rows 6ft wide instead of 4. Right now I have to hang the first and last rows off the ends to allow for some space on teh middle row.

IMG_4931.jpg

I've bought close to 150 pallets so far.

It takes 3 pallets and a 8 foot 2x3 to make a U that I use.

So 9 pallets per cord. I found a nice old couple that deliver me 30 at a time for 2 bucks each.

Handling the wood fewer times is priceless. It goes right on the U from the spiltter. Next time I touch it will be to put it in the Vigas.

JP

In my driveway, I've been using 1" by 4 foot runners under my wood, because my driveway is only a temporary holding area for a few months, until I get time to put it in the wood shed. Even one inch off the driveway, it really helps with drying. Water does not pool at all under splits.

I've started usng pallets too after seeing some of the setups on here and reading about how it helps with drying. I first started stacking wood on some railroad tie...anybody else try those? I liked them b/c they're heavy and felt stable. I disliked them b/c they are so heavy its not practicle to move them it you wanted to clean up/reorganize the woodlot. I've wondered about "bad chemicals" from the railroad ties seeping into the firewood - anyone heard of this? I've not seen the wood looking discolored but as I just installed a new insert and liner, I wouldn't want it gooked-up with chemicals.

I'd love to get my hand on some old railway ties to lay on the ground to elevate the pallets. My dad used ties butted tight together to make the floor in his woodshed. He had a railroad cross his land and the workers would drop off more ties than he could ever use in a lifetime.

I put plastic under my pallets because I had some(a lot) from a 100' slip-n-slide we made a couple years ago. I was thinking it would help keep the grass and weeds from growing up and through but now think it will also help preserve the pallets a little longer. I have unlimited access to them but changing out rotted pallets every season or two does not sound like much fun. Time will tell if my experiment helps with weeds or pallet longevity but I have lots of that so we will see.

Reactions: Dune
This is why I stack it up off the ground. This is after the second back to back 4" rainfalls from overnight t-storms late last summer. The bottom two rows of splits were in water.

Attachments

• IMG_20110729_081513.jpg
    IMG_20110729_081513.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 155
My Ash----Oak and B L--Ground it and it will rot.SDC10430.JPGSDC10431.JPGSDC10432.JPG

Reactions: savageactor7
In my woodshed I put down a 2" layer of 2"-3" crushed limestone rock on top of sand and the wood stays bone dry.

Pat

Like they said in the olden days. Got to keep your powder dry boys! Tough when you have low ground. Hopefully things will dry out for you during the summer months.

Status
Not open for further replies.