Winter time wood transport

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Still using the Mexican dump truck (wheelbarrow). I usually bring in a cord and a half at a clip. I have a root cellar where I store this which is ten feet from the stove, just out the back door. We get the snow here, nothing like VT. Last year I keep a route shoveled to the wood pile, about 25 yards. The down fall was late winter early spring when things begin to thaw, MUD! So I was tring to time it with the cold mornings so the ground is still firm.

KC

I access my 4 cord from my kitchen door, goes into a enclosed patio..yeah, I wear my slippers :)

Skier76 said:
moosetrek said:
Skier76, What's the price on that deal with the brackets? I have an idea for a homemade one but need to know if it's worth the $ for the materials... If so, I'll post separately if it works...

About $20 for each set of brackets. One set of 4 brackets allows you to make one wood holder. Plus the cost of the 2x4's, but that's really not that bad.

Menard's has the full set for $10 if you have one near.

Adirondackwoodburner said:
I access my 4 cord from my kitchen door, goes into a enclosed patio..yeah, I wear my slippers :)
Ja, and we have pics to prove it.

Attachments

• Adirondackwoodburner.jpg
    Adirondackwoodburner.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 243
remember the plastic sleds when we were a kid?.... works like a charm

Adirondackwoodburner said:

Glad I got my stack (which is as deep as the garage 30') next to the house.

Attachments

• 800x400PIC_0788.JPG
    800x400PIC_0788.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 253
How about one of these?

Attachments

• PulpwoodSleigh.jpg
    PulpwoodSleigh.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 292
I have a big pile of wood right next to the boiler shed for when the snow sets in and I use one of those 4 wheeled pull garden cart other wise I use the 4 wheeler and a bigger cart to bring wood to the shed

Attachments

• 4 wheeler with 4wheel trailer.jpg
    4 wheeler with 4wheel trailer.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 272
I'm in the process of copying my father-in-laws design of a wood sled. Its 2- 3/4" ply wood sides appx 2' x4', with a 2' radius on on end, a 2' x 2' wooden flat back, then heavy gage sheet metal on the bottom. (steel roofing, galv ducting, ect.). This is screwed on with Sheet Metal Screws. A heavy duty eye bolt on the front for pulling w/ the tractor. There will also be 2" holes in the sides to put a rope threw to pull by hand. I am copying it because I'm now heating with wood and Ive helped him haul the wood for his house in this simple sled for years and it work great. I also works great to put your logging tools in and hook up to the back of the 3 pt hitch with the work bar on. The eye bolt goes into the top link and the rest sits on the work bar. Such a super simple design but it works great. Ill try to snap a photo and post if I can. Last year my 9 yr old was pulling the thing thru the snow with relative ease. If you really load it up you can get quite a bit of wood in it and it slides easily in the snow.

crazy_dan said:
I use a garden cart rated at 1,000lbs and I am legally obligated to state that it works great.
one of these and this is where the wife bought it http://www.tractorsupply.com/lawn-g...gorilla-carts-heavy-duty-utility-cart-3599202

I have a similar cart in red, I think it's the same otherwise... works well, but I found it has some limitations...

1. If putting a lot of weight in it (like a big round), you need to reinforce the bed or it will flex and bend. The construction is very light, the only way you'd get 1,000lbs on it w/o reinforcement is if it was something very distributed like fertilizer sacks...

2. I did manage to break the front steering suspension on it going over some rough ground. (However after a fair bit of phoning around I was able to get a replacement at no cost...)

3. It tows forwards nicely when hooked to the lawn tractor, but can't readily be backed up - Essentially I found that you have to unhook, push the trailer into location by hand, then back the tractor up and reconnect.

Still, I'm glad I bought it, and I do use it a lot.

Gooserider

Thrash44047 said:
I'm in the process of copying my father-in-laws design of a wood sled. Its 2- 3/4" ply wood sides appx 2' x4', with a 2' radius on on end, a 2' x 2' wooden flat back, then heavy gage sheet metal on the bottom. (steel roofing, galv ducting, ect.). This is screwed on with Sheet Metal Screws. A heavy duty eye bolt on the front for pulling w/ the tractor. There will also be 2" holes in the sides to put a rope threw to pull by hand. I am copying it because I'm now heating with wood and Ive helped him haul the wood for his house in this simple sled for years and it work great. I also works great to put your logging tools in and hook up to the back of the 3 pt hitch with the work bar on. The eye bolt goes into the top link and the rest sits on the work bar. Such a super simple design but it works great. Ill try to snap a photo and post if I can. Last year my 9 yr old was pulling the thing thru the snow with relative ease. If you really load it up you can get quite a bit of wood in it and it slides easily in the snow.

Like to see pics of this!!

Status
Not open for further replies.