Wood won't season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Thanks for the suggestions. Can you post a pic of your tarp set up? I can probably tuck the sides up and under the top but would be interested in seeing your setup.
To make the flair on the sides, I put long sticks or boards leaning against the stack on both sides, under the overhang, at intervals along the stack. For the pitch, long sticks or boards, laid perpendicular, on the top row . Boards like 2x4s are my preference, but I'll use whatever I can find.

Keep the tarps off green wood for at least 2 summers. (Period...even ash...pine....poplar) Tarp what you think you're going to burn that winter at the end of summer.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Stuff tends to dry better when you keep water off of it. Yes wood will dry eventually if left uncovered. But dries much faster when top covered. And whole lot faster when completely wrapped in the sun with vents top and bottom. There really is nothing to be gained by leaving it uncovered

A few things....i do not search out 20-30" oak if im looking for standing dead....im looking for basically barkless, limbless telephone pole trees....maple, ash, beech and hickory (maple being fastest....ash the slowest)...so if i whack that 8" trunk round in half....its good to go in 2 months. 30% moisture or 50%....doesnt matter.....water evaporates much more quickly from standing dead or even from a 4 year weathered stack of oak.....think of standing dead (8-10" dia. trees) as a sponge at 30% moisture and freshly split green cordwood as a potato at 30%.....guess which one drys faster out in the summer sun....obviously the sponge......my clean glass, clean liner i clean once every 2 years and 35 years of processing cordwood is my "go... no go..." for picking out my weathered wood for the winter......i do have a meter and only use it on the rare red oak i come across....but even now I know not to touch it for 3 summers.....4 being better.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
So not anything cut dead like you originally stated. Just the small barkless trees you pick to cut.

Thanks for the suggestions. Can you post a pic of your tarp set up? I can probably tuck the sides up and under the top but would be interested in seeing your setup.
Here's your picture. Not my best example, but I think you'll get the idea of flairing out the sides using sticks/boards under the tarp, and it's the most convenient for me this morning!

IMG_20200104_115928421.jpg

Here's your picture. Not my best example, but I think you'll get the idea of flairing out the sides using sticks/boards under the tarp, and it's the most convenient for me this morning!

View attachment 254686
How long does the fencing material last when used in this manner? I really like your improvised IBC tote.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Reactions: SpaceBus
How long does the fencing material last when used in this manner? I really like your improvised IBC tote.
Zero deterioration in 6 years. I suspect they will last much longer than I will. I keep the top covers on year round.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Nice. How are you holding the fence ends together and to the pallet?
Check out the end of this parallel thread:

I drove four nails into the skid, placement was determined with the empty cage, four corners.

Moisture meter reading 25% still. Wood hisses and spits in the stove. What gives?
I had a Red Oak stack crash that I didn't pick up for a couple months, so it got rained on quite a bit. Even before it crashed, the stack was leaning; The ends got rained on and water could run in between the two stack rows. It's been out there three years though, so the interior wood definitely got dry.
Yes, some splits will sizzle a bit at first when loaded on hot coals and lit. I'm thinking that's mostly water that has soaked in the ends a little bit, because it seems to be driven off relatively quickly. And there are no coals left at the end of the load like you see when the wood isn't dry in the center, even when I run my cat stove very low.

I would also try to not have any tarp hanging down the sides at all.
You are trapping moisture by covering part of the sides like that right away. Water condenses under that tarp everyday and drips onto the wood. I never cover until it has had a full summer in the sun...
The tarps are only held by the end grommets, so there is wind flow under them as I have to occasionally pull the middle part back over the stacks when they get blown off.
Here's your picture. Not my best example, but I think you'll get the idea of flairing out the sides using sticks/boards under the tarp,
I was thinking maybe you can find a bunch of crooked sticks that you could slip into the sides of the stacks, a couple of layers down from the top, sticking out to the sides to hold the tarp out away from the wood. It would allow air underneath the top, and also make a better roof for the bottom part of the stacks. Or run a rope through the grommets on the sides, the full length of the stacks. Then sink a tee post at each end to tie the rope to, and make a "roof" that way..

No, I don't think they are too big and the hissing is not confined to large pieces. Some of the small ones hiss too.
Again, depending on how quickly the moisture burns off, they could be dry inside. 25% on a tested piece isn't good, though.
If it's stacked under canopy in the woods IDK either.....hopefully you have some space in your rows......i do single rows with 5 foot of space....i stack E/W this way theres never a shadow on my stacks late Spring thru Fall.
I don't have space between rows; This Ash stack at my SIL's is three rows together on pallets, with Sassafras sleepers, and bricks/blocks supporting the center of the pallets. It's under trees, but it's close to the edge of her yard where the prevailing wind can hit the stack pretty good. Stack is running pretty much perpendicular to the prevailing wind. I'll cover with the metal roofing I scored recently. This is the dead-stander that was clocking 30%+ in the trunk..
20191014_075350.jpg

Last edited:
Or run a rope through the grommets on the sides, the full length of the stacks. Then sink a tee post at each end to tie the rope to, and make a "roof" that way.
Or baling wire.

I was just about ready to start in about "baling wire" - darned if they don't still make it, and lots of it.
That's what I call it, but I just go to the builders box store and get a spool of "annealed wire." It's a go-to in Jerry-rigging utility, right up there with duct tape and hanger strap. ==c
1578532138925.png 1578532255089.png