Woodstock's new stove; some updates

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
Here are a couple links folks might want to check out:

http://blog.woodstove.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Woodstock-Soapstone-Co/123135437743584

Just a little more information on the new wood stove that is being developed right now. Here are a couple pictures. One shows some of the ideas for the stove and the other is a picture of the door leading into the Woodstock showroom.

Steal stove x2.jpg Woodstocks Front Door.jpg

The graph below is from the BBB and really shows Woodstock way out in front in the customer service area. They have well earned this rating as most folks on hearth.com already know: http://forgreenheat.blogspot.com/2013/07/better-business-bureau-and-wood-stove.html

BBB graph.jpg

I'll post a bit more later, hopefully but this will get the threat started. I will say though that the design of the stove is still somewhat in the works because they have not yet found a model to say in that stove to get his or her picture taken like the model above. ;)

Is this a threat of yet another Union plug?

Reactions: Woody Stover
No threats involved but would like to let folks know where they can find some more good reading. And to let others know that there is still much work to be done in a very short time frame.

No doubt some will ask about a release date but that has yet to be determined so hopefully folks won't get too upset but know this will be released as soon as it is ready.

This is the new Union Hybrid that has been entered in the Popular Science contest.

The most interesting thing about Woodstock's new post is that it seems as if this is going to be a very inexpensive stove with very high quality engineering. They are maximizing the use of steel, while still using cast iron and soapstone, to keep cost well below usual Woodstock prices. It will be interesting to see what we are actually talking....$1000, $1500, $2000, $2500? It is bigger than the PH, which lists over $3500. This is a very large stove that will produce enough heat to heat almost any home. Will it be versatile enough to be used in any size home? Perhaps. I'm thinking if this is as exciting a stove as it sounds that it may be, then Woodstock sales will go way up, as I don't think they will lose the market they have for the current stoves. How will they handle the demand of significantly increased production? Their PH is already outselling the Fireview, so there was definitely a significant demand for larger stoves.

Please don't be anonymous! We're looking for a few more beta testers for Sept-Nov., so if you live in a cold climate (ideally within a few hours drive from us), feel free to contact me.

Lorin
[email protected]
Customer Service Manager
Woodstock Soapstone Co.

Anyone in on this?

I'll post a bit more later, hopefully but this will get the threat started. I will say though that the design of the stove is still somewhat in the works because they have not yet found a model to say in that stove to get his or her picture taken like the model above. ;)

Thanks for the update Dennis.

I just sent Lorin an email. I hope to be considered for the Beta testing.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
This is a very large stove that will produce enough heat to heat almost any home. Will it be versatile enough to be used in any size home? Perhaps. I'm thinking if this is as exciting a stove as it sounds that it may be, then Woodstock sales will go way up, as I don't think they will lose the market they have for the current stoves. How will they handle the demand of significantly increased production? Their PH is already outselling the Fireview, so there was definitely a significant demand for larger stoves.

Lorin at Woodstock just said the firebox on this stove is actually larger than the one on the Progress (and they are considering a cook top for this stove too, similar to the Progress). And apparently they have a new water jet cutter (?) for manufacturing the new stove, according to Penny, who gave us the tour when we visited August 8th. So they do seem to be gearing up to ramp up in house production capacity.

I am now, I already got a call back from Lorin, just a half hour after sending an email :)

That's awesome Brian ! Excited for ya ! Will be fishin for feedback info from ya.......burn times etc.... and all that good stuff...heh :)

Reactions: BrianK
The firebox will be larger than the Progress.

Reactions: BrianK
The firebox will be larger than the Progress.

According to their website, with its 2.8 cu ft firebox,

Of all today’s woodstoves, the Progress Hybrid achieves the highest BTU output during EPA testing - 73,171 BTUs/hr. Perfect for large, or older drafty homes. See for yourself on the EPA’s website. Some stove manufacturers exaggerate heat outputs; EPA reporting is the bottom line. Heats up to 2200 square feet.

So if the Union Hybrid firebox is even bigger, wonder how many BTUs it will crank out compared to the Progress? And I assume burn times will be as good as or better than the Progress too.

The most interesting thing about Woodstock's new post is that it seems as if this is going to be a very inexpensive stove with very high quality engineering. They are maximizing the use of steel, while still using cast iron and soapstone, to keep cost well below usual Woodstock prices. It will be interesting to see what we are actually talking....$1000, $1500, $2000, $2500? It is bigger than the PH, which lists over $3500. This is a very large stove that will produce enough heat to heat almost any home. Will it be versatile enough to be used in any size home? Perhaps. I'm thinking if this is as exciting a stove as it sounds that it may be, then Woodstock sales will go way up, as I don't think they will lose the market they have for the current stoves. How will they handle the demand of significantly increased production? Their PH is already outselling the Fireview, so there was definitely a significant demand for larger stoves.
Takes a lot of firepower to heat a Mcmansion. Also, the looks of the Fireview don't fit in with the decor in many homes.

Takes a lot of firepower to heat a Mcmansion. Also, the looks of the Fireview don't fit in with the decor in many homes.
I personally think the Fireview is a great looking stove with 'old world charm'. However, in those cases where it might not fit in with the decor of the home, the Progress Hybrid will most likely fill the bill. I would guess that the new stove Woodstock is working on will be designed to appeal to the broadest audience possible. And probably provide even more heat than the Progress Hybrid. At least I hope that is the intention.

According to my wife, no soapstone stove fits our decor, otherwise there would have been a Mansfield in place of the T6. Not that I'm complaining. The compromise was a good one.

According to my wife, no soapstone stove fits our decor, otherwise there would have been a Mansfield in place of the T6. Not that I'm complaining. The compromise was a good one.
Never question the 'lady of the house' when it comes to decor !

And that is why there are other choices in the Woodstock line. We recall that Todd sold his Fireview and bought a Keystone and others have done similar. I doubt there could be any one stove that would fit for everyone. That is not a bad thing and it is good that we have choices.

A bit more on the design of the Union Hybrid stove. For more information you might want to check this link: http://blog.woodstove.com/2013/08/under-hood.html

Screen-Shot-3.png

The more I see, the more I like. Note too that this time they are posting the 3.2 cu ft firebox.

Stove is lined with soapstone walls and fire brick on the floor bottom. Thats impressive. Soap Stone stores alot of heat. I guess since its a steel stove they still wanted that warm smooth heat over a longer period feel so they lined it with SoapStone. I also like the idea of placement of the cat to radiate the heat out the front and top better. With A 3.2 CU FT firebox and electronic control the burn time is gonna be good.

Here is the big question, is the control system based on a 12 volt supply so you can have battery backup if needed? Or does it have a mode it can be burned in manual mode. I suspect it has manual controls to set if the power goes out.

I am saving my money up for one. ;)

Does it look like the rear flue exit guys will have to make smoke go downhill to leave the stove? That could be a bummer when opening the loading door.

Status
Not open for further replies.