Woodstove use and cancer risk

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
You are right. BBQing is much more dangerous. Not just the cooking but eating it as well. Inhaling the ashes is probably the biggest health concern of using a wood stoves.

One fire pit out side and cooking some hot dogs over it, I am sure I am exposed to 100 times more smoke then the wood stove in my house including loading it exposes me to.

I might spend 4 hours per year, cooking over open fire, but I spend 3000 hours per year in a house with a woodstove running. So, I really hope the difference in smoke levels is way beyond 100 to 1, or I’m really screwed.

I have a particle counter air quality meter that reads PM1.0/2.5/10. Indoor air usually hovers around 1-3 ug/m3 PM2.5 with the windows closed. Reloading the stove sometimes raise it by 1, and usually goes back down soon after. On the other hand, pan frying something on the stove raises it to 20-40 until I run a window fan to exhaust. Note I have a useless recirculating range hood, but just a point to compare. I never have a smoke odor indoors. I’m not overly concerned about indoor air quality from my sealed, air tight wood stove.

Reactions: Ashful and begreen
I have a particle counter air quality meter that reads PM1.0/2.5/10. Indoor air usually hovers around 1-3 ug/m3 PM2.5 with the windows closed. Reloading the stove sometimes raise it by 1, and usually goes back down soon after. On the other hand, pan frying something on the stove raises it to 20-40 until I run a window fan to exhaust. Note I have a useless recirculating range hood, but just a point to compare. I never have a smoke odor indoors. I’m not overly concerned about indoor air quality from my sealed, air tight wood stove.
What's it read when the "dog" passes gas?