Work Done 2023

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
You got a video of that splitter running?
Yes but not sure how to post it on here .... I gotta see if Flickr has a video upload post format deal that'll work. I'll try tomorrow.

I've used lots of splitters over the years and this is the best yet. Being in the mini is super handy. The concept of a skid loader splitter with none of the spinning and digging. Simply amazing.

Yes but not sure how to post it on here .... I gotta see if Flickr has a video upload post format deal that'll work. I'll try tomorrow.

I've used lots of splitters over the years and this is the best yet. Being in the mini is super handy. The concept of a skid loader splitter with none of the spinning and digging. Simply amazing.
I imagine. I can run the tracks off a mini. I bet it’s sweet if you get staged right. Can you rough split, then do the second or third split swinging over a dump trailer?

I imagine. I can run the tracks off a mini. I bet it’s sweet if you get staged right. Can you rough split, then do the second or third split swinging over a dump trailer?
Don't run the tracks off!! Lol

Yes. My intent was to split a few chunks and make sure everything worked and I ended up splitting more than I expected lol. Pops has my dump trailer or it'd have been here so I could drop them into it.

There is a decent video of it in action on their website.

Today was a good day for trail work around the house, I took four loads of branches over to the outdoor fireplace along with some dead pine rounds.

I had a nice fire with most everything reduced to ashes. Picture 3997 is what I started with, 4001 is one of the loads, 4002 are some dead pines that I'll remove another day and 4007 is after I finished.

We received 0.3543307 of rain overnight or 9mm.

Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023

Work Done 2023Work Done 2023Work Done 2023Work Done 2023Work Done 2023Work Done 2023Work Done 2023Work Done 2023Work Done 2023
The first 4 pics were from a few weeks ago I was able to move everything I had up by the house down to the stacking area. Most of it was rounds that needed split. This past weekend I spent about 4-5 hours on Saturday and Sunday getting it all split and even splitting up a few bigger stacks of older oak I had that needed done. There are a few rounds still in some stacks but just about everything I have cut and stacked is split nice and small and ready for the next few years. Colder temps are starting to show up we have had some nights in the 40's. I also had the oil tank filled for winter 68.3 gallons is all we used last winter so I can't complain to much about that.

View attachment 315379View attachment 315380View attachment 315381View attachment 315382View attachment 315383View attachment 315384View attachment 315385View attachment 315386View attachment 315387
The first 4 pics were from a few weeks ago I was able to move everything I had up by the house down to the stacking area. Most of it was rounds that needed split. This past weekend I spent about 4-5 hours on Saturday and Sunday getting it all split and even splitting up a few bigger stacks of older oak I had that needed done. There are a few rounds still in some stacks but just about everything I have cut and stacked is split nice and small and ready for the next few years. Colder temps are starting to show up we have had some nights in the 40's. I also had the oil tank filled for winter 68.3 gallons is all we used last winter so I can't complain to much about that.
Nice work @heavy hammer , so it's your fault we're getting the cooler temps here in the east. We had a low this morning of 48.

Reactions: heavy hammer
With the help of the 4540 with the pallet forks, I opened up two new trails on the house property, I'll see how open the wood dump is at the town dump and take some of the dead pine branches there.

The green leaves you see in the picture are from a small damaged ash, picture 4012, picture 4014 is after I took the weed eater to the trail.

104_4009.JPG 104_4010.JPG 104_4011.JPG 104_4012.JPG 104_4014.JPG

Pops and I got the shop lean-to prepped for tin yesterday.
Work Done 2023

Little Mr. Supervisor wanted to help so we put him to work !!
Work Done 2023

I've been saving leftover 2x4x16's for a few years from various other projects and finally had enough to do the wall. Almost all of them were twisted and warped somehow so we needed to get creative to get them straight enough to nail on 🤣
Work Done 2023

Pops and I got the shop lean-to prepped for tin yesterday.
View attachment 315430

Little Mr. Supervisor wanted to help so we put him to work !!
View attachment 315431

I've been saving leftover 2x4x16's for a few years from various other projects and finally had enough to do the wall. Almost all of them were twisted and warped somehow so we needed to get creative to get them straight enough to nail on 🤣
View attachment 315432
Very nice job.

Reactions: jblnut
This popple was broke off some at the base and hung up in a white pine over an old trail so today the wife was on the rhino keeping the cable tight, we put a tree saver strap around it, hooked the cable up to the tree saver & d-shackle and then the rhino.

I just wanted to make sure it didn't come back on the side I was cutting on, the wife did a great job. The first cut was made and the tree went straight down in the dirt, I position the tree saver strap up higher and then made a second cut, it dropped just like the first one did.

That was all the help I needed from the wife. I pulled the tree out in an open area with the 4540 and then used the forks for lifting it off the ground. All the rounds were moved to the area I'll split in, the wood will go for the outside fireplace since it isn't that great.

We have a basswood we'll be doing, I might just use the tractor since the base is pretty rotten, it should pull it off the stump pretty easy. The last two pictures are the basswood we'll do, it's on a trail the wife always walked until we received 3.25 inches of rain in one night this summer and it finally broke off but hung up in a yellow birch.

Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023

I've been giving my little MS250 a hot lunch with all these big chunks. I used the 041 and 24" bar a bit but it doesn't care to pull that much chain through anything other than the elm and boxelder. It works great to cut stuff off the ground as I don't have to bend over as much !! I really need to get an 044 or 066. It'd take a lot of abuse off my little MS250 !!
Work Done 2023

This is the second time all the pictures I took won't show up on the card from the camera. The hung up basswood came down today with a few cuts where it was broke off, we used the rhino with a tree saver strap, d-shackle and cable, the boss was in the rhino and did a great job.

I bucked up the biggest parts of the tree in the newer splitting area I cleared about three years ago after bringing the logs over with the tractor with the forks. The popple & basswood rounds were split and then brought over to the outside fireplace.

Reactions: heavy hammer
I ended up taking some pictures when I took the dog for a walk.

Picture 0828 is the newer splitting area I cleared about three years ago, 0829 is looking down the gully where the basswood was, 0830 is the basswood stump after I cut it flat, 0831 & 832 are what's left of the top on the small ridge and 0833 is all the wood covered for the night waiting for a nice raining day so I can burn it in the outside fireplace.

Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023

I finally put the fan on the back of the wood stove after we put in a small load of shoulder season wood.

Harvest 2023 has begun for us !! We started on soybeans today and got 30ish acres taken off before dark when they started getting tough. They're 11.8% moisture and a little dryer than the 13.5-14 I like them but oh well. More tomorrow ..... And the next day .... And the next week after that hopefully !
Work Done 2023

Harvest 2023 has begun for us !! We started on soybeans today and got 30ish acres taken off before dark when they started getting tough. They're 11.8% moisture and a little dryer than the 13.5-14 I like them but oh well. More tomorrow ..... And the next day .... And the next week after that hopefully !
That looks like it could just down the road from me...where is this?

Reactions: jblnut
I split four loads of pine today (three pictured) since we're out of stacking room for shoulder season wood, todays loads were dumped in a certain area and then we'll cover it.

Once we burn four face cord of pine this year, I'll stack whatever we have ready in that area, we have two areas that hold six face cord each.

Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023

Dept of transportation is clearing some trees right alongside our property. They started today so when the wife got home she got permission to take the wood/gave them permission to just stack it on our property if they want. The crew lead is a fellow woodburner so he was more than happy to comply.
Got home, changed, and straight into some much needed chainsaw therapy. Will post pics when I get a chance to take them, wanted to take advantage of every bit of sunlight left in the day but so long as we get everything done it'll be enough maple, walnut, and osage orange to last us for a winter or two.

I filled the garage up with firewood and have the basement stove pipe cleaned and new paint on it. The temps have not been to bad but we are getting closer to cooler temps. I figured better to be ready. Probably about a month till we start burning.

Reactions: Gearhead660
One of My summer projects was adding a log lift to my ariens 27 ton splitter. On Thursday I tried it out for the first time and it was successful. The large log is 17” length by 24” across red oak. If anything, I need a inline flow limiter as the lift moves very quick when the hydraulic pump hits its 2nd stage on the big heavies.

65D74DCE-2230-4AC9-BEDB-F66793E3D9F2.jpeg DF66967B-8736-47B3-91C6-8E701AED146B.jpeg 26C69136-1975-4667-9F98-A6579BCFA642.jpeg

Well it kind of is !! That was just North of Avon. We're by St. Wendell today.
Nope, not too far. A little further than walking distance, though.

I love harvest time! I feel so much more motivated to get some work done. It's a little wet right now, though...not much going on in the fields or the woodlot right now.