Working In A New Section Of Woods

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
Yesterday my good neighbor and I cut some new trails. Now I can get into another section of the woods more easily.
IMG_6582.jpg

Let's play I-Spy: An ATV pulling a load of firewood.
IMG_6586.jpg

I bet the little fiskars wouldn't split this bad boy piece of white oak by just leaning it up against it.
IMG_6593.jpg

Looks like an empty beer bottle. Dad was here. Even though he's been gone over 25 years, I see things like this in the woods and I can still feel his presence.
IMG_6596.jpg

IMG_6602.jpg

The beginning of yet another surplus stack in the woods!
IMG_6603.jpg

What a great time of year to be in the woods, eh?
Cool, no bugs and clear sight through the brush (I saw the windshield of your machine).
Thanks for the pics!

Quads great pictures again, I think your maul has a drinking problem.

zap

maplewood said:
What a great time of year to be in the woods, eh?
Cool, no bugs and clear sight through the brush (I saw the windshield of your machine).
Thanks for the pics!
Exactly! No bugs, not too hot, not too cold, no snow, and all those raspberry vines don't have any leaves on them yet so I can see where the wood is laying to cut up. But they do have a thorn on them, one every inch.

zapny said:
Quads great pictures again, I think your maul has a drinking problem.

zap
Ha ha! That bottle is most likely even older than the maul.

Good pics,
You sure seem to have lots of dead standing trees. Are the trees getting that old or is a blight getting them all?

Nice Dad memories.

I remember those short-necked bottles. Seems to be that was about 45 years ago when they were big.

Quads, did you brush hog those trails? They look narrow for a brush hog.

bogydave said:
Good pics,
You sure seem to have lots of dead standing trees. Are the trees getting that old or is a blight getting them all?

Nice Dad memories.
Oak wilt.

Backwoods Savage said:
I remember those short-necked bottles. Seems to be that was about 45 years ago when they were big.

Quads, did you brush hog those trails? They look narrow for a brush hog.
My neighbor used his walk-behind brush cutter, called a 'Billy Goat'.

Thats great Quads

You and your pictures always makes me want to get in the woods. I hope the weather is good and I can get to the farm next weekend.

Billy

its amazing how much different your woods looks compared to here in the North East. Yours in a lot more wide open compared to here.

Archer39 said:
its amazing how much different your woods looks compared to here in the North East. Yours in a lot more wide open compared to here.
Actually, it never used to be that open. A tornado went through it and then the loggers followed. That's when all the raspberries took over and the oak wilt got aggressive.

Very nice, Quads.
I sure wish I had bought that fully wooded 10 acres when I had a chance to get it cheap.
10 acres of hardwood would have kept me in stove wood for a very long time.
It was almost all Oak, Maple, Beech and Ash.

In 1978 I could have bought that ten acres for $5000 on a $50/Month land contract.

Rustaholic said:
Very nice, Quads.
I sure wish I had bought that fully wooded 10 acres when I had a chance to get it cheap.
10 acres of hardwood would have kept me in stove wood for a very long time.
It was almost all Oak, Maple, Beech and Ash.

In 1978 I could have bought that ten acres for $5000 on a $50/Month land contract.
That is too bad you passed it up! Well like they say, hindsight is 20/20.

Yup, I wanted to buy it and put a sawmill on it.
I knew where I could get an almost free sawmill that was built on an old school bus frame.
It was completely towable with a tow bar on the front.

Yes, We were six months in this house that I had built the year before and new to the $220 mortgage and my sweet wife didn't want us to add another $50 a month to the budget.

I could have pushed the deal through and we would have made it but that is not the way a marriage should work.
We are at 33 years now and 34 years will start on June 19.

Status
Not open for further replies.