You might be a firewood junkie...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
When you have so much split wood, your friends think nothing of asking for a load, like I ask them for their heating oil or for them to pipe their NG over to me:confused:
Thank you for posting that. I now know exactly what I'm going to say next time someone asks me for some firewood. It happens too frequently, and I always cave.

Reactions: baseroom
...when you go outside on the coldest day of the year to see if frozen rounds really pop right open like everyone says they do. Spoiler alert: they didn't for me, at least I noticed no real difference (on some big red oak) except that my maul seemed to bounce off a lot. I did manage to get one round split before my fingers went completely numb. Color me disappointed!

Reactions: Tracks74
when you go outside on the coldest day of the year to see if frozen rounds really pop right open like everyone says they do. Spoiler alert: they didn't for me, at least I noticed no real difference (on some big red oak) except that my maul seemed to bounce off a lot. I did manage to get one round split before my fingers went completely numb. Color me disappointed!
Whaaaaa? Das crazy. I split a small wheelbarrow full of osage tonight and it popped apart like ash for me. it always seems like bitter cold make every split easier. Bummer.

You might be a firewood junkie if you have built yourself a new carport...

133.jpg

[I did not do this...the picture was sent to me because I can appreciate it...]

Same here on post #51, Mike.

Peeps see my "wood wall" and ask for bonfirewood. WHAT? "That's not for bonfires!"
"That nasty ugly pile in the firepit and next to it is." "You can have as much of that as you want."

Yes, I cave too when it comes to lazy stovers, but they don't get much. LOL
Hazards of being a nice guy. (Someone truly in need I'll load up to the gills but that's a God thing.)

Your neighbors casually mention that they are taking down their monster ash tomorrow. You run inside to call out of work and then spend the whole next day hauling rounds back across the street as fast as the tree guys can buck them. As you're tipping the guys for their help one says, "man are you gonna be tired tomorrow." You go ahead and call out the next day 'cause when you get up you can't move!

when you show up with a truck full of locust and tell your wife she has a present. When she finds out its wood, she gets upset until you say "well, I was going to bring you a pile of cash, but that doesn't keep you warm for very long in the stove"

.....When my daughter asks why I was driving so slow down a country road and I told her
that I hadn't been down this street yet and had to see if there was anything available to load up. LOL

Whaaaaa? Das crazy. I split a small wheelbarrow full of osage tonight and it popped apart like ash for me. it always seems like bitter cold make every split easier. Bummer.
I tried again today (now that it's even colder) and think I figured out what's going on. I had a bunch of smaller poplar & maple rounds to work on and those popped apart for me, like you and others described. (Is that why they call it pop-lar??? :p) The stuff I'm having trouble with is a dense red oak. It's still sopping wet inside so trying to split it while frozen is like hammering a solid block of ice. Guess I'll be holding off on that until it warms up later in the week.

Reactions: FaithfulWoodsman
I got depressed when the wife asked me to run the AEP machine "just for a few minutes" until
the stove took off this morning.

Bummer dudes. Guess ya gotta make sure it still works n' blow the dust out.

(We actually do this every few weeks for ten minutes)

To piggy back the last one, when your wife says that maybe the upstairs bedroom could have door shut with the electric heat on with it being so cold tonight....and you get a panicky feel, redouble your pitch for the woodstove and you win out because she realizes you're a lunatic about this stuff.

Thank you for posting that. I now know exactly what I'm going to say next time someone asks me for some firewood. It happens too frequently, and I always cave.
Don't do that Ashful! It's nice to share with friends. Rack up those good karma points.

Between that and your excellent stash of exotic brew, why do you think they are hanging around?

Reactions: Ashful
To piggy back the last one, when your wife says that maybe the upstairs bedroom could have door shut with the electric heat on with it being so cold tonight....and you get a panicky feel, redouble your pitch for the woodstove and you win out because she realizes you're a lunatic about this stuff.
Yes, yes, yes!

I got depressed when the wife asked me to run the AEP machine "just for a few minutes" until
the stove took off this morning.

Bummer dudes. Guess ya gotta make sure it still works n' blow the dust out.

(We actually do this every few weeks for ten minutes)

An AEP machine is a stretch wrap bundler, so what are you talking about?

An AEP machine is a stretch wrap bundler, so what are you talking about?
I can help. American Electric Power is the utility that the bill comes from, so its his reference to his furnace. Like if you referenced your PECO machine (if you were heating with PECO electricity or gas).

Reactions: Ashful
My bad. AEP is nationwide mixed in with ComEds n' such.
I thunk it was more common than first thought.

I also thought Asplundh was a local company until joining this site. LOL

You might be a firewood junkie if it bothers your wife when you constantly talk about your "ex" in front of your family and friends, and she is referring to your Fiskars...

Last edited:
Reactions: Hasufel
or when you wake up and have dreams about people leaving firewood for you.... then they turn to nightmares when they take your CSS wood :)

...when you go outside on the coldest day of the year to see if frozen rounds really pop right open like everyone says they do. Spoiler alert: they didn't for me, at least I noticed no real difference (on some big red oak) except that my maul seemed to bounce off a lot. I did manage to get one round split before my fingers went completely numb. Color me disappointed!
Doesn't stay cold enough for long enough to freeze that wood fiber so it would split easier...

Reactions: CheapBassTurd