1st post.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

The Fur

Jan 3, 2023
Hi all,
First post and need some help on this tree. I have 3 of these trees down on a property I just bought and have no idea what they are. Split and stacked about a face cord so far and I have to say this stuff smells horrible. Only way I can describe it is that it smells like deer blood. Any thoughts?

FW2.jpg FW1.jpg

Where are you, The fur?

Pull out pieces and give us a good look at the bark, and another pic of the grain of the wood.

Looks like some Red Oak in there, doesn't it?

Left side, second from top is an oak. Second from top, right side is as well. I’m not sure about the middle dark piece. The endgrain seems scuffed and the grain looks blurred, so probably not.

Thanks for all the replies. It’s all from the same tree if that helps. Does red oak always smell that bad?

Donde esta Usted, por favor. Since you don't respond to English.

SW Pa.
View attachment 306845
View attachment 306846
View attachment 306847
Strange stuff. Heart wood didn’t get dark until half to the top of the tree.
This is a birch. Classic bark markings. It's definitely not red oak.

In the first pic of the thread it does look like you have red oak though. The dark 3 pieces towards the top. I am burning 100% red oak this year so I'm pretty tuned into how it looks.

Looks like you have multiple types of wood.

Also, welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
Donde esta Usted, por favor. Since you don't respond to English.
SW PA, he said.
This is a birch. Classic bark markings.
Yep, second batch of pics look like some kind of Birch. I'm not real familiar though...I have River Birch here, that's about it.
But that looks different than the stuff in the first pic, as far as the bark...🤔

Last edited:
It does look like birch with the open lenticels, but not the paper, grey, or river that I'm used to seeing. Alders are in the same family and some keep open lenticils. I never learned to id those.

This is a birch. Classic bark markings. It's definitely not red oak.

In the first pic of the thread it does look like you have red oak though. The dark 3 pieces towards the top. I am burning 100% red oak this year so I'm pretty tuned into how it looks.

Looks like you have multiple types of wood.

Also, welcome to the forum!
Some of those pieces are def red oak

If the OP's claim of all splits are from one tree holds true....
It is some flavor of birch.

Im not starting an argument.. You a good dude, I have enjoyed your posts over the years.. Look at the pictures.. There is no way all that wood is from the same tree.. look at the picture with the pile of splits and then the second picture the OP sent.. Im a firm believer that this is a couple different trees.. 1 looks like cherry/or some kinda birch.. others look like a different hardwood.. IDK maybe I went stupid of 24 hours..

Im not starting an argument.. You a good dude, I have enjoyed your posts over the years.. Look at the pictures.. There is no way all that wood is from the same tree.. look at the picture with the pile of splits and then the second picture the OP sent.. Im a firm believer that this is a couple different trees.. 1 looks like cherry/or some kinda birch.. others look like a different hardwood.. IDK maybe I went stupid of 24 hours..
Guys, I certainly didn't want anyone arguing over this. It is absolutely from the same tree. bark at the base of the tree resembled oak and the top of the tree it changed to what some said looked like birch. No big deal, it's going to camp for fires outdoors anyway.

Guys, I certainly didn't want anyone arguing over this.
We like to argue; Gives us something to do when we're stuck inside on these long, cold winter days. ;)

id tell ya u got pin oak firewood ... its in the red oak family and usually gets treated as such and usually stanks a little worse thant most redoaks