2016-17 Blaze King Performance Thread (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's got to get cold here 1st, I'm thinking of setting a camera up and doing a time lapse.

Yes, we set record temps yesterday and the day before.

Reactions: Highbeam

Attachments

• 2016-17 Blaze King Performance Thread (Everything BK)
    IMG_0186.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 232
Reactions: Hiram Maxim
Reactions: chance04
On the bk website the princess is good for an extra 2k btu/ hour on 10 hour burns. 20k btu over 10 hours is about 10,500 joules of joy for me. I would upgrade today if the wife would let me.

How big a puddle is one ton of water?

Alternatively, 3400 btus in one kwh.

At 2k btus per hour, the princess can put out, according to bk, 12 kwh worth of heat as btus per day, over and above meeting the full thtottle output of an ashford 30.

Daily electricity consumption, the wife and i in a 5 br house, 11-13 kwh per day. please do not tell me 2k btu per hour is a trivial ampunt of heat, i dont agree.

I pick mine up on Friday from the dealer, the new system to hook up to the liner, is there anything that tripped you up during the install with that or is it straight forward to connect up?
It's very straight forward. If you have the room you can bolt it up first, otherwise you mount it to the liner slide the finished out stove into place, then bolt it on. The bolts are easy to access in the back of the stove. There was an issue with the first flue collars that went out, they have a revised flue collar. Make sure your stove has the proper collar.

Webb 3650 you are burning oak in campfire? I am calling wood police it's illegal.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Reactions: webby3650
My 25 is the new batch so it should have the revised collar, just incase what should I look for to see if it is incorrect?
The leading edge on the top of the flue collar has a bevel on it. It comes with an alert to the installer to inspect it before installation.

The leading edge on the top of the flue collar has a bevel on it. It comes with an alert to the installer to inspect it before installation.

Thanks webby, that is the only part of the install that will be new for me, I figured it will go without a hitch but always good to ask others that have done it already.

Gonna be in the 40s tonight in Denver. Man I am am tempted to start a fire!!! I am one of the procrastinators and still need to clean my pipe from last season :( SOON!

Hey neighbor, we are in the mountains north of you, in a community called Big Elk Meadows.

Reactions: claybe
I am going to have a lot of questions here shortly although I have been reading this one thread and past threads on the BK's. I just finished stacking about 1.5 cords in the center bay of my garage for the BK King that should be installed within the next 2 weeks (everything ready, but they missed that we ordered a parlor stove).

First question - I have a lot of limb wood and I also have a lot of big splits. I am in the Northwest - I mostly have fir with a mix of ponderosa pine and tamarack. For burning limb wood (2-4 inch stuff) I am assuming that I can mix it with the bigger splits and the stove should have no issues with it? Any advice would be appreciated. I know some folks say they burn it in a cat stove with no problem, but all I see on these threads is a stove full of big splits.

Pretty confident that my wood is dry enough. Reason I have so much limb wood is that it is easy and free. I have been dropping (mostly fir) to clear some land for leveling on my property. I drop them - cut the big limbs in really long sections and collect them until it is worth pulling out my big chop saw. It's very fast and as I read it the BTU's are good. I cut the bigger sections to length and split them first.

Any thoughts or advice on incorporating these into my burn cycle? Should I try for at least a 50/50 mix? I went with the King because our house is huge so I wanted as much capacity as possible and these stoves are easy to dial back when you don't want as much heat.

Thanks in advance!

I am going to have a lot of questions here shortly although I have been reading this one thread and past threads on the BK's. I just finished stacking about 1.5 cords in the center bay of my garage for the BK King that should be installed within the next 2 weeks (everything ready, but they missed that we ordered a parlor stove).

First question - I have a lot of limb wood and I also have a lot of big splits. I am in the Northwest - I mostly have fir with a mix of ponderosa pine and tamarack. For burning limb wood (2-4 inch stuff) I am assuming that I can mix it with the bigger splits and the stove should have no issues with it? Any advice would be appreciated. I know some folks say they burn it in a cat stove with no problem, but all I see on these threads is a stove full of big splits.

Pretty confident that my wood is dry enough. Reason I have so much limb wood is that it is easy and free. I have been dropping (mostly fir) to clear some land for leveling on my property. I drop them - cut the big limbs in really long sections and collect them until it is worth pulling out my big chop saw. It's very fast and as I read it the BTU's are good. I cut the bigger sections to length and split them first.

Any thoughts or advice on incorporating these into my burn cycle? Should I try for at least a 50/50 mix? I went with the King because our house is huge so I wanted as much capacity as possible and these stoves are easy to dial back when you don't want as much heat.

Thanks in advance!

We use big splits for maximum burn time. The bk is probably the best able stove to handle tons of 2-4" branch wood. Pack them tight to reduce the burn rate and/or mix with bigger splits but yes, burn it.

Thanks - I was confident that was the case, but I have lots of the smaller stuff. Cords of it and I just finished stacking a bunch more limbs from firs I already dropped. Will try and find time to fire up the chop saw and keep growing the stack for next year.

Don't sweat it, volunbeer. The BK is infinitely controllable. As long as you're not filling it full of toothpicks, it will burn at whatever rate you desire.

I don't bother with branch wood anymore, but when I did I still split it. I find that rounds just don't dry and burn as nicely as wood that's split, even if it's just in half.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I am a bit concerned about how dry the limb wood is. I have been putting a fair amount of them back on the pile for next year that felt heavy, but most of them sound pretty hollow and seem light enough. My split wood is definitely dry enough after one season here in Eastern Washington. Thankfully I went overboard on getting wood CSS and I doubt I will burn even half the 10 cords I have. Its been mild, but looks like winter is finally coming this week. Looking forward to getting the thing set up and cranked up!

When I cut my own wood I used the limbs because I couldn't stand wasting them but I also couldn't stand splitting them. I agree with Ashful that even the small rounds don't dry as well as splits but I just mix them in and they do fine.

Sound when knocking 'em together can be deceiving, I've found. What I sometimes do with small rounds is to "crack" them but don't split them all the way apart. That way, they are decent size for loading into the stove and will burn longer, but being cracked they will still dry out.

Reactions: Ashful
When I cut my own wood I used the limbs because I couldn't stand wasting them but I also couldn't stand splitting them. I agree with Ashful that even the small rounds don't dry as well as splits but I just mix them in and they do fine.
You're not wasting anything, if the time spent on limbs is keeping you from bigger things! That's the reason I just leave them in the woods or burn them in my burn pile, now. Every minute spent processing limbs is another minute I don't have for splitting real wood, and it takes an awful long time to build a cord out of small branches.

Reactions: tarzan
Status
Not open for further replies.