2017-18 Blaze King Performance Thread PART 3 (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So you have a 6" stainless class a chimney, how long of a run from stove collar to cap? are there an bends?
One bend up in the roof joice. 45 degree about 25 feet long. Maybe another stove will work.

Attachments

• IMG_0126.JPG
    IMG_0126.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_0218.JPG
    IMG_0218.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 177
Guys need your help. I am looking at a Ashford 30. I called a BK dealer today and told him about my existing chimney. I have a duravent duratech class a stainless chimney with a six inch flue. The dealer was not sure if a Ashford could be hooked up to that chimney. He was going to call his rep. Should I just give up and look at another stove? Any stoves that would work with that chimney? A hearthstone is on
it now.
Why couldn't it be hooked to that chimney? That chimney is designed for all fuels.

Reactions: webby3650
I know. I have never had any issues with a duratech product. I guess if I don't hear back from him the BK is dead in the water. Nothing more I can do.

Bk insists double wall. That looks like single.

There is a reason for this- flue temps are always much lower than pretty much all other stoves. You need an insulated chimney.

I know. I have never had any issues with a duratech product. I guess if I don't hear back from him the BK is dead in the water. Nothing more I can do.
Is this the chimney you're using now?

DV_Product-DuraTech_5_8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm confused. Isn't all class A double wall insulated? Why would this not work?
Me too. I thought for insurance reasons and building code the class a are double wall and insulated. My insurance rep approved the chimney so I don't know what the problem is. Well tomarrow is a new day.

There is a reason for this- flue temps are always much lower than pretty much all other stoves. You need an insulated chimney.
Not entirely true, it’s recommended no doubt and is best. There’s lots of BKs running just fine one single wall pipe though...

Last edited:
Reactions: AlbergSteve
Any Stove with a 6” outlet will work fine on that chimney, it’s a good solid product.

Why on earth would the dealer need to call the rep on this one? He must be new!

Any Stove with a 6” outlet will work fine on that chimney, it’s a good solid product.

Why on earth would the dealer need to call the rep on this one? He must be new!
I don't know. I am bummed. The Ashford is a beautiful stove. Would a F55 or Ideal Steel work?

Me too. I thought for insurance reasons and building code the class a are double wall and insulated. My insurance rep approved the chimney so I don't know what the problem is. Well tomarrow is a new day.
This should have been a pretty simple question for your dealer to answer, and it should not have taken him more than 30 seconds to find the answer. The Duratech chimney shown in my pic above is ULC S604 which is no longer all-fuel rated in some municipalities in Canada. The UL 103 HT might be different for the US. I'm sure the sweeps on here could answer more specifically. The newish code here is ULC S629.
The Ashford doesn't require a specific chimney different from other wood stoves.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newburnerwisconsin
Yes, but of course the Ashford would outperform them.
Maybe I can find another BK dealer. Ashford was my first choice. Maybe the guy will call me back. I don't know.

This should have been a pretty simple question for your dealer to answer, and it should not have taken him more than 30 seconds to find the answer. The Duratech chimney shown in my pic above is ULC S604 which is no longer all-fuel rated in some municipalities in Canada. The UL 103 HT might be different for the US. I'm sure the sweeps on here could answer more specifically. The newish code here is ULC S629.
Thanks everyone for your time and knowledge.

Why do you think double wall is required?

Didn't say required- like for legal purposes. I said insist- It says to run double wall right on page 13 of the ashford manual. Or, a insulated liner. That's on page 14. Dont think there is anything inaccurate in what i said.

And it's so you can keep the Bk already cooler flue gases from cooling further. But im sure you already know that.

Last edited:

They recommend double wall, I’ve not seen where they “insist” on it. I’m running one of my BK Ashford 30’s on 6 feet of single wall with another 9 feet of insulated 6” liner above that, and it runs beautifully. No issues.

Reactions: Highbeam
Yes, double wall is recommended but not compulsory. Low burns might be compromised, depending on your particular installation. The propensity for sticky or glassy creosote production will increase, not saying you are going to have it for certain but the chances are increased. Higher moisture content wood will have a better chance of creosoting the flue.

Keeping the flue gasses above condensing is important but does not always result in bad things happening. In my experience.

Burn for 30 days then inspect the flue. Keep doing this until you are satisfied things are stable and going well. Watch the moisture content.

Yes, double wall is recommended but not compulsory. Low burns might be compromised, depending on your particular installation. The propensity for sticky or glassy creosote production will increase, not saying you are going to have it for certain but the chances are increased. Higher moisture content wood will have a better chance of creosoting the flue.

Keeping the flue gasses above condensing is important but does not always result in bad things happening. In my experience.

Burn for 30 days then inspect the flue. Keep doing this until you are satisfied things are stable and going well. Watch the moisture content.
I went double wall on the stove pipe connected to my taller chimney, knowing there was a higher likelihood of flue gasses dropping below 212F in a 30 foot stack. On my shorter chimney (total 15 feet), I figured single wall was likely fine, as exhaust temp doesn’t drop that much in such a short run. So far, it appears I was right, no issues with creosote, condensation, or freezing at the cap.

I'm confused. Isn't all class A double wall insulated? Why would this not work?
Not all. DuraVent also makes a value line class A chimney called DuraPlus. It is triple-wall insulated.

Guys need your help. I am looking at a Ashford 30. I called a BK dealer today and told him about my existing chimney. I have a duravent duratech class a stainless chimney with a six inch flue. The dealer was not sure if a Ashford could be hooked up to that chimney. He was going to call his rep. Should I just give up and look at another stove? Any stoves that would work with that chimney? A hearthstone is on it now.

The dealer is poorly informed. Assuming it's properly installed, DuraTech is fine. The dealer comment is a bit surprising for someone that regularly sells stoves, but it does happen. I've run across an occasional know-it-all dealer that really doesn't know much. This happens with stove owners sometimes too. I'd sit tight and wait for the response. The rep should know better. You might shoot a PM to BKVP and ask how long this dealership has been selling BK stoves. They could be new. For best performance I would change out the single-wall to double-wall, but it is not required.

Last edited:
Reactions: Highbeam
If you have an uninsulated flue and burn low, you will need to sweep more often than if it was insulated.

A brush costs $15 and sweeping takes me about 25 minutes (15 minutes to clean up, 5 minutes to remove/brush/reinstall the cap, 5 minutes to sweep and inspect).

The hard part is letting the stove go out! Only did that once this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.