2017-18 Blaze King Performance Thread PART 3 (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just on the BK website under FAQ, and they said their cats can last up to ten years, is that not true.

May be true for an occasional burner, unlikely for those that burn 24/7 during the heating season. I had 5 seasons on my first one, on my second season with it’s replacement which is still going strong.

Reactions: Ashful
May be true for an occasional burner, unlikely for those that burn 24/7 during the heating season. I had 5 seasons on my first one, on my second season with it’s replacement which is still going strong.

Yea kind of worded funny, a cat could last indefinitely if the stove was never used.

Reactions: Highbeam
I don't want to pollute the pristine BK-only nature of this thread...
That's the funniest thing I've read all year. Seriously, topped jetsam, and even Brother Bart.

Did you miss the part where someone else is running THREE BKs?
You missed long-time forum member Browning BAR, who used to run three stoves all year long. If I recall, at least two of them were VC's, so he should get double-credit on those. There was another member on this forum with a log cabin (in Colorado?) with square footage in 5-figure land, but it was new construction. I might be in the top three on raw BTU consumption, but never on stoves.

I was just on the BK website under FAQ, and they said their cats can last up to ten years, is that not true.
Most folks burn their stoves under 1000 hours per year. That said, those types don't make a habit of logging into hearth.com on a regular basis. We (looking around, pointing at each of you) are not the norm.

Most folks burn their stoves under 1000 hours per year. That said, those types don't make a habit of logging into hearth.com on a regular basis. We (looking around, pointing at each of you) are not the norm.

So your saying this is a forum for fireplace addicts who need help with their addiction. ;lol

A cat will last 20 years, it you just burn on holidays. It's lifespan is more accurately measured in hours or about 10,000hrs. If one burns 24/7 then expect to hit that in about 2.5-3 yrs..

Yea kind of worded funny, a cat could last indefinitely if the stove was never used.
You get a free one the first time around...after that its on you.

Reactions: Mark8
that needs to be answered by some folks that have run a BK cat for a while. I just got mine here 3 weeks ago, so I can honestly answer that. 10 would be nice, but I doubt it

3 spaces to heat = 3 BK's here. I'm likely going to build another greenhouse this Spring...but I promise...it'll only be a Summer-only thing and not heated with wood. I know my limits. Gotta keep this all in check or I'll be installing digital flue temp gauges and keeping logs like some of you who are a bit father along in the addiction process.

Damn. Starting to shake. I need another log.

Reactions: tpenny67
My King 1107 has a ceramic cat. It's well over ten years, 4-5 cords a year. 3 years were NIELS only. I ran a ss cat for one season, prefer ceramic, so I regasketed it and shove it back in.

20 minutes after hot reload, no smoke.

My King 1107 has a ceramic cat. It's well over ten years, 4-5 cords a year. 3 years were NIELS only. I ran a ss cat for one season, prefer ceramic, so I regasketed it and shove it back in. 20 minutes after hot reload, no smoke.
Well sure, when you hobnob with the combustor bigwigs you can cherry-pick their stock for a cat that got triple-coated by mistake.. ;)

Reactions: ratsrepus
Well sure, when you hobnob with the combustor bigwigs you can cherry-pick their stock for a cat that got triple-coated by mistake.. ;)
Appreciate the humor. Actually, the amount of plating is irrelevant if you do not increase the surface area. So, having palladium or platinum more than on the immediate surface does not help.

Reactions: becasunshine
My King 1107 has a ceramic cat. It's well over ten years, 4-5 cords a year. 3 years were NIELS only. I ran a ss cat for one season, prefer ceramic, so I regasketed it and shove it back in.

20 minutes after hot reload, no smoke.
We have a lot of customers with ceramic cats that are 10 years old. It’s possible in our climate to be a full time burner and get 10 years or more from a BK cat.

Appreciate the humor. Actually, the amount of plating is irrelevant if you do not increase the surface area. So, having palladium or platinum more than on the immediate surface does not help.

They say th reaction only occurs on the surface so whether that catalyst is thick or thin doesn’t matter. They also say that the catalyst does not get consumed so again, thickness doesn’t matter. Something happens during those 10,000 hours that causes a catalyst to become less effective to the point that it needs replacement. The people that actually make these catalytic converters have said so and I have experienced it.

Pop a new one in. Just takes a minute and you are back in business.

We buy all sorts of consumables in our modern life like toilet paper, coffee, beer, etc. why is it so hard to part with 186$ for a new cat?

Certainly after a period of time combustors become less effective. The study done by OMNI Environmental Services has 9.5 year old combustors that produced 1.0 gr/he more than certification values. Tested combustors were run by both hardwood and softwood burners.

They say th reaction only occurs on the surface so whether that catalyst is thick or thin doesn’t matter. They also say that the catalyst does not get consumed so again, thickness doesn’t matter. Something happens during those 10,000 hours that causes a catalyst to become less effective to the point that it needs replacement. The people that actually make these catalytic converters have said so and I have experienced it.

Pop a new one in. Just takes a minute and you are back in business.

We buy all sorts of consumables in our modern life like toilet paper, coffee, beer, etc. why is it so hard to part with 186$ for a new cat?
Indeed, called overplating. That's why the cleaning process removed SOME of the material that masks the precious metals.

Indeed, called overplating. That's why the cleaning process removed SOME of the material that masks the precious metals.

I just wish there was a reasonably simple and cost effective process to remove all or almost all of the junk that overplates the catalyst. The vinegar bath does not buy much more life.

Certainly after a period of time combustors become less effective. The study done by OMNI Environmental Services has 9.5 year old combustors that produced 1.0 gr/he more than certification values. Tested combustors were run by both hardwood and softwood burners.
Did they keep track of how many hours were on those combustors? If yes, how many?

Did they keep track of how many hours were on those combustors? If yes, how many?

I admit feeling like my chain is being jerked when “years” of life are discussed as some sort of valid measurement.

Reactions: Mark8
They measured heating seasons with a minimum of 3 cords per season. If a candidate did not meet these and other conditions, they were excluded. EPA had a consultant firm, ECR, design the protocol and questionnaire.

They measured heating seasons with a minimum of 3 cords per season. If a candidate did not meet these and other conditions, they were excluded. EPA had a consultant firm, ECR, design the protocol and questionnaire.
Somehow this doesn't seem to correlate with the manufacturer's 10,000 hr. expected lifespan. Say they burned 24/7 from November 1 to April 1 and went through the 3 cords during that period. That would come up to be 3,624 hrs./yr. or 2.76 yrs. to reach 10k hrs. 10 years would be 36,240 hours. What are people or the mfg. doing differently (incorrectly?) that they are only seeing about 10k hrs. from their cats?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.