2017-18 Blaze King Performance Thread PART 3 (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So since I never use the plug I can pull the top layer out and gain some volume?
. looks like we can 31 hrs burn instead of 28 if we remove the bottom layer of bricks. My princess is boring enough.

Reactions: Tar12
. looks like we can 31 hrs burn instead of 28 if we remove the bottom layer of bricks. My princess is boring enough.
I am thinking "mini-king"...:)

Wouldn't that change the hearth R-value requirement, by some unknown / un-tested value?

Reactions: becasunshine
I need a bush pilot superstar! Or is that Ratsrepus?

Wouldn't that change the hearth R-value requirement, by some unknown / un-tested value?
Possible but I doubt it with the Ultra being a pedestal stove...but even if it did I would adapt.

Precisely. It was only tested with 2 layers..

Reactions: becasunshine
The low burn rate might drop as the firebox heat retention factor would change significantly resulting in an earlier cat dropout. During a high burn the stove bottom might overheat causing bad stuff to happen. Long term, a weld or plate might stress crack. Being engineered to the Nth degree, I don't think it wise to make major changes in the combustion chamber. They work mighty fine as built. Modifying old stoves could provide gain, but I don't think so with a BK. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: coutufr
Precisely. It was only tested with 2 layers..
I just "thought" the extra layer was there to accommodate the plug...who wouldn't like extra volume? :)

do you understand your statement, I find it very interesting you figured it out.
Yes, I figured it out. Marketing guys play with letters and wording all the time...

Perhaps an online Blaze King Bible complete with index would be advantageous. Updatable at will. A lot if raw information and operating nuances have been brought forth in these threads.

Index

Ch1. Congratulations you have just purchased the worlds finest wood furnace.
Ch2. How to burn. Don't throw that manual away just yet.
Ch3. Dealing with boredom. When psychotherapy is indicated.
Ch5. Gaskets, cats and all the other easy stuff.
Ch6. Secrets of the magic thermostatic controller.

I like it.

Practically, we are somewhere between Chapters 3 and 5 in real life...
... which leads me to ask,

What happened to Chapter 4?

WHAT'S IN CHAPTER 4???

I like it.

Practically, we are somewhere between Chapters 3 and 5 in real life...
... which leads me to ask,

What happened to Chapter 4?

WHAT'S IN CHAPTER 4???
4 is well known to be an unlucky number because 四 sounds similar to 死 (sǐ), which means "death" in Chinese.

Chapter 4.

"The Aliens Return for Their Lost Technology"

Reactions: coutufr
Chapter 4.

"The Aliens Return for Their Lost Technology"

OOOOH. That should be exciting! Is that part of the boredom therapy as discussed in Chapter 3, or is this where we'll need psychotherapy?

Never mind, DON'T TELL ME, I WANT TO BE SURPRISED! :D

Ditto. I don't know how you folks who like to shovel ashes into a bucket could possibly think that's better than using the plug, but to each their own...
When it misses the tray below and lands on the floor.

I did a thing.

I reloaded mine after work, had the cat engaged with the tsat on high, looked at my chores list, looked at indoor temp, outdoor temp and the clock.

I left the tstat on high with the deck fan on low. When my wife got home 105 minutes later, i was still doing chores, the indoor temp was perfect - and i didnt hurt my stove.

When it misses the tray below and lands on the floor.

You must have one of the early Ashfords 30.1’s. That was fixed long ago, and a retrofit pan is available. No excuses!

I did a thing.

I reloaded mine after work, had the cat engaged with the tsat on high, looked at my chores list, looked at indoor temp, outdoor temp and the clock.

I left the tstat on high with the deck fan on low. When my wife got home 105 minutes later, i was still doing chores, the indoor temp was perfect - and i didnt hurt my stove.

AND you were ready to turn up the fan and blow clothes all over the place!

Reactions: Poindexter
AND you were ready to turn up the fan and blow clothes all over the place!

I do hang clothes on the fence around the stove area. Winter clothes line. The fence also keep the dogs from snitching logs. Two years ago I used the stove to raise 5 California White chicks. That speaks volumes about the even heat. You can make ferments (sauerkraut, kefir etc.) right next to it too but I still have not figured out any use for the bun warmer drawer as of yet. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.