2018-19 Blaze King Performance Thread Part 1 (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with all of that. But why would I have to double the size of the bk to heat a house I could heat with the 3100. And no I am not buying a king. I could not justify spending that much on something I absolutely hate the looks of.

Yeah, the looks are a problem for me, too. It wasn’t a question of having to double it to heat your house, I thought the Princess was doing that just fine. It’s just an opportunity to tap into the “magic”, those long burn times. Bigger tank = longer burn time, for the same heat load and burn rate.

Just having some fun with you, anyway. Wasn’t really serious.

Reactions: bholler
How long does everyone have the bypass open before opening the door on reloads. I may be wrong but I thought the manual suggested two minutes.

How long does everyone have the bypass open before opening the door on reloads. I may be wrong but I thought the manual suggested two minutes.
It depends. if lots of coals and cat active ( hot reload ), it is good to wait but if is almost dead i think it is ok to open it as long bypass is open

is the sole reason for waiting to reduce potential thermal shock?

That plus stabilize everything in there putting the cat out of the picture.

I also do it to dump some heat into the flue and establish a higher flow rate in the chimney. This should help reduce the smoke spillage when I open the door.

Reactions: tarzan and Ashful
product placement has been going on in television for ages, keep that in mind when you watch your shows. I'm guessing, however; You would know since you are in the business, and recently picked up the BK line. Hey, wasn't that about the same time you started beating the drum for the BK brand?
These aren’t placements, they are simply in the background, no names mentioned.

I got on the BK band wagon after I purchased one. I’m not for or against any brand of stove, until I’ve personally used it in my home.

Reactions: kennyp2339
These aren’t placements, they are simply in the background, no names mentioned.

I got on the BK band wagon after I purchased one. I’m not for or against any brand of stove, until I’ve personally used it in my home.
Unless it's a hybrid lol.

Unless it's a hybrid lol.
I had a hybrid, I’m not willing to go down that road again unless I see some changes. I’d try a Woodstock though, just too expensive for me.

I had a hybrid, I’m not willing to go down that road again unless I see some changes. I’d try a Woodstock though, just too expensive for me.
I know I am just picking on you. The regency hybrids are holding up well after the initial problems we're fixed with the inserts.

Reactions: Woody Stover
How long does everyone have the bypass open before opening the door on reloads.(?)
I usually open the bypass when grabbing my wood satchels, before heading outside to fill them. I’d guess that’s 2+ minutes.

I’m not sure it’s necessary, I never have smoke spillage issues, and I was always running SteelCats until very recently. But I’ve seen it suggested (in the manual, I think), so why not? It doesn’t take me any more time to open it before fetching wood, than it does if I wait until seconds before opening the loading door.

I open mine for a min or so ahead of time. If I don't I get smoke spillage for sure

Are you kidding. I’m not sure where exactly in central Pa Bholler lives but from his description of the crazy short (2 weeks!) shoulder season and the amount of btu’s required to heat his house, I would think Alaska to be nothing more than a break from the brutal weather for him.;lol

And to think, it isn’t even winter yet! !!!

The shoulder season he is describing was unique to this year. We were in tee shirts three days ago, then yesterday was in the teens. This cycle has repeated three times in as many weeks, here. Crazy weather, but it’s not representative of our normal fall.

The shoulder season he is describing was unique to this year. We were in tee shirts three days ago, then yesterday was in the teens. This cycle has repeated three times in as many weeks, here. Crazy weather, but it’s not representative of our normal fall.

Yeah, I believe ya. That was wrote in jest.

From prior posts though, I do however think Bholler has less than ideal insulation that may be keeping him from enjoying the positive attributes of the Princess in a way many here do throughout the winter.

I live in a poorly insulated double wide but we’ve addressed the most serious issues and perhaps the biggest difference is, even though it’s poorly insulated it’s only 1,600sqft compared to Bhollers 2,200. The Princess heats my home comfortably but if it were the size of his, my results would likely be the same as his.

Yes it is really a pain when you work outside all day. I haven't known what to wear at all this fall.

Reactions: webby3650
I can relate to BHoller I have well over 2000 square feet to heat it was -8 below this morning. Much of my living space in wide open so if I close my bedroom doors the princess does ok. The stove is amazing in the shoulder season but in the dead of winter it is working hard all the time. I'm fairly new to wood burning but I don't see any other stoves that would suit me better. Am I wrong?

I can relate to BHoller I have well over 2000 square feet to heat it was -8 below this morning. Much of my living space in wide open so if I close my bedroom doors the princess does ok. The stove is amazing in the shoulder season but in the dead of winter it is working hard all the time. I'm fairly new to wood burning but I don't see any other stoves that would suit me better. Am I wrong?

A bigger stove, a second stove, or more insulation/better windows would help. BK makes the King, but it needs an 8" flue.

(And before we get a chorus of answers with 2.5cf stoves with high peak btu outputs, the problem of the stove working hard all the time isn't actually solved by a similarly sized stove that can only burn hard.)

-8? Wow, that is good. Are you heating just with the princess?

Ok guys, I need some help again. I have tried the search function but can't seem to find the right page. I have documented my fight with the smoke smell in our Ashford 30. We have almost eliminated it with chimney height but I still get it on occasion. I have found that we usually get it now on nights where we go to bed and it's around -5C and it warms thru the night to 3 or 4C. I have tried a temporary additional 4ft piece but it's still there. So I would like to try the replacement door gasket I've read about. I have called Blaze King who put me in contact with there Canadian distributor but they tell me they have never heard of this problem and would like me to try and get a part number and order it thru a dealer. Any chance one of you fine upstanding members of the Hearth community could point me in the right direction?

-8? Wow, that is good. Are you heating just with the princess?

yes, just the princess. I considered many other stoves (Drolet HT 2000, Englander 30NC) when i installed last year. The princess does well when I'm home however I need a stove that can run at least 8 hours when I'm gone. Not a lot of options out there. 12-31-2017 it was -37 below here.

Reactions: lsucet
yes, just the princess. I considered many other stoves (Drolet HT 2000, Englander 30NC) when i installed last year. The princess does well when I'm home however I need a stove that can run at least 8 hours when I'm gone. Not a lot of options out there. 12-31-2017 it was -37 below here.
You will need a big boy at those temps a king a regency 5100 there are probably others but I can't think of any offhand

You will need a big boy at those temps a king a regency 5100 there are probably others but I can't think of any offhand
the 5100 need a 8 inch flue? I would already have a king if i had an 8 inch flue.

Ok guys, I need some help again. I have tried the search function but can't seem to find the right page. I have documented my fight with the smoke smell in our Ashford 30. We have almost eliminated it with chimney height but I still get it on occasion. I have found that we usually get it now on nights where we go to bed and it's around -5C and it warms thru the night to 3 or 4C. I have tried a temporary additional 4ft piece but it's still there. So I would like to try the replacement door gasket I've read about. I have called Blaze King who put me in contact with there Canadian distributor but they tell me they have never heard of this problem and would like me to try and get a part number and order it thru a dealer. Any chance one of you fine upstanding members of the Hearth community could point me in the right direction?
i'm not sure about that - i know at least 2 people on this forum who have received thicker door gasket rope from BK Canada in order to address smoke smell issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.