2018-19 Blaze King Performance Thread Part 1 (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm not sure about that - i know at least 2 people on this forum who have received thicker door gasket rope from BK Canada in order to address smoke smell issues.

Yup. That's what I'm hoping for. I am hoping someone who got the new gasket has a part number so I can give it a try.

Ok guys, I need some help again. I have tried the search function but can't seem to find the right page. I have documented my fight with the smoke smell in our Ashford 30. We have almost eliminated it with chimney height but I still get it on occasion. I have found that we usually get it now on nights where we go to bed and it's around -5C and it warms thru the night to 3 or 4C. I have tried a temporary additional 4ft piece but it's still there. So I would like to try the replacement door gasket I've read about. I have called Blaze King who put me in contact with there Canadian distributor but they tell me they have never heard of this problem and would like me to try and get a part number and order it thru a dealer. Any chance one of you fine upstanding members of the Hearth community could point me in the right direction?

@BKVP will be able to help with that one for sure.

Yup. That's what I'm hoping for. I am hoping someone who got the new gasket has a part number so I can give it a try.
i don't have the part number, but if you call the BK canada # on the front of your manual, ask to talk to Dennis. He's one of the stove techs, and he'll likely know what you're talking about.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
@BKVP will be able to help with that one for sure.

I'm hoping so. The stove is running close to perfect and if I can finally get rid of this smell for good then I will be able to say that the Ashford is one of the very very few products I've purchased in my life that is completely worth every penny. Unfortunate, but there's not much you can say that about these days.

I'm hoping so. The stove is running close to perfect and if I can finally get rid of this smell for good then I will be able to say that the Ashford is one of the very very few products I've purchased in my life that is completely worth every penny. Unfortunate, but there's not much you can say that about these days.

He read every thread on that issue and worked privately with a lot of the folks that reported it. If nothing else he can get your local BK dealer up to speed.

i don't have the part number, but if you call the BK canada # on the front of your manual, ask to talk to Dennis. He's one of the stove techs, and he'll likely know what you're talking about.
He read every thread on that issue and worked privately with a lot of the folks that reported it. If nothing else he can get your local BK dealer up to speed.

Thank you very much. I just got off the phone with him and not only did I get the part numbers but 2 suggestions to try first. Very informative and helpful.

Reactions: MissMac and jetsam
Can you share the #

Can you share the #

6 ft of 155-0188 and 4 shims #2875 plus rtv. If you are having the same issues as me you should try calling him before ordering. He gave me some specific things to think about on my install that I hadn't considered before. I'm trying those before trying the gasket.

Reactions: charger4406
Geez, i thought I could set either one of my BK's out in the front yard and it would make it like summer. Insulation, windows , doors all have everything to do with how well the stove works, It silly me even mentioning this, because Im sure everyone is tunes into. A big leaky house in the dead of winter, even the best stove is going to be working its arse off

Geez, i thought I could set either one of my BK's out in the front yard and it would make it like summer. Insulation, windows , doors all have everything to do with how well the stove works, It silly me even mentioning this, because Im sure everyone is tunes into. A big leaky house in the dead of winter, even the best stove is going to be working its arse off
Yes of course insulation etc matters. But my house isn't that big or that leaky comparitivly.

Situation:

BK Ashford 30.1
6 feet single wall pipe
10 feet insulated liner
9 hours into a 24 hour burn
Steel cat new in fall 2016
9 splits of oak + 1 split of sycamore, full firebox at 10pm last night
Cat probe holding well into active region, maybe 10 o’clock on the dial

Chimney smoke, which I guess I never considered an issue:

View attachment 234893

Thoughts? This isn’t what everyone sees? There has never been any buildup on my screen at the cap, and liner stays relatively clean after a full year, so I’m not sure why visible smoke is a big deal to everyone, all of a sudden.

Lay it on me, I’m wearing my special socks today.

View attachment 234894

WTH! I need to know where to get those socks! I’ve got all kinds of funky socks.. need to add to my collection!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WTH! I need to know where to get those socks! I’ve got all kinds of funky socks.. need to add to my collection!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You need to buy two BK ashford before you can put your hand on it.

Reactions: Ashful
Lol thanks but I don't mind most of it. It is generally all in fun I know that.

I wasn't really pointed the finger at you, I was saying in general, there were a couple of post pertaining to poorly insulated homes out there, I think Ashfull was responsible for a few of them.

I wasn't really pointed the finger at you, I was saying in general, there were a couple of post pertaining to poorly insulated homes out there, I think Ashfull was responsible for a few of them.
I know that it has been discussed allot here lately.

Little lady has a full belly tonight.

11B84C2B-B30F-479B-9983-72EE6B03D35D.jpeg

And no I am not buying a king.
If I could find a plate-steel stove that did what I wanted for 2/3 the price, I would go that route instead. ==c
I'm fairly new to wood burning but I don't see any other stoves that would suit me better. Am I wrong?
It's a definite possibility...lotta stoves out there. Live and read and learn. ;)
You will need a big boy at those temps a king a regency 5100 there are probably others but I can't think of any offhand
The regency hybrids are holding up well after the initial problems we're fixed with the inserts.
Wholly cow, 4.42 cu.ft. box??! Is that legit, or is that like the Buck 91 "4.4" that, when I measured it, turned out to be about 3 cu.ft. usable? ;hm EPA is calling the 5100 top end 42K BTU/hr, about like your 3100.
Loads E-W or N-S..nice.
Socks?! Sock?! We don't need no stinking socks!
Classic movie line, well-adapted to sox. Well-played. >>

If I could find a plate-steel stove that did what I wanted for 2/3 the price, I would go that route instead. ==c
It's a definite possibility...lotta stoves out there. Live and read and learn. ;)
Wholly cow, 4.42 cu.ft. box??! Is that legit, or is that like the Buck 91 "4.4" that, when I measured it, turned out to be about 3 cu.ft. usable? ;hm EPA is calling the 5100 top end 42K BTU/hr, about like your 3100.
Loads E-W or N-S..nice.
Classic movie line, well-adapted to sox. Well-played. >>
The king is a plate steel stove. But regardless I have the 3100 that will be going back in next year.

Yes the 5100 is a monster of a stove not huge heatoutput but it does it allot longer than the 3100

Last edited:
Loads E-W or N-S..nice.
Pretty much an exact replica of the Blaze King King, after a few modifications. But without the long burn times and reliable thermostatic air control.

Pretty much an exact replica of the Blaze King King, after a few modifications. But without the long burn times and reliable thermostatic air control.
And it is a hybrid. It isn't ugly as hell . And I believe it has lower emissions. But it's the same size so that makes it an exact replica right?

Reactions: Woody Stover
Status
Not open for further replies.