2018-19 Blaze King Performance Thread Part 1 (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SmartSelect_20181206-212939_Chrome.jpg

And it is a hybrid. It isn't ugly as hell . And I believe it has lower emissions. But it's the same size so that makes it an exact replica right?
It’s ugly, and the entire bypass system is identical. The original wasn’t though, but they changed that to help prevent cat failure.

It’s ugly, and the entire bypass system is identical. The original wasn’t though, but they changed that to help prevent cat failure.
No it is plain and boring but not visually unbalance. Yes the way the mechanism works is the same as the king. Which is the same way that Dutch West did theirs. But the specifics of the mechanisms are totally different.

If I could find a plate-steel stove that did what I wanted for 2/3 the price, I would go that route instead. ==c
It's a definite possibility...lotta stoves out there. Live and read and learn. ;)
Wholly cow, 4.42 cu.ft. box??! Is that legit, or is that like the Buck 91 "4.4" that, when I measured it, turned out to be about 3 cu.ft. usable? ;hm EPA is calling the 5100 top end 42K BTU/hr, about like your 3100.
Loads E-W or N-S..nice.
Classic movie line, well-adapted to sox. Well-played. >>
Thanks...Bogart's version great but Blazing Saddles was superb.

Thanks...Bogart's version great but Blazing Saddles was superb.
We don't need no stinking sox, but we're gonna need a chitload o' dimes. ;lol

Reactions: BKVP
WTH! I need to know where to get those socks! I’ve got all kinds of funky socks.. need to add to my collection!!
I think you get a pair with each pair of BK stoves you order from the factory. Just order up two Ashfords!

there were a couple of post pertaining to poorly insulated homes out there, I think Ashfull was responsible for a few of them.
I wish my home was poorly insulated, that would be an enormous improvement. I have zero insulation in the main part of this house, I'm still looking for a way to stuff insulation into solid stone.

I find that my stone house performs about as well as most older homes my family and friends
own, especially after I air sealed and insulated the roofs.

Reactions: Ashful
Thanks for the info Bullyboy

Reactions: Bullyboy
I'm still looking for a way to stuff insulation into solid stone.

They have come up with a new kind of artificially modified wood that is flat on all four sides and the same thickness all the way down its length! What you can do is nail down one length of this stuff, then nail some more pieces to that piece at 90 degree angles, and another parallel piece along the top. Some researchers have theorized that soon it will be possible to easily make all the spaces in between the vertical flatwoods the same with a new kind of stick that has regular markings on it- which will be important, because one could in theory make the spaces all the same size as a roll of insulation!

Flatwood is the future!

Reactions: Ashful and tarzan
The king is a plate steel stove. But regardless I have the 3100 that will be going back in next year.

Yes the 5100 is a monster of a stove not huge heatoutput but it does it allot longer than the 3100
Is your 3100 a tub reburn only or a hybrid, I was looking them up yesterday, classic 3100 and 3100 pro.
Ahh never mind, see you posted hybrid.

Is your 3100 a tub reburn only or a hybrid, I was looking them up yesterday, classic 3100 and 3100 pro.
Ahh never mind, see you posted hybrid.
No the 3100 is a tubestove

They have come up with a new kind of artificially modified wood that is flat on all four sides and the same thickness all the way down its length! What you can do is nail down one length of this stuff, then nail some more pieces to that piece at 90 degree angles, and another parallel piece along the top. Some researchers have theorized that soon it will be possible to easily make all the spaces in between the vertical flatwoods the same with a new kind of stick that has regular markings on it- which will be important, because one could in theory make the spaces all the same size as a roll of insulation!

Flatwood is the future!

One of the greatest obstacles in this flattening process is trees that are full of lead.

They’re still trying to figure out the cause of this phenomenon but are finding that trees growing nearer to back porches are particularly susceptible.

Last edited:
If you're like some of the kool-aide-drinkin' hole-riders here, ;lol you've only burned one brand of cat stove. My first stove after the Englander smoke-blower was the Dutchwest 2460, then the Woodstocks, and the Buck 91 at my MIL's, 1905 house with no wall insulation, 9.5' ceilings and stove room at one end of the house. All cat stoves. So even though I've never run a BK, I'm used to how cat stoves operate, and am not as wowed by their performance as the first-timers here seem to be. Ford, indeed.
That's right, all stoves involve trade-offs, and that's been my point all along.
BTW, I've been to the base of the Sangre de Cristos...but that was in September. ==c
Weird stuff supposedly happens in that area...ever experienced anything like that? :oops:

Got me there...but why would I buy another cat stove when I'm totally happy with the BK(s)?

Yes...very strange area. Just mountains, trees, flowing water, critters and quiet. Most of you would just hate it.

upload_2018-12-7_9-33-17.png

Bruh - Keep it up Santa Claus is not even gona drop you off green wood.

Santa Claus is not even gona drop you off green wood.
I've already got green wood..I think it's moss or mold or fungus or something. :confused:

I just want to report, because others have mentioned it, that the BK Princess Insert is actually easier to control with the fan knob than the stat.
I understand the concept of why that would be once you understand how the stat works.

So for me, the process is load the stove, let char up a bit, turn stat way down, use fan to control heat output.
Works like a charm, the stat will adjust to compensate for the increased air speed.

Anyone else operating this way?

I just want to report, because others have mentioned it, that the BK Princess Insert is actually easier to control with the fan knob than the stat.
I understand the concept of why that would be once you understand how the stat works.

So for me, the process is load the stove, let char up a bit, turn stat way down, use fan to control heat output.
Works like a charm, the stat will adjust to compensate for the increased air speed.

yes for the most part. 3:00 give or take on the dial usually and fans on, off, but usually on a timer. i found that a cheap timer set to turn the fan on and off on 30 min or longer interval works great. my fans, even when on low, if left on all the time severely shorten my burn times.

i am going to wire a temperature activated switch (a stat) for the fan that is across the room. temp gets below 70? fans kick on. like a furnace or any other HVAC product.

Somewhat. From cool to cold temperatures my stove regulating procedure goes something like this,

Cool, stove running on or near lowest possible “active cat” setting.

Need a little more heat, same thermostat setting but run fan on low.

Getting pretty cold out, turn thermometer to a medium setting. Leave fan on low.

Bitter cold outside, thermostat remains roughly on a medium setting. Fan goes to medium.

Reactions: chazcarr and lsucet

I treat the t’stat knob as my “coarse control”, and the fan knob as my “fine control”.

Reactions: chazcarr
Cool. In my case, with the stoves stuffed back into masonry fireplaces on exterior walls, the fans are probably more necessary for me than others.

i am going to wire a temperature activated switch (a stat) for the fan that is across the room. temp gets below 70? fans kick on. like a furnace or any other HVAC product.
I do have that on one of my setups for long time and it work like champ.

Prize Time~

I own a Chevelle. The first 12 BK owners that can PM me the year of my car will win a pair of Blaze King socks!

Ready, Set, Go.......

12 Pairs ONLY!

BKVP
socks.jpg

No it's not a 1970! everyones guessing 1970....

Status
Not open for further replies.