2018-19 Blaze King Performance Thread Part 1 (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You need a wood furnace. I do not believe the King will bring your shop up to temp in a way that the current unit will. There are forums here in Hearth.co that will help you with the correct/best model for your application.

I love that old unit. I think it would make a great project...like turning it into a clean burn model.

There is totally room for a baffle at the top if nothing else.

Do you really think the King is hopelessly undersized, if he is burning the Iron Orb Of Fiery Wrath so low that it is making creosote? Understood that a wide open 15 CF smoke dragon vastly outclasses a 5 CF EPA stove in raw heat output.

This is going to be the first guy who ever gets told that his smoke dragon is too awesome to replace in the BK thread. ;lol

Last edited:
Reactions: MissMac
He's burning the sputnik low enough to have creosote problems, so he is probably not seeing near 65% efficiency. Smoke dragons had a huge efficiency boost at high burn because that red hot firebox had a certain amount of accidental secondary action. (Entirely accidental at first, then they started adding baffles and stainless grids and stuff to try to do it on purpose.)

I know you know this stuff, just posting for the younguns.

(As a side note, I keep looking at that tree-wrecking ball. I have never seen one before and I think I love it. Still rather have a king as a practical heater, but how cool is the Steely Orb Of Flames?)

Believe it or not it has two air controls, one at the base and one by the chimney, the one by the chimney acts as a secondary burn bringing the smoke/heat/flames down in front of the flames back into the fire.

Yes in love with the stove wish I could figure out how to make it more "functional"

You are correct. I had neglected the size difference, I didn’t realize the Lincoln was much larger than the King.

That is my problem this thing is 42" sphere it puts out some DAMN heat. you let it roar it will cook you into a corner, yet that ol lady in the pics is damn near sitting on it....leave the dirty comments alone here, ;)

You forgot "Somebody needs to saw up this firewood!" ==c
Heating a area that big is beyond my knowledge base.
Yeah..looks like you'd be heating a leaky 8000 sq.ft. house with not much insulation (yet.) And where does he live? North Dakota? :eek:
Add the King for more flexibility, but keep the Sputnik. Or add a Kuma Sequoia, but you would lose almost 1 cu.ft. of fire box, if Kuma's 3.6 cu.ft. is legit..? I'm not sure if there are any other stoves that would approach the King's legit 4.3 cu.ft.

There is totally room for a baffle at the top if nothing else.

Do you really think the King is hopelessly undersized, if he is burning the Iron Orb Of Fiery Wrath so low that it is making creosote? Understood that a wide open 15 CF smoke dragon vastly outclasses a 5 CF EPA stove in raw heat output.

This is going to be the first guy who ever gets told that his smoke dragon is too awesome to replace in the BK thread. ;lol

Pretty unique, huge, badass stove!

Even if that ball is only 3 feet across that's over 14 cubic feet. 4/3 pi r cubed. The loading door is either ridiculously tiny or that ball is over 4 feet across!

Pretty unique, huge, badass stove!

I was half joking earlier when I said that maybe you should do both, but maybe you should do both. The King is awesome at holding steady, and Ole Fireball is awesome at heating up quick.

You might wind up with the girl and the dog in that space full time; not sure if that is a plus or minus for you. ;)

You are correct. I had neglected the size difference, I didn’t realize the Lincoln was much larger than the King.

ford hacker stated above that the guy posing beside the oddly shaped but cool as he’ll stove is 6’-5” for reference.

I was half joking earlier when I said that maybe you should do both, but maybe you should do both. The King is awesome at holding steady, and Ole Fireball is awesome at heating up quick.

You might wind up with the girl and the dog in that space full time; not sure if that is a plus or minus for you. ;)

well dogs bed is right next to the stove, if I bought a BK for out there without selling this one mine would be out there as well!

That's 22cf total volume, so maybe 15cf of useable firebox. (Which is what I guessed earlier, go me.)

Great job, several beers into the night I tried to figure that out and I finally just gave up had another beer then forgot about it lmao!

Well considering I usually load it 1/4 to 1/3 full 2-3 times a day and it keep the shop at 60 degrees with chimney only at 150-200 degrees...

Sorta reminds me of a Webber Kettle grill. I think the guy that designed it got the idea by cutting a lake buoy in half for home use. I wonder if this thing has a similar story.

Well, given that the shop is likely to be so toasty warm at all times, are you against this outcome?

Well depends on the night I am usually working in it from 6pm till 11pm every night anyways, some nights i have just wanted to crawl into a cot next to it!

Had one, horribly inefficient perhaps it was just the one i had but it burned twice if not 3 times more wood than this and it was burning correctly plus you did not get the radiant heat of the wood.
I think the suggestion is for an indoor wood furnace, not outdoor as you say you had... fyi
unnamed_4d08ee16-90f5-477b-98d5-4008bc89198a_1024x1024.jpg

That is definitely an option haven't seen one of that size. Anyone know if they put of the radiant heat like wood stove or just forced air?

The window opening will dump out lots of radiant heat and even when these things are fully ducted in a basement, the basement does warm up some so they do give off some heat but not like the ball stove.

The furnace will have much smaller firebox than your ball stove and will need refueled every 12 hours or so. They aren't particularly efficient or clean burning compared to modern stoves but much better than the ball stove. Also, they have much more output than modern stoves.

I have a 14' ceiling in my 30x60 well insulated shop. It is too much for a modern woodstove. You're firmly in furnace or boiler territory.

You forgot "Somebody needs to saw up this firewood!" ==c
Yeah..looks like you'd be heating a leaky 8000 sq.ft. house with not much insulation (yet.) And where does he live? North Dakota? :eek:
Add the King for more flexibility, but keep the Sputnik. Or add a Kuma Sequoia, but you would lose almost 1 cu.ft. of fire box, if Kuma's 3.6 cu.ft. is legit..? I'm not sure if there are any other stoves that would approach the King's legit 4.3 cu.ft.
Regency 5100

Status
Not open for further replies.