2018-19 Blaze King Performance Thread Part 1 (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
32 times 8 # is like 250# of fuel. Whoa! That should have burned for a week on low. Don’t they cost like 2$ each? So that was a 60$ load of stove fuel?
It was a different product. I’m not familiar with neils obviously... These were like 1lb blocks.

Does anyone here know how to adjust the fan on the princess insert? Something has to be wrong with it, it rattles and screeches so loudly around the mid setting that I cannot use that setting at all. Thanks in advance

Dunno about the screech. Mine does the rattle if I don't maintain it every year. Pop the side cover off, clean the blades in the squirrel cage, and (prepare to curse whoever picked the fasteners involved, because I had to make a tool for this) tighten down the bolts a little. The side you can see is a 3/8 nylon-insert locknut and the side you can't is a wafer head slotted screw, and combined with the way you have to stick your hand into a 3/4" gap that is 500 degrees on one side, it is sure annoying.

I haven't pulled the whole fan unit and disassembled it for lubrication yet, but when I do, user-friendly fasteners will be used to put it back in. There is plenty of room for them, and I think a regular distributor wrench will get in there post-upgrade.

Did anyone ever figure out what happend to that burnt-out Princess a few weeks back? I don't want to make the same mistake. Thanks

Super high draft and a bad gasket, if I recall. Do the dollar bill test on your door gasket yearly. If your flames don't snuff when you turn the thermostat down to minimum, you have problems and need to correct them.

Reactions: chazcarr
Dunno about the screech. Mine does the rattle if I don't maintain it every year. Pop the side cover off, clean the blades in the squirrel cage, and (prepare to curse whoever picked the fasteners involved, because I had to make a tool for this) tighten down the bolts a little. The side you can see is a 3/8 nylon-insert locknut and the side you can't is a wafer head slotted screw, and combined with the way you have to stick your hand into a 3/4" gap that is 500 degrees on one side, it is sure annoying.

I haven't pulled the whole fan unit and disassembled it for lubrication yet, but when I do, user-friendly fasteners will be used to put it back in. There is plenty of room for them, and I think a regular distributor wrench will get in there post-upgrade.

Super high draft and a bad gasket, if I recall. Do the dollar bill test on your door gasket yearly. If your flames don't snuff when you turn the thermostat down to minimum, you have problems and need to correct them.
I’m not sure why you had trouble with the fasteners, I’ve had them apart several times with no problems. Pulling the whole assembly is super easy. It’s designed to be pulled as an assembly, easy breezy.

Reactions: jetsam
I’ve burned like 6 at a time in my princess. Niels. No expansion or other problems, just burn like wood. I chose 6 because that’s 48# which is the weight of firewood I can fit in the box.

Totally controllable but not smoke free which was the goal of my experiment with the logs. If they cost the same per lb as firewood then I would be burning them right now. How on earth are you getting them so cheap or is it just that firewood is so expensive for you?

Where i am in Idaho a cord is about $350.00
I can buy a pallet of Niels, supposed to be around a cord and a half for around $225.00 if i pre order 4 pallets in the summer.

I’m not sure why you had trouble with the fasteners, I’ve had them apart several times with no problems. Pulling the whole assembly is super easy. It’s designed to be pulled as an assembly, easy breezy.

I've actually never tried. At the time that I want to tighten the mounting screws, it is because I am annoyed at the noise right that minute. The fan is in use and the stove is hot. ;em

I know a sensible person would just remember to take it apart next time the stove is cold, but A) I won't remember and B) Next time the stove is cold is in May sometime. I suppose I could just pull it and let the stove poot along with no fan, though. Okay, so that last one is what a sensible person would do.

See, I got there eventually! ;lol

Where i am in Idaho a cord is about $350.00
I can buy a pallet of Niels, supposed to be around a cord and a half for around $225.00 if i pre order 4 pallets in the summer.
If you paid top dollar for a cord here in southern Indiana it would be about $180, $120 in the off season. I could burn LP instead of wood at $350 a cord and come out even.

Reactions: bholler
I've actually never tried. At the time that I want to tighten the mounting screws, it is because I am annoyed at the noise right that minute. The fan is in use and the stove is hot. ;em

I know a sensible person would just remember to take it apart next time the stove is cold, but A) I won't remember and B) Next time the stove is cold is in May sometime. I suppose I could just pull it and let the stove poot along with no fan, though. Okay, so that last one is what a sensible person would do.

See, I got there eventually! ;lol
Just pop the whole assembly out next time. You can tighten the mounting bolts, blow out the dust, lube it up all at once.
I’ve often just had to bend the air deflection shields and/or mounting bracket a little to get the noise to stop.

I put like 32 of them in my Ashford as an experiment. Did awesome!
Same here - whole pack, got like 30hrs from it, it was a fun experiment, poor BG nearly had a heart attack when I posted the pics

Reactions: Ashful
Has anyone had issues with the cat flame shield warping over time? I find that after months of burning the bottom edge that goes at the bottom of the cat can get wavy. This seems to allow flames to get pulled through beneath the shield toward the cat. When I notice this I remove the shield, set it on a hard surface (ie. garage floor), and bang it flat again with a hammer. Today I broke the two tack weld off one of the side supports doing this. I redid the tack welds with my MIG welder and was back in service.

Is the straightness of that lower edge of the cat flame shield critical to protecting the cat from flame impingement?

If you paid top dollar for a cord here in southern Indiana it would be about $180, $120 in the off season. I could burn LP instead of wood at $350 a cord and come out even.

Yea, but not the same as heat from a wood stove. I don't burn wood to save money, I burn it because I love the way it feels and warms the house.

I wouldn't use the LP if it was free unless I ran out of wood for some reason

Reactions: gregbesia
Yea, but not the same as heat from a wood stove. I don't burn wood to save money, I burn it because I love the way it feels and warms the house.

I wouldn't use the LP if it was free unless I ran out of wood for some reason
I also like the radiant heat, but the furnace isn’t necessary cold, if it’s installed properly..

Has anyone had issues with the cat flame shield warping over time?

Just take it out and pound it flat on concrete. Good as new, almost.

the bottom edge that goes at the bottom of the cat can get wavy.
Anyone got a pic they can post? It would take a pretty large gap for flame to get pulled through, I'd think..

6bfdbc231e20074028fdc0c8c83c911e.jpg

It’s here! [emoji33]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No I paid separate for it. Since the insulated was recommended I went with that.

But it was shipped together? Looks like it. That’s the brand we use, it’s made pretty close to me in Indianapolis.

But it was shipped together? Looks like it. That’s the brand we use, it’s made pretty close to me in Indianapolis.

Yes... well I bought it from a distribution center so that might explain the wrap and ship....HUGE thanks to @BKVP for the contact and socks!

I’m charging up the camera to film the install. I’m looking to be the worlds first BK Ashford 25 insert install vid on YouTube! Seriously... none exist!

Reactions: Highbeam and lsucet
Yes... well I bought it from a distribution center so that might explain the wrap and ship....HUGE thanks to @BKVP for the contact and socks!

I’m charging up the camera to film the install. I’m looking to be the worlds first BK Ashford 25 insert install vid on YouTube! Seriously... none exist!

We do tons of liners from national chimney, if you’ve got any questions just let me know.

Reactions: Ashful

So did you get it fired up yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.