2018-19 Blaze King Performance Thread Part 1 (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the suggestion is for an indoor wood furnace, not outdoor as you say you had... fyi
This is the furnace style I was recommending you research. Not a outdoor unit. Not a chance!

38,500 cubic feet to heat. Just on the square. Not sure if you are putting up a ceiling? If not you add the peak area as well. You need massive heat::P Great challenge....

Last edited:
This is the furnace style I was recommending you research. Not a outdoor unit. Not a chance!

38,500 cubic feet to heat. Just on the square. Not sure if you are putting up a ceiling? If not you add the peak area as well. You need massive heat::P Great challenge....

Yes one of these might work better. Been around a hotblast brand but not one of that size. Would only recommend an outdoor one to my worst enemy!

Reactions: moresnow
Oh yeah, that's a big box and tosses serious heat, being a hybrid..
A local dealer has one for sale used for $1900. The customers weren’t happy with it. Long story... the kind of people that can’t be pleased I’m afraid.

A local dealer has one for sale used for $1900. The customers weren’t happy with it. Long story... the kind of people that can’t be pleased I’m afraid.
Wet-wood people? ;)

the last few loads in the princess seems to be burning on the right side. Wondering if anyone else has this going on. The Ashford always burns the center out first, about halfway through the burn I have ti rake everything back to the center

the last few loads in the princess seems to be burning on the right side. Wondering if anyone else has this going on. The Ashford always burns the center out first, about halfway through the burn I have ti rake everything back to the center
sometimes my loads burn from the centre, sometimes first on one side across the firebox. probably has to due with the MC of the splits, or their size, or which side had more coals on reload - stuff like that. i don't worry about it or rake it mid load - all the wood is consumed during the burn with the stove in the active range, so that's all i pay attention to. why do you rake mid-load? will it fall inactive with some wood left in the box if you dont?

I have a new king ultra which i will be burning in Idaho.
I have great access North Idaho energy logs.

Can i Load the box full of those and run only on those logs?

Doing the math I can purchase those for less money than I can buy cord wood.

The paperwork for those logs says to only burn a couple at a time.

I have burn them in a small catalyst stove i have in another building on the property
but I just put like 3 on the bottom and stuff it full the rest of the way with cord wood
and i get longer slower burns the last 4 hours because of how hot the E logs burn.

I can buy them in bulk at a good price and I thought it would be nice to burn the new king with just the Idaho
energy logs.

Seems like if i could i would long super clean burns but i don't want the stone to have a melt down in the new house.

Thank You,

Gary

I have a new king ultra which i will be burning in Idaho.
I have great access North Idaho energy logs.

Can i Load the box full of those and run only on those logs?

Doing the math I can purchase those for less money than I can buy cord wood.

The paperwork for those logs says to only burn a couple at a time.

I have burn them in a small catalyst stove i have in another building on the property
but I just put like 3 on the bottom and stuff it full the rest of the way with cord wood
and i get longer slower burns the last 4 hours because of how hot the E logs burn.

I can buy them in bulk at a good price and I thought it would be nice to burn the new king with just the Idaho
energy logs.

Seems like if i could i would long super clean burns but i don't want the stone to have a melt down in the new house.

Thank You,

Gary

I haven't used them in my BK yet, but did for my Regency, there are only 2 things I noticed.

1) You need to leave room for about a 33% expansion of the logs in all directions.
2) You need to run some hardwoods in there every other day in order to have coals, otherwise the next load of NIELs wont start to burn very easy.

sometimes my loads burn from the centre, sometimes first on one side across the firebox. probably has to due with the MC of the splits, or their size, or which side had more coals on reload - stuff like that. i don't worry about it or rake it mid load - all the wood is consumed during the burn with the stove in the active range, so that's all i pay attention to. why do you rake mid-load? will it fall inactive with some wood left in the box if you dont?

Im sure it might go inactive unless you poured the air to it. Just looks like the right thing to do.

Im sure it might go inactive unless you poured the air to it. Just looks like the right thing to do.
I dont touch mine till is almost time for reload or/if house temp is dropping, then i rake them to the front with air wide open to get more heat from them. Most of the time mines burn all the way back from the center and to the sides. (not all the times). I dont see the cat dropping out of the active zone cause this condition. Anyway the tstat is still opening and they burn down too.

thats what i do after i rake them forward and evenly is crank the air, I usually get few hours extra heat

Reactions: lsucet
I haven't used them in my BK yet, but did for my Regency, there are only 2 things I noticed.

1) You need to leave room for about a 33% expansion of the logs in all directions.
2) You need to run some hardwoods in there every other day in order to have coals, otherwise the next load of NIELs wont start to burn very easy.

Were you able to stuff it full with the north Idaho energy logs without having any problem of an over fire

I believe that BKVP burns mostly NIELs in his King, and he is the BK expert.

My advice would be to make sure that your gaskets are in good order and not leaking anywhere, but beyond that, shouldn't be an issue due to the excellent controllability of these stoves.

Were you able to stuff it full with the north Idaho energy logs without having any problem of an over fire
Oh yeah, though the regency only held about 6 of them. As long as the door seal is good it was very controllable. I would sleep well (and warm) every night

Does anyone here know how to adjust the fan on the princess insert? Something has to be wrong with it, it rattles and screeches so loudly around the mid setting that I cannot use that setting at all. Thanks in advance

I got a shipping notification on the BK Ashford!
Question on the lock off plate. If I need to split it in two pieces. Should I cut it an inch length wise longer to over lap the two pieces or just cut it to length and put hearth cement and high temp silicone at the seam?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did anyone ever figure out what happend to that burnt-out Princess a few weeks back? I don't want to make the same mistake. Thanks

I’ve burned like 6 at a time in my princess. Niels. No expansion or other problems, just burn like wood. I chose 6 because that’s 48# which is the weight of firewood I can fit in the box.

Totally controllable but not smoke free which was the goal of my experiment with the logs. If they cost the same per lb as firewood then I would be burning them right now. How on earth are you getting them so cheap or is it just that firewood is so expensive for you?

I got a shipping notification on the BK Ashford!
Question on the lock off plate. If I need to split it in two pieces. Should I cut it an inch length wise longer to over lap the two pieces or just cut it to length and put hearth cement and high temp silicone at the seam?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Overlap an inch.

I’ve burned like 6 at a time in my princess. Niels. No expansion or other problems, just burn like wood. I chose 6 because that’s 48# which is the weight of firewood I can fit in the box.

Totally controllable but not smoke free which was the goal of my experiment with the logs. If they cost the same per lb as firewood then I would be burning them right now. How on earth are you getting them so cheap or is it just that firewood is so expensive for you?
I put like 32 of them in my Ashford as an experiment. Did awesome!

I put like 32 of them in my Ashford as an experiment. Did awesome!
32 times 8 # is like 250# of fuel. Whoa! That should have burned for a week on low. Don’t they cost like 2$ each? So that was a 60$ load of stove fuel?

Reactions: Ashful
Status
Not open for further replies.